Who Owns A Bmw G S

Discussion in 'Other Bikes' started by Tricolore, Feb 5, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. steve lovatt

steve lovatt Something else

May 12, 2014
    North Yorkshire
    Another one for our younger viewers! :D

• Funny Funny x 1
  2. steve lovatt

steve lovatt Something else

May 12, 2014
    North Yorkshire
    It's the latest optional extra from BMW - at least it won't rust! :D:D

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Havit

Havit Admin
    Staff Member Subscriber

Jul 17, 2015
    Kent
    I think you nailed it Steve

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Face Palm Face Palm x 1
  4. Havit

Havit Admin
    Staff Member Subscriber

Jul 17, 2015
    Kent
    #24 Havit, Feb 9, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2018
    It must be a jewish bike:rolleyes: "4be2 "

5. GaleForceEight

GaleForceEight Noble Member

Nov 1, 2017
    Southend
    I tried wielding a golf bat once when one of my colleagues invited me along for a morning walk spoiled. He didn’t seem impressed when I regaled him with the story about the only time I’d hit two balls straight together being when I accidentally trod on a garden rake - and then fluked a hole in one on the pitch and putt less than a minute later! I had hoped I managed to look suitably embarrassed, but he didn’t invite me back.

• Funny Funny x 3
  6. Sprinter

Sprinter Kinigit

Aug 17, 2014
    uk
    Rackets, mate there called golf rackets.

• Funny Funny x 1
  7. Sprinter

Sprinter Kinigit

Aug 17, 2014
    uk

Nana

8. Sprinter

Sprinter Kinigit

Aug 17, 2014
    uk
    If its a used mile-muncher ;-
    download.jpg

9. GaleForceEight

Nov 1, 2017
    Southend
    I had to carry a rifle once to an armourer in central London. The flag was flying at Buck House so her Majesty was at home as I rode past with it slung on my back (in a gun slip, not in the open). I did get stopped by the police on my way to London because they weren’t sure if it was legal - so I explained what the law was, showed them my license, demonstrated that the bolt was separated from the rest of the rifle, and let them know I wasn’t carrying ammunition for it (although it wouldn’t have been illegal for me to be doing so if I was en route to or from a range) and they went away happy!

It’s not something I would normally do but the car was unavailable and meant the bike was the only choice.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  10. Baben

Baben Active Member

Aug 30, 2016
    Watton
    As ever this thread seems to have wandered a little! BMWs in general tend to divide opinions. I know quite a few people with GSs who love them and think they are the best thing ever but there are a few who have had a dreadful time with rear drive failures and other unexpected problems. I have owned an RS and an 800ST and I don't think I would risk another. As the complexity goes up the quality appears to be going down. The Missenden Flyer had a dreadful experience with his ESA suspension - dealer dealer wanted £2000 to replace it. Actually I think my Triumph is as complex as I would want a bike to get and I could live without some of the Euro 4 crap they have added as it makes them more complex and therefore, ultimately, less reliable. Probably ok for three or four years but thereafter I would be putting an emergency repair fund to one side.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Engineer

Engineer New Member

Jul 11, 2017
    Cambs/Beds
    I have had 4 BMW R1200 GS’s current one is a TE model, will be trading it in for a Rallye TE in April. Greatest all round bike ever made - simples :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Flay

Flay Well-Known Member

Sep 2, 2016
    Gondwanaland
    But then all Tigers are fugly also. I have a 955i which is so-so looks wise but I wish it looked like a Steamer which is the only handsome Tiger. The later bikes look like something out of Scrapheap Challenge. Of course the GSs started the craze for really nasty looking bikes.

13. Stevie d

Stevie d New Member

Nov 11, 2017
    Bury st edmunds
    Hi bud iv had two 1200gs both the LC models and could not fault them , if you want to do serious mileage these do it n comfort then when you get to the twisters they will still put grin on your face ,remember they do lowered version for people like me with 29 in leg ,

14. Stevie d

Stevie d New Member

Nov 11, 2017
    Bury st edmunds
    Hi bud iv had two 1200gs both the LC models and could not fault them , if you want to do serious mileage these do it n comfort then when you get to the twisters they will still put grin on your face ,remember they do lowered version for people like me with 29 in leg ,

15. Sprinter

Sprinter Kinigit

Aug 17, 2014
    uk
    Did a weeks tour last summer.I recon there were two GS's, for every other bike, of any make !

16. GaleForceEight

Nov 1, 2017
    Southend
    I still have an F800ST which (trying not to tempt fate here) has not let me down in any way!

17. Baben

Baben Active Member

Aug 30, 2016
    Watton
    I liked mine but the aftercare was shoddy. Also had a few things go wrong in under two years. Paint on engine flaking and on rear hub, the handlebars were made of cheese so the switchgear screws wore slots in it. ABs unit failed. But it was a lovely bike to ride and it could cover the miles. I could almost be tempted to have another.....

18. GaleForceEight

Nov 1, 2017
    Southend
    #38 GaleForceEight, Feb 12, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2018
    Mine is a 2010/11 model, so I think they had fixed the rear bearing and engine paint issues by then. The only work it has needed beyond oil and filter changes has been a replacement battery last year. It’s a good workhorse, and the only things I’ve found not to like is that the standard mirrors need a bit of elbow squeeze to get a full rear view (I’ve shied away from extending them out to keep her narrow for filtering) and there is a bit of pressure on the wrists on long rides at slow speeds.

The F800GT is the current equivalent and is (allegedly) improved based on their experiences and feedback from the ST.

Edit: I have just acquired a power commander V and auto tune module for her, to give the engine an easier time of it (all the manufacturers seem to be lean fuelling the engines to meet regulations at the expense of the hardware longevity)

19. thebiglad

thebiglad Old fart, still riding !

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    Following up on DD's comments I've had 2 GS's - the 1st was a brand new 1100 and did lots of long-distance work on it, maybe 20,000 in 12 months. Then traded it for an 1150 which was even better. I remember doing the SE of France back to Northampton in 12 hrs straight.

Very strong bikes that love to carry weight.

20. Bloody Bill

Bloody Bill New Member

Oct 10, 2017
    Tennessee
    i owned a gs 1200,2005, 2007, 2009 (Lowered) and a 2012 lowered and enjoyed every mile ridden, however the older I got the taller and heavier they got until finally I was not confident at slow speeds and was always looking for a perfect spot to park so I would not have to back up, I now ride a Tiger 800 XRx on which I can put both feet flat on the ground, I don't do much off road riding anymore so I am pretty much satisfied after putting more than 400,000 miles on the GS bikes

• Like Like x 1