Why Is Triumphs Finishing Not Great

Discussion in 'Triumph General Discussion' started by Havit, Aug 15, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Havit

Havit Admin
    Staff Member Subscriber

Jul 17, 2015
    Kent
    #1 Havit, Aug 15, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2017
    I have to say after looking at loads of second hand Triumphs i was very surprised at how bad the Engines, Frames and swinging arms have held up. On early Tigers, the tanks have bubbled.This was one of the reasons that made me buy the Kawasaki. Corrosion was a big issue on a lot of the bikes......and yes before anyone says it , if a bike is looked after there shouldn't be any of these problems and yes there were a few that had been garaged and pampered. but in my opinion the finishing is poor for such good bikes . I looked in a Triumph dealers at some used bikes and again found so many bad spots on the bikes it did concern me.

What do you think ?

• Agree Agree x 2
  2. stollydriver

stollydriver Elite Member

Apr 25, 2015
    north wales
    Personally - I think that the accessories for the Rocket range are superb. However the wheel laquer is poor as it crazes badly. I know Triumph addressed this issue either by powder coating or better quality laquer. The tins seem to rust from the inside out - just takes more care.

3. Tigcraft

Tigcraft Unheard of Member

Mar 29, 2014
    Holmfirth West Yorkshire
    In all fairness my cast wheel bonneville has a really good finish on the frame, wheels and engine. The only thing I can knock it on are some of the cable rubbers sheaths have turned brittle and the chrome (oil) tube between the cylinders is tatty and that's on a 2013 bike

4. Sir Trev

Sir Trev Senior Member

May 27, 2017
    Buckinghamshire
    Probably no worse than the other big manufacturers. I chopped in my faithful GSXF650 for the T100 and at eight years old it was bubbling a bit on the casings and was a bit rusty aaround the radiator, despite me being averse to wet weather and it being a pampered garage bike.

• Agree Agree x 3
  5. Tal

Tal Active Member

Jul 3, 2017
    Milton Keynes
    I think that when you see a 2 or 3 year old bike for sale at a dealers that's not in very good nick the reason is probably the previous owner thought why should i bother looking after it i'm going to get shot of it after a couple of years so what's the point.

6. Sprinter

Sprinter Kinigit

Aug 17, 2014
    uk
    My 955i RS was loosing its powder coating and had no proven fix for the plastic tank bubbling every time I looked I found another, thats why I sold it.

In fairness, it was caused by ethanol and, when built there wasnt any ethanol in the petrol and the powder coating was 17 years old so Im on the fence on this one.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Kiwidave4

Kiwidave4 Well-Known Member

Nov 12, 2016
    Wellington, New Zealand
    Seems to be a function of maximising profit and farming out manufacturing to the lowest Asian bidder. My Thruxton is decidedly agricultural after my VTR1000. The paint is very poor, and the build quality makes me wonder if Triumph have ever heard of the term Quality Control.

The weather has stopped me riding much recently so I have been tinkering with the bike. Cable and hose runs had not been fitted to the guides that are provided, the main loom was pinched between the frame and the airbox, and some bolts had not been tightened while others seem to have been overtightened.

Although I enjoy riding the beast I am constantly wondering what will fall off or fail, which is something I never did on my VTR or the Beemer that preceeded it.

• Informative Informative x 2