Why You Need Hylomar

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Thorcusmodee, Aug 22, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Thorcusmodee

Thorcusmodee Well-Known Member

Jun 2, 2018
    Boston, Lincs
    Just for a laugh I thought I would strip the engine from my Trophy to see where the loud rattling noise was coming from, I had identified it was the bottom end. Upon stripping I noticed that the engine had been apart before, there was no sign of any blue Hylomar around the sets of the liners. The sump had plenty of coolant in it, the following photos tell the rest of the story. Next time somebody tells me that the engine runs as sweet as a nut I won't believe them until I have heard it for myself :)

P1070187.JPG

P1070188.JPG

P1070189.JPG

P1070190.JPG

P1070193.JPG

• WTF WTF x 2
  2. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    Proof positive that the ‘tools’ are not just the ones in the box!

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
  3. Tricky-Dicky

Tricky-Dicky Crème de la Crème

Dec 12, 2016
    Norfolk UK
    Looks like someone knew nothing about measuring clearances when messing with that engine.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Hack Driver

Hack Driver Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2017
    Denton, Maryland USA
    Sorry you have to deal with this mess. Good luck on the rebuild. That engine is such a pleasure when it's running right.

5. Tigcraft

Tigcraft Unheard of Member

Mar 29, 2014
    Holmfirth West Yorkshire
    Oh hell, how long have you had the bike bye?

6. Thorcusmodee

Thorcusmodee Well-Known Member

Jun 2, 2018
    Boston, Lincs
    I bought it a month or so back. I paid very little for it as it wouldn't start when I went to see it. The guy said it ran perfectly but the fuel tap was knackered so there was no fuel getting to the carbs. Fortunately I have a spare engine, I am now building a cafe racer - part 98 Trophy, part 92 sprint, part warped imagination on my part. I was going to rebuild the engine but as the crank would need regrinding it's not worth it. It's all good fun :)

7. Tigcraft

Tigcraft Unheard of Member

Mar 29, 2014
    Holmfirth West Yorkshire
    Glad it was handy money. I always buy ‘safe’ by buying cheap.