Sprint Winter Storage

Discussion in 'Sprint & Trophy' started by Lenny B, Oct 4, 2015.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Lenny B

Lenny B New Member

Oct 2, 2015
    Cambridgeshire, England
    Hi All
    My first question may not only be related to the "sprint" but that's the bike I have . . . .. and don't I love it.
    My bike is way to clean to use for winter I have a jap hsck for that, so I need to know if I will have any issues removing the battery to put on a trickle charger as I do NOT have power in my garage.
    I also have a datatool alarm fitted but have emailed them for advise on that !
    As this is my first fuel injection bike that I need to "winter store", I have no idea if it affects the ECU.
    Any advise would be so helpful folks.
    LennyB

2. Tigcraft

Tigcraft Unheard of Member

Mar 29, 2014
    Holmfirth West Yorkshire
    I just drain tank, run the engine till it stops of fuel then raise the wheels so tyres are off the ground and take battery indoors. That's about it

• Like Like x 1
  3. Red Thunder

Red Thunder Crème de la Crème

Dec 2, 2014
    High Wycombe
    Regarding the battery and alarm, I may be wrong on this but it may be applicable.
    I understand that to remove the battery and have the Datatool disabled so it doesn't drain itself is to disable the alarm/or activate maintenance mode (ignition on (engine not running) and hold down grey and black buttons for 10 seconds until single beep), then remove the main battery connections.

This way the alarm is in a safe mode.

However, I hear of stories of alarms that have drained their own internal batteries and that has rendered them useless and disables them, this means the bike is immobilized and useless until the alarm is disconnected and the loom is made good = expensive!

Regarding fuel, I understand some people put a dose of Redex in the tank to avoid the petrol gumming up in the pipes and tank...

• Like Like x 1
  4. thebiglad

thebiglad Old fart, still riding !

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    Ideally getting all the fuel out of the bike is a good idea, but with fuel injected bikes and their high pressure pumps getting the fuel out without damaging the pump can be a bit of a lottery. By comparison, using a product like Seafoam stabilises the fuel so it can stay in the bike without doing any harm.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Lenny B

Lenny B New Member

Oct 2, 2015
    Cambridgeshire, England
    Thanks for replies, will look into the "redex" option and also the "seafoam" never heard of that one.
    Have had no reply from Datatool yet, but have read and I can put into service mode ? but no mention in handbook regarding "sleep mode"
    Can I assume then that removing battery has no effect on the ECU ?.
    Thanks Guys.

6. thebiglad

thebiglad Old fart, still riding !

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    Yes you can.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Lenny B

Lenny B New Member

Oct 2, 2015
    Cambridgeshire, England
    Many Thanks 'thebiglad'

8. Lenny B

Lenny B New Member

Oct 2, 2015
    Cambridgeshire, England
    Have just found the reply from Datatool in my spam folder,
    they gave asked me to contact their technical guy as I may gave problems with the older alarm system "veto evo"

So thanks "red thunder" for your reply.
    Maybe getting the alarm removed may be an option ?
    LB.