Why Are Bmws Called Ditch Pumps

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by cliverdee, Mar 31, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. cliverdee

cliverdee Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2014
    Nottingham
    Pardon my ignorance but am I right that when members use the word ditch pump they are referring to BMW motorbikes ... at least that seems it to me... but if so what’s the reason behind it ? .. I’ve tried googling it but the results just come up with sucking water out of a ditch .... perhaps I was asking too much of google so know I’ll get more sense here ...

• Funny Funny x 9
  2. Scrambled head

Scrambled head Well-Known Member

Mar 2, 2019
    Sussex
    I always thought the term ditch pumps was a Harley thing?

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Bad Billy

Bad Billy Baddest Member

Jun 1, 2017
    Southern Softyville
    By Saying nothing, are you really saying something else ... mmmm! mind games eh!

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  4. steve lovatt

steve lovatt Something else

May 12, 2014
    North Yorkshire
    I give you the one true Ditch pump or Güllepumpe as the Germans called it.
    The Honda CX500. 20180628_190828.jpg

• Like Like x 9
  5. Bad Billy

Bad Billy Baddest Member

Jun 1, 2017
    Southern Softyville
    I think it may well be another Dozerism meant to be used in a derogatory way suggesting the the BMW engine was more suited to a ditch pump than a motorcycle!

@Dozers Dad has a few of these expressions that have now been adopted by the Forum, another popular one is CESM (Cheese eating surrender monkey) when referring to anyone French, I think the Dozerisms could probably do with their own thread as there are plenty more! :p

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Funny Funny x 3
    • Cheers Cheers x 1
  6. Tallpaul

Tallpaul Noble Member

Apr 7, 2019
    Kidderminster
    I think you are correct. My own CX500 is referred to as a ditch pump by friends.

• Like Like x 1
  7. MARKYMARKTHREE

MARKYMARKTHREE Senior Member

Feb 11, 2020
    SOMERSET
    Thanks for asking the ? as I have been far too embarrassed to ask being a gentle, timid, soft southerner. Still not sure if its a Harley or a BMW though, hopefully its a BMW as my nans shed got bombed in the war and she/we have never forgiven them.
    On another note I drive Mk3 Cortina's and the Mk2 brigade refer to them as "ditch lovers" due to their crap handling. o_O

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
  8. OldNick

OldNick Elite Member

Aug 11, 2019
    South Coast UK
    Brilliant - there is no better reason not to buy a BMW

• Cheers Cheers x 1
  9. cliverdee

Aug 5, 2014
    Nottingham
    Well I’m glad I asked the question :) ...but still haven’t a clue what the answer is ! ... ha ha :dizzy:... not that it matters as the comments are hilarious :D... keep safe all :mask:

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
  10. Alatamoc

Alatamoc Senior Member

Mar 29, 2019
    Uk
    I believe the Germans used to refer to their beloved flat twins as " rubber cows."
    Having owned 3 seventies BMWs I can understand why.

• Funny Funny x 2
  11. Tigcraft

Tigcraft Unheard of Member

Mar 29, 2014
    Holmfirth West Yorkshire
    Gummi kuh!

• Like Like x 1
  12. Alatamoc

Alatamoc Senior Member

Mar 29, 2019
    Uk
    • That's the one!

• Like Like x 1
  13. Tigcraft

Mar 29, 2014
    Holmfirth West Yorkshire
    Yes gummi kuh is what the deutche themselves call the boxer and known by them. I heard that from the first time a couple of years ago and was in stitches over it. A shaking big cow!

• Like Like x 1
  14. Alatamoc

Alatamoc Senior Member

Mar 29, 2019
    Uk
    It's an apt description of the alarming tendency of those seventies BMWs to weave when slowing down from speed

• Like Like x 1
  15. cliverdee

Aug 5, 2014
    Nottingham
    Ooh eck... with google not answering my search on the ‘ditch pump’ I thought I was just asking a one answer question... but now it’s got even more complicated:confused:... just glad I didn’t google ‘shaking cow’ or I’d have the deviant behaviour squad round to my door... schnell :worried:

• Funny Funny x 5
  16. Alatamoc

Alatamoc Senior Member

Mar 29, 2019
    Uk
    Actually they're very pleasant bikes...I'd have another if they weren't so pricey these days.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Alatamoc

Alatamoc Senior Member

Mar 29, 2019
    Uk
    My old 60/6 was the first bike I owned on which I could ( and did) ride the 500 miles home to the west coast of Scotland from Kent with only a fuel stop....and also knowing it'd get me there and back without breakdown and bits dropping off...oh and it was comfortable too

• Like Like x 4
  18. Schuey

Schuey Senior Member

Mar 3, 2020
    Midlands
    My dad had a Mk3 Cortina 2000E back in the day before I was born. Seen lots of pics of it, was Red, with chrome wheels and black vinyl roof and rear boot spoiler. Looked pretty good actually!

• Like Like x 3
  19. steve lovatt

steve lovatt Something else

May 12, 2014
    North Yorkshire
    I used to have a 2000 GXL Mk3 - dark blue with blue vinyl roof. Got totalled on Dartmoor in 1982. :mad:

• Like Like x 1
  20. Tigcraft

Mar 29, 2014
    Holmfirth West Yorkshire
    Now those shook like ‘ditch pumps’ when travelling round bends. In fact they reminded me also as a petrol powered waterbed

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1