Will Street Cup Flyscreen Fit Speed Twin?

Discussion in 'Bonneville' started by JPB, May 27, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. JPB

JPB Senior Member
    Subscriber

Aug 22, 2017
    Somerset
    Does anyone know if the street cup flyscreen will fit the speed twin? I saw one on a bike at Bridges in Exeter and it looked like the brackets holding the headlight on it are the same as the speed twin. I prefer the triumph mounting brackets over the dart piranha screen kit as they sit behind the headlight bracket.

2. Cupoftea

Cupoftea Noble Member

Dec 16, 2018
    NEW FOREST
    I believe that the Thruxton one fits but it's from a non original part.
    I think it's Dart. Best contact them.

3. JPB

JPB Senior Member
    Subscriber

Aug 22, 2017
    Somerset
    Spoke to the dealer and they confirmed the current Thruxton screen fits, so I’ve ordered the dark tint one to be fitted at the 500 mile service.
    I like the Dart piranha screen and they confirm their Thruxton one fits the Speed Twin. Not keen on their bracket, so going Triumph.

4. Bryf

Bryf Guest

Was wondering why you would want to fit a flyscreen to your Speed Twin, can't see such a small screen for instance giving much, if any wind protection based on the upright riding position of the bike! in my head (which is pretty empty to be fair) it feels as if it would look pretty strange on what's already a lovely bike anyway, but hey I could be completely wrong and might look the dogs, hoping you will post pics when fitted.

5. JPB

JPB Senior Member
    Subscriber

Aug 22, 2017
    Somerset
    I saw a twin recently with one fitted (dark tint) and it was a silver and black one like mine and it looked great. Not expecting any real wind protection from it, but for me more the look and also stop crap getting around the back of the speedo. I’ll put some pics up when it’s put on later in June when it gets it’s first service.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Notso

Notso Senior Member

Dec 17, 2018
    Solihull
    I put a little fly screen on my Street Twin, which looks a similar shape. The dealer said it gets you to 80mph. I cannot really compare to no screen on this bike, but I can comfortably go along at 70mph. On other naked bikes I have noticed much more buffeting over 60mph than I get, I think the headlight and screen work together to defect and smooth out the airflow.

7. Bryf

Bryf Guest

I have had a lot of full naked bikes over the last, probably 10 years or so, (had to give up on sports bikes due to arthritis problems), over this period I have had, an XJR 1300, GSX 1400 and 2 CB 1300's and to be totally honest I have never had what I would call a real problem with buffeting etc, and I regularly run in excess of the speeds you mention, maybe I am just lucky but I have never felt the need to fit a screen. By the way I am not knocking anyone who does fit one, just for me, as I said, I have never needed to and I prefer the look of a full naked with all its bits on show ;)

• Like Like x 1
  8. Notso

Notso Senior Member

Dec 17, 2018
    Solihull
    Got me curious now! Might try without the screen on for a bit to compare. If no significant difference I'd be tempted to go without as I like the natural look as well!

• Like Like x 1
  9. Cupoftea

Cupoftea Noble Member

Dec 16, 2018
    NEW FOREST
    I wear an AGV Agostini helmet so noise without a screen is bearable.
    Using ear plugs it's obviously better.