Trophy Wiring Up The Solenoid

Discussion in 'Sprint & Trophy' started by tedred57, Jul 6, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. tedred57

tedred57 New Member

Aug 23, 2015
    Widnes
    Evening all..has anyone got a photo of the wiring up of the solenoid/starter relay on a Triumph trophy 900 1998 model...the previous owner has pretty much wired it all up with sticky back plastic,insulation tape and super glue...all the wiring under the tank and from the battery and solenoid is a mess and pretty much stretched to the limit and has no give in it...Just purchased a new solenoid and I'm assuming the fuse carrier should be taken off the old one and pushed onto the new one which I've done...the letters M and B are next to each terminal ...I have no clue of their importance...can some one shed some light on that for me please...the electrics are a mess and I'm running out of patience and fed up of throwing money at my bike and getting nowhere...currently not running and not even getting a click out of the starter relay as I'm unsure of the wiring as its such a disaster...Help!!!!

2. MickEng

MickEng Noble Member

Sep 29, 2016
    West Yorkshire
    Similar problem raised by another forum member this week.
    The recommended solution was to fit a new wiring harness.
    Certainly worth considering if the wiring is as bad as you say.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. tedred57

tedred57 New Member

Aug 23, 2015
    Widnes
    Its a bloody mess mate...as I said in my post I'm sick of throwing money at the vehicle...im reasonably ok at most maintenance on the bike but stop short at electrical problems which seem to be the crux of the problems with the bike...im really not prepared to pay out any more dosh for the local motorbike dealers to fit a new wiring harness which in truth they really don't want to do

4. MickEng

MickEng Noble Member

Sep 29, 2016
    West Yorkshire
    If you are planning on keeping the bike it would definitely be worth doing.
    It is not too difficult a job to do yourself if you go about it in a logical manner and mark everything up prior to removal.
    It's your call mate, but it sounds like you are going to,be chasing your tail for ever more with stretched and glued wiring.
    Even if you plan to sell, you risk the chance of a dissatisfied buyer unless you are dead honest with them.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Sprinter

Sprinter Kinigit

Aug 17, 2014
    uk
    Whats the history? What are you trying to do? Whats the problem? Whats the capital of Portugal? All this and more, please,on your next instalment.

Did it ever start with you? When was it last running? Do you get lights or horn or anything instruments?

• Funny Funny x 1
  6. tedred57

tedred57 New Member

Aug 23, 2015
    Widnes
    Everything works on it..indicators,horn,lights etc...replaced the starter relay and that's when I came across the wiring problems...brand new Solenoid and because all the wiring and the connectors are so worn I'm struggling to get it firing over...last had it running last Monday.. that's when the starter relay failed

7. Petrol

Petrol Well-Known Member

Sep 18, 2016
    North Wilts.
    There used to be a time that I found electrics intimidating. M for motor B for battery. ( the big wires ) Apply a 12 volt power to the little teminals and it should make a loud click Do you have a haynes manual with colour wiring diagrams. Do you have a multi meter? What is the exact model. First numbers of the vin. Then I may be able to help.

tmp_18521-20170706_1731002027721253.jpg

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  8. MickEng

MickEng Noble Member

Sep 29, 2016
    West Yorkshire
    Bloody hell Petrol!
    Those electrics look pretty intimidating to me, what's that yellow thing with the red and black leads coming from it, I can't find one anywhere on my Bonnie ?

9. tedred57

tedred57 New Member

Aug 23, 2015
    Widnes

10. Grumpyintheshed

Jun 9, 2017
    Nr. Swansea, Wales.
    The solenoid in front of the battery?
    Just popped out and took these if its any help.
    Looking down as you sit on the bike red/white to left spade, black/ white to right. Battery +ve big red cable to left bolt on conn, and other side off to starter motor (I guess, didn't fancy pulling all the panels off :) )

I would guess that the red/white comes from the starter button via a fuse which when pressed sends 12v to solenoid, the other side being earth. This in turn activates the solenoid 'joining' the two big wires together, connecting the battery to the starter motor.

IMG_0851.jpg

IMG_0852.jpg

11. tedred57

tedred57 New Member

Aug 23, 2015
    Widnes
    Cheers mate...that's just what I needed...thanks very much...shall do that now

12. Petrol

Petrol Well-Known Member

Sep 18, 2016
    North Wilts.
    Its a garmin transformer. Turns 12 volts into 5.2 volts at 2.1 amps. Bacically same as a usb outlet on a desktop p.c.. I have wired it with a battery charger plug that sits behind a side panel. That way its not permanantly live and if I wish I can unplug it so as my garmin turns off.

• Useful Useful x 1