Will the smooth chrome sprocket cover fit the 2004 America

Discussion in 'America, Speedmaster & Rocket' started by Steve06140, Feb 20, 2015.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Steve06140

Steve06140 New Member

Feb 18, 2015
    Vence, France
    Hi all. I picked up a 2004 America which needed quite some work, but now running superbly. I want to "modernise" the look, and replace the silver (grey), ribbed sprocket cover with the more recent smooth, chrome version (I will change the rear footpeg mounts at the same time). Is this a direct replacement? In other words, are the fixing holes in the same place and using the same length bolts?

The official reply I always get from the suppliers is that it is not listed against my VIN, so I will try it at my own risk. I can't imagine that Triumph changed the design of the crankcase just to fit a different look sprocket cover.

2. crispey

crispey crispey creme de la creme

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
  3. Steve06140

Steve06140 New Member

Feb 18, 2015
    Vence, France
    Thanks for your reply. They say that they are all specific to one model and cannot be interchanged. Therefore the only way to go chrome is to replace the grey version with a chrome version of the same type. If anyone else has tried to change and has any experience of this, please let me know.

4. crispey

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    Sorry it was of no use, I have seen photos of 2003 Americas on triumphrat.net with chrome covers, maybe you could pm them. Or nab someone on the motorway and do a comparison. GL

5. crispey

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
  6. Steve06140

Steve06140 New Member

Feb 18, 2015
    Vence, France
    Excellent. I knew I had seen it in writing somewhere. How do you get to that page from their home page? If I go to Triumph Accessories » Speed Master Accessories » Speedmaster Carbs » Chrome & Carbon and select the Sprocket Cover, I get routed to America Accessories and Triumph part number T1263006 (the page you sent has part number A9738116 - I guess "A" stands for Accessory).
    If I follow the Accessories route for America, I don't find it.

Results of my research yesterday (in case anyone else tries to research this):
    - on triumphrat.net I found 2 Americas of similar age using the Bonneville sprocket cover. Some notes in the forums say that it will fit with minor modification to trim off some metal at the bottom, rear edge, to clear the frame (just needs some filing, or a Dremel)
    - I received confirmation from an alternative supplier that the smooth chrome sprocket cover for the newer America will fit (but now I have conflicting information from two Triumph shops)

I will follow up with World Of Triumph and try to clear this up. Researching both the part numbers above gives me a mix of pictures of both the smooth sprocket cover and the ribbed :-(

7. Steve06140

Steve06140 New Member

Feb 18, 2015
    Vence, France
    I suspect that T1263006 is a spare part. Since the 2004 America did not have a smooth chrome sprocket cover as standard, this item is not listed as a spare part for that model. In theory, you can only fit a spare part to the machine that it was originally fitted to.

A9738116 is an Accessory for the 2004 America, since an Accessory is an item that can be added to (or replaced on) a machine that never had it. I think that T1263006 and A9738116 are the same item - it's just the spare parts (Txxxxxxxx items) do not have any list of backward compatibility, so the shop can't tell that it will work on the 2004 America.

8. crispey

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
  9. Steve06140

Steve06140 New Member

Feb 18, 2015
    Vence, France
    Ha - I'm now told that A9738116 is obsolete and no longer available. So the only option is the "spare part" for the America EFI, which some of the shops tell me will fit.

My plan is to order the parts I need, plus this sprocket cover for the EFI, from my local shop here in France (much more complicated for me, as I have no idea of what the parts are called in French). It will only take a few minutes to check whether it fits, and if not, they can return it.

• Like Like x 1