Featured Whoo Hoo, Retired At Last.

Discussion in 'Triumph General Discussion' started by David Cooper, Sep 8, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. capt

capt Elite Member

May 8, 2016
    western Australia
    Hi @dilligaf @capt here , my defence pension started @ the tender age of 37 and 5 months .... ! It's been paying my mortgage , leaving me the true hardship of living of my wage's , at one stage SWMBO was earning more than me if you didn't count the pension. So I retired from the Army 04/07/99 and finally retired from work fully in may this year. SWMBO qualifies for the aged pension mid next year. I've got to wait until I turn 67/68 in ten years time ... Bummer that I have to wait so long for that !!!

• Like Like x 2
  2. Biker Jock

Biker Jock Senior Member

Nov 16, 2014
    Don't forget to take full advantage of OAP/senior/concession discounts & passes. They can make a difference. I still feel insulted when it's assumed I qualify, and it's only my innate meanness that prevents me arguing.

There is a sign in shops intended for young folks that says something like "don't be offended if we ask for proof of age when buying alcohol or tobacco". I get offended that they don't ask me!

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
  3. SleepyOwl

SleepyOwl Crème de la Crème

Jul 26, 2019
    Cornwall
    I reckon we have about 20 good years if you retire at 60 to get things done unless the inevitable happens early!
    All my pensions will go into a draw down and most of it will be taken monthly in the early years. I doubt we will need much money when we are in our 80's. Hopefully Im wrong :grinning:

• Like Like x 3
  4. Dawsy

Dawsy Cumbrian half-wit
    Subscriber

Aug 24, 2018
    Cumbria
    best wishes SleepyOwl you git! Not jealous at all oh no...... 6 years max to go for me.

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. Wire-Wheels

Wire-Wheels Elite Member

Apr 26, 2019
    California - USA
    Got to admit, I have really been blessed. Dec.31st. will be the 11th. anniversary of my retirement. Honestly, I did not think I would live this long. Leaving the job has lengthened my life. It was getting pretty hard to continue. Pulled the plug at 63. Thankfully, I planned well. The money has been better than expected. But life still has it's challenges. I actually have to run my life, plan my day. When I retired I met this older woman that they tell me has been my wife since 1972. And all this time I though she was the housekeeper ;) That has been a challenge. Just kidding, of course. ...J.D.

• Funny Funny x 7
    • Like Like x 3
  6. Biker Jock

Biker Jock Senior Member

Nov 16, 2014
    One thing that triggered my decision to retire 5 years ago, was the sudden appearance of Denis Healey eyebrows (former British MP & government minister famous for his large eyebrows). When I was in my early teens, I had a mop of hair that often hung into my eyes, and really annoyed adults (how can you see what you're doing with that hair!).

One day, while out on the bike, I realised that after 50 years, I once again had hair in my eyes. It was really annoying me. The arrival/curse of old man's big eyebrows! They now take as much of the barber's time to sort out as my merge hair.
    IMG_0610.JPG

• Funny Funny x 11
  7. Cyborgbot

Cyborgbot Guest

your life may come to an unexpected and sudden close should your housekeeper see this thread...

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Agree Agree x 2
  8. Wire-Wheels

Wire-Wheels Elite Member

Apr 26, 2019
    California - USA
    #88 Wire-Wheels, Nov 25, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 25, 2019
    NAW...She is a really good sort. We been together lots of years :D . She has kept ol' J.D. up and running since we were just young folks. They really don't make them like her anymore. ...J.D.

• Like Like x 5
  9. Cyborgbot

Cyborgbot Guest

Lots of years together?!? That equate of a lot of pent up venom... well it does if we’re talking about Mrs CB...

• Funny Funny x 3
  10. Sandi T

Sandi T It's ride o'clock somewhere!
    Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    When Mr. Sandi is "carded" (as we call it in the U.S.) when buying alcohol, he responds by asking, "Am I too old to buy alcohol?" :p

• Funny Funny x 3
  11. SleepyOwl

SleepyOwl Crème de la Crème

Jul 26, 2019
    Cornwall

6692434C-33E1-43A0-81C4-9C8DCCB1F220.png

• Funny Funny x 7
  12. Wire-Wheels

Wire-Wheels Elite Member

Apr 26, 2019
    California - USA
    #92 Wire-Wheels, Nov 27, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2019
    I used to get up at "O'Darkthirty" for 30 years and join what I called the Pickup Truck Grand Prix into Los Angeles and Orange Counties. That was the pre-rush hour when all us blue collar trades people went to work. Expect traffic.to.be doing 80-85mph even though the speed.limit.in those days was 55. I remember a Datsun 280zx I once owned would only let you set the cruise control no higher than 80 ! Just get in the flow and keep your right foot down. Never knew what the hurry was. I usually had to be at work by 6am, 80-90 miles away. Just had to go with the flow. :) …J.D.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Foxy1

Foxy1 Crème de la Crème

Aug 31, 2018
    Sheffield
    Not retired yet, but gettin owd does have some advantages. When I got to 60, the price of my season ticket to see my beloved Blades, went down by over £100. :)

• Like Like x 2
  14. Wessa

Wessa Cruising

Apr 27, 2016
    North West England
    @littleade

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  15. stevethegoolie

stevethegoolie Elite Member

Oct 16, 2014
    East Riding of Yorkshire
    Now, now you lot. Play nicely!

• Funny Funny x 1
  16. dilligaf

dilligaf Guest

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Love You Love You x 1
  17. Wessa

Wessa Cruising

Apr 27, 2016
    North West England
    What fine specimen of a man. I wish I had as much hair as him though ;)

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1