Winter Storage / Battery Maintenance

Discussion in 'Triumph General Discussion' started by BenRR, Aug 22, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. BenRR

BenRR New Member

Mar 19, 2018
    Toronto
    Hey all - question about battery maintenance over the winter:

My bike previous to this summer was a Suzuki SV, just barely fuel injected, no rider modes or fancy computer controlled wiz-bangery. With this bike, one of my items prepping for the long winter was to remove the battery, bring it into my warm shop, and hook it up to a battery tender.

My new Triumph though, (2016 tiger 800 xcx) has a lead off the battery to a quick disconnect. Is the intent with this to keep the battery hooked up and in the bike, and just plug a tender into this connector? is there a specific tender I need to buy now?

thanks!

• Like Like x 1
  2. BenRR

BenRR New Member

Mar 19, 2018
    Toronto
    Beuty! thanks guys

• Like Like x 1
  3. BigCLM

BigCLM Senior Member

Nov 30, 2017
    San Rafael, CA
    Yes, just keep it on a battery tender. No need to remove the battery from the bike. That is what I have always done and my batteries have always lasted many years. My new Street Twin also came with a lead already installed on the bike. I did move the lead to the opposite side of my bike to make it easier for me due to where I store my bike.

4. BigCLM

BigCLM Senior Member

Nov 30, 2017
    San Rafael, CA
    This is what I have. Most common in the states. Battery Tender Junior. Comes with various lead types for most applications.

upload_2018-8-22_16-21-26.png

5. steve lovatt

steve lovatt Something else

May 12, 2014
    North Yorkshire
  6. newcomer

newcomer Well-Known Member

Aug 6, 2018
    king's lynn
    I use the Oxford Oximiser 900 myself and hook up every time I get back after a run. Used to take battery off my bikes over winter at one time for storage but it was such a pain in the @rse getting out of the bike in some cases I now leave them on. Much easier just to hook up. You can also buy an extention lead that will reach just about anywhere in the garage.

7. GaryM

GaryM It's him, you know who. Him from you know ....

Apr 28, 2016
    Patna , Ayrshire
    Optimate 4 ( suitable for bikes with canbus).
    I just wonder how the feck they fit a bloody bus under the seat. No wonder you can’t store anything under there !!!!!

• Funny Funny x 1
  8. sam triple

sam triple Well-Known Member

Jul 11, 2018
    hampshire
    yup both bikes are on optimates and come winter both are up on paddock stands with both wheels of the ground

9. Help me Obi Wan...

Help me Obi Wan... Well-Known Member

Both my Tiger 1050 and my current Bonneville both had/have batteries that are over 9 years old, in-spite of all the warnings for the 1050, (get the bigger battery, they said, it will fail they said), no problems with either, both thumbed over no problem. I think just take it off, and tuck it up in a warm bed till spring.

Redneck-15.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  10. Dawsy

Dawsy Cumbrian half-wit
    Subscriber

Aug 24, 2018
    Cumbria
    Ok then as a simple mechanical draughtsman who can just about wire a plug, what is this canbus of which people speak? In language a three year old can understand which bits do I require to rig up a 2014 Speedy?:worried:

11. Ken walburn

Ken walburn Noble Member

Jun 28, 2017
    Essex
    I have an electric golf trolley which has an optimate type battery charger, so I hook the Thrux R to the the unit Sat to Thursday every week ( play golf Fridays)

12. GaryM

GaryM It's him, you know who. Him from you know ....

Apr 28, 2016
    Patna , Ayrshire
    Google is your friend here :) We mere mortals still find it confusing

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Dawsy

Dawsy Cumbrian half-wit
    Subscriber

Aug 24, 2018
    Cumbria
    Got myself an optimate4 delivered after reading the sage advice on here. Where have people positioned the charging point? By ignition switch or down under the tank?
    Cheers

14. Dawsy

Dawsy Cumbrian half-wit
    Subscriber

Aug 24, 2018
    Cumbria
    I only ask cos on the Speedy the battery is in front of the tank and there seems to be a lot of spray thrown up around rear wheel area. Cheers for replies ;)

15. Dawsy

Dawsy Cumbrian half-wit
    Subscriber

Aug 24, 2018
    Cumbria
    :p:scream:Ah well, will carry on as usual blindly fumbling along until I get there

• Funny Funny x 1