Winter Storing

Discussion in 'Speed Triple' started by Luke_88, Nov 24, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Luke_88

Luke_88 Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2018
    Canada
    Gents, I'd like to hear what the group does to prepare their bikes for storage and thoughts on using fuel stabilizer?
    I live in Canada, so no winter riding for me. It's time to put my sleeping beauty away Cheers

This is an interesting video I recently found on fuel stabilizer tests, worth a watch.

• Like Like x 2
  2. SteveRS

SteveRS First Class Member

Jan 12, 2019
    British Columbia
    -Fill tank with ethanol free fuel on the way home from last ride. I always use ethanol free fuel BTW
    -Immediately after last ride replace engine oil & filter
    -Inflate tires to max PSI
    -Plug in battery tender
    -Add fuel stabilizer
    -Clean entire bike
    -Spray exterior of engine down with WD40
    -Plug intake and exhaust
    -Last but not least, sit on bike for the last time and kiss her and tell her you will miss her, but not to worry, spring will be here before you know it. You know that you are lying to her but it makes her feel better, so you do it. Oh, and resist slipping a finger in her tail pipe, as this will get her all revved up and wanting you to ride her again, and that’s not fair now is it ;).

• Funny Funny x 11
  3. Ducatitotriumph

Ducatitotriumph Crème de la Crème

Apr 25, 2019
    Rothwell
    I have a small oil heater set on a timer to go on (low) at 9pm to 6am and also a dehumidifier (Best Buy EVER). And, I put a latex glove over the exhaust exit to hopefully stop condensation (not sure if that works but it DEFINITELY smokes less on startup after being installed).
    It’s also up to the brim with unleaded to stop condensation (fingers crossed). Tyres pumped up too.

• Like Like x 6
  4. EJB

EJB New Member

Dec 18, 2018
    Chicago, IL
    Saw that too, unfortunately here in the US midwest it's King Corn country so I would have to ride a tankful of gas to get non-ethonol and obviously that math doesn't work well. I threw in the Sta-bil as always because at least it showed mild improvement. Good incentive to find a nice, calm day each month and go for a ride (as I look outside to our first real snow covering of the year).

• Like Like x 3
  5. Octoberon

Octoberon Crème de la Crème

Jul 2, 2020
    Peak District, Yorkshire
    My garage seems pretty dry but it hasn't been through a winter yet so the dehumidifier may still be a good plan. I had an idea to heat the garage with solar panels but they got cut from the overall budget.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Octoberon

Octoberon Crème de la Crème

Jul 2, 2020
    Peak District, Yorkshire
    I've got a dual Optimate for my bikes and leave them on charge all the time. I thought the device would only charge when needed so never considered putting it on a timer. Is there some other reason you have one for yours?

• Like Like x 2
  7. Luke_88

Luke_88 Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2018
    Canada
    Which fuel stabilizer do you typically use?

8. SteveRS

SteveRS First Class Member

Jan 12, 2019
    British Columbia
    At the moment I have Motomaster from Canadian Tire, so I’m using that.

• Like Like x 1