Wife Reversed Into Bonnie

Discussion in 'Triumph General Discussion' started by TonyG, Apr 22, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. TonyG

TonyG Noble Member

Dec 1, 2016
    Bucks
    Well, Like the title says my wife just managed to reverse into my parked Bonnie and knock it over, classic didn't see you mate!

Fell on r/h side, tank dented, exhaust and various other bits scratched, did my back in lifting it back up. Insurance job I suppose, tank was a limited burgundy and cream colour.

Crap........

• Face Palm Face Palm x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  2. freck

freck Elite Member

May 4, 2017
    Preston, Lancs, UK
    And when’s the divorce going through then Tony? Or is it a funeral? :p Hope you get the bike back to it’s best soon.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. TonyG

TonyG Noble Member

Dec 1, 2016
    Bucks
    Cheers all,

Still sinking in, just been for a lovely ride this morning as well. Probably put it through the wife's insurance. Exhaust is just a TEC Tracker, tank dented and scratched, was a special paint scheme run so not sure what can be done about that, brake pedal, headlamp, brake lever, etc. all scratched. To be honest I'm surprised it wasn't worse, and if the tank had been ok would have fixed it up myself.

Oh well, could have been worse.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. dilligaf

dilligaf Guest

This’ll be your EX WIFE :mad: that you’re talking about yeah :p

• Funny Funny x 6
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. crispey

crispey crispey creme de la creme

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    seriously check the options of getting it done yourself as the insurance will probably split it, either way it'll cost you, excess ncb etc. The paint can be matched by any auto paint shop worth its salt. If the tank isnt creased it might be able to be blown out or better still look here I'm sure your wife's hasnt been worn out yet

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Agree Agree x 3
  6. TonyG

TonyG Noble Member

Dec 1, 2016
    Bucks
    Can't see how the insurance will be split, parked bike, wife isn't going to deny fault. Tank is dented, but repairable I would say.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Sir Trev

Sir Trev Senior Member

May 27, 2017
    Buckinghamshire
    A replacement tank, even if it is a standard colour one, would be better than an insurance claim and all the hassle of the increased premiums.

• Agree Agree x 5
  8. Wessa

Wessa Cruising

Apr 27, 2016
    North West England
    Bad luck mate.....

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. TonyG

TonyG Noble Member

Dec 1, 2016
    Bucks
    Even a standard tank will be several hundred pounds, plus the other bits. Should be a straight forward claim on my wife's car insurance, and even with lost no claims can't see it being as much as the cost of the repairs.

Been looking at paint costs and a basic respray seems to come in about £400 plus. I imagine a replacement tank would be a lot more.

Cheers

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. freck

freck Elite Member

May 4, 2017
    Preston, Lancs, UK
    Looking on Fowlers website, it looks like a Bonnie fuel tank is around £670 to £795 depending on colour. Gulp! o_O

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Tricky-Dicky

Tricky-Dicky Crème de la Crème

Dec 12, 2016
    Norfolk UK
    The main point is who pays the wife's insurance? could work out costly to you in the end.;)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. Hamburg

Hamburg Senior Member

Dec 12, 2018
    Oxford, UK
    20 years ago my wife managed to drive my day old Mercedes estate into the back of a Ford Fiesta, and then said that I distracted her! :confused: I’ve now got a different wife :joy:

• Funny Funny x 10
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. stevethegoolie

stevethegoolie Elite Member

Oct 16, 2014
    East Riding of Yorkshire
    Don't let the insurance companies get the merest whiff of what has happened. This is what credit cards are for. They will screw you both over for years to come if you give them even half a chance!!

Cynical?? Moi??? You'd better believe it!

• Agree Agree x 8
    • Funny Funny x 1
  14. dilligaf

dilligaf Guest

If this was my dilemma :confused: the last people I would involve would be my insurance company :(
    Once you or your wife are marked down as a risk :eek: it’ll take years to shake it off :(

• Agree Agree x 9
  15. Tiglet

Tiglet Vintage Member

Mar 28, 2016
    Cheshire
    Don’t get involved with the insurance company, the less they know in your case the better.

• Agree Agree x 5
  16. BATEBY45

BATEBY45 Well-Known Member

Apr 29, 2014
    In 1993 I parked my nearly new Trophy behind my big van and went in to get a coffee, my son said " can you move the van so I can get my car out"

Yes I did.....after I picked the bike up and let my son out I found myself alone in the house, no one to complain too, no commiserations just deep gloom, so I feel your pain.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. Rspete

Rspete Elite Member

Jun 17, 2018
    Durham
    What do you say to your wife with 2 black eyes...... nowt you've told her twice.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  18. TonyG

TonyG Noble Member

Dec 1, 2016
    Bucks
    Will the insurance be that bad? No real experience of claims in last 20 years or so, but surely if my wife claims it may impact her insurance but not mine? This is just a minor accident and is why we pay for insurance. Might be being naive but can't see how it will have any impact other than the wife loses her no claims?

Called Jack Lilleys and they confirmed any tank repair will start around £450.

Cheers

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. TonyG

TonyG Noble Member

Dec 1, 2016
    Bucks
    Yes, you are right. Just got to weigh up increased premium on my and the wife's insurance against say £650 to £750 costs if I do all the other bits myself and get the tank done professionally. Can't increase the premiums that much!

Thanks all

20. TonyG

TonyG Noble Member

Dec 1, 2016
    Bucks
    Here you go. Both chips are in the middle of noticeable dents, bit hard to see from photo. I'd be happy with a plain colour respray with Triumph logos, but even looking at prices for that on the internet from mainstream bike paint shops was looking at easily £400 plus.

SAM_0801.JPG

• Agree Agree x 2
  21. TonyG

TonyG Noble Member

Dec 1, 2016
    Bucks
    Dents are much bigger than photo shows, might be able to pull them out but tank is much thicker metal there than a car door panel.

• Agree Agree x 1