Wiring Fault in my other bike...any advice?

Discussion in 'Other Bikes' started by kaivalagi, Oct 18, 2013.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. kaivalagi

kaivalagi Member

Jul 31, 2013
    Hi All,

Just typical that my SM-T is outside of warranty by 6 months with almost 17K miles on the clock and I now have electrical issues.

It has a wiring fault, I think somewhere in the loom around the headstock there is a short....when I return to center from right lock on the steering the ignition cuts out.

I'm gonna try and strip the bike body work away this weekend and see if I can find the damn thing causing the problems and fix it.

I am guessing it's going to mean cutting the loom outer open and inspecting all the internals for wear...I just hope I can get to what I need to without disassembling too much

I've disconnected the positive terminal of the battery for now, just in case.

I want to be prepared, I have self-amalgamating tape, should I consider getting anything else for a repair? Anyone got any tips or tricks for me?

Cheers

2. kaivalagi

kaivalagi Member

Jul 31, 2013
    Well after a good look it's likely either the connector inside the ignition switch (the plastic piece under the key barrel) or the last bit of wire leading to it.

If I hold the wire steady against the frame and then wiggle the piece closest the barrel it cuts out:
    [​IMG]

Now the question is can this thing be dismantled and fixed or am I going to need need a new one with the wire already attached...looking at the parts finder this wire looks to be directly connected to the main loom and not through a connector...:(

I think whatever the case I now need to take the tank off (engine bars get in the way of that too) to better see what approach to take....

Any ideas/suggestions?

3. Screwball

Screwball Active Member

Mar 21, 2013
    Kent
    I'm just going to wish you good luck....

• Like Like x 2
  4. kaivalagi

kaivalagi Member

Jul 31, 2013
    The culprit:
    [​IMG]

Found 3 breaks in the wire in the end, 1 as above then 2 in the middle (after I thought I'd fixed it)....replaced all the wires with better quality more flexible ones and hot glued areas where they could excessively flex to give them some better support, fingered crossed this problem is long gone now.

• Like Like x 1