Why Does The Rs For The Usa Have This Switch?

Discussion in 'Speed Triple' started by Jet City, Dec 5, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Jet City

Jet City Noble Member
    Subscriber

Sep 24, 2018
    Seattle, Washington USA
    When I picked up my 2020 Speed Triple RS, they spent some time showing me around the various TFT screens and various controls, including the ins and outs of the keyless ignition.

There is a switch on the right hand side of my new bike that disables the key fob. A thing that also happens automatically when you walk more than about three feet away from the bike.

According to the Owner's Manual, this switch is ONLY installed on bikes for the US.

Which makes me think, what bureaucrat thought this up? And why? What purpose is it supposed to serve? Apparently some phenomenon that only happens in the USA?

Triumph has installed an appropriately inexpensive switch, but I kinda wish my bike didn't have it at all.

Wacky Switch on Speed Trip RS.jpg

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Hobnail

Hobnail Senior Member

Jan 4, 2020
    USA
    Another example of your government getting in the way.
    Why people vote for more government is beyond me.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Omoishiroi

Omoishiroi Well-Known Member

Aug 28, 2020
    Scottsdale, AZ, US
    The other oddball is the tiny windscreen which is stock in the UK but not DOT approved in the US. Neither make sense.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. Ducatitotriumph

Ducatitotriumph Crème de la Crème

Apr 25, 2019
    Rothwell
    You are probably able to bypass it quite easily and then get rid?
    I should only think it's a case of joining up a few wires?

• Agree Agree x 4
  5. Jet City

Jet City Noble Member
    Subscriber

Sep 24, 2018
    Seattle, Washington USA
    That is indeed on my mind. I’m wondering how I remove this and make the bike an EU model, if you will. it can’t be too hard.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  6. joe mc donald

Subscriber

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    Jet City
    You know how we have to explain to you yanks. So Triumph though they would put it on the bike for you to see. Only joking. And don't have a scooby why they would stick it there. Perhaps some American legislation to have it. Don't know. Suppose it is that little extra security say when you go to pay for fuel or into a shop.
    Joe.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Col_C

Col_C I can't re...Member

Aug 5, 2015
    Cornwall
    Must be for your American legislation, no doubt your fire department requires a manual isolation switch? Probably Hardly Dangerous's fault for lobying government. ;)

• Funny Funny x 1
  8. Rocker

Rocker Elite Member

May 1, 2016
    Suffolk
    That's why we get all these crazy warning labels like this coffee cup may contain hot liquid
    Fuck the stupid it's called natural selection stop protecting them :mad:

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Pegscraper

Pegscraper Elite Member

Jun 12, 2020
    Yorkshire
    At a guess I'd say it's probably there in case of an accident to turn off the ign manually.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Rocker

Rocker Elite Member

May 1, 2016
    Suffolk
    What's wrong with this forum wheres the backbone it's ledgelestative bullshit full stop