Featured Who needs a Scottoiler?

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by thebiglad, Jun 1, 2015.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. thebiglad

thebiglad Old fart, still riding !

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    The subject of chain maintenance has cropped up recently in a number of threads and as it's the time of year when we all try to get some miles in, I thought I would write a short piece about my experience with the auto-lubing device called Scottoiler.

Just to wet your appetites : I have had my Scottoiler for 15 to 20 years, have covered perhaps 200,000 mls, have fitted it to maybe 4 different bikes over that period and have found the same, excellent results each time. I have never needed to buy a chain and sprocket set and never needed to adjust my chain between services. The only thing I do on a regular basis is to remove the sprocket cover and clean in and around it.

OK, so what are we talking about? It's an automatic chain lubing system driven by vacuum from your engine.

See linky : http://www.scottoiler.com/

This is mine on the bike : [​IMG]

My installation is not the prettiest in the world but it works perfectly.

So on to installation. The first thing to do is to find the vacuum points on your carbs or false carbs (EFI bikes). This is the point where the Scottoiler gets connected to the motor to get it's vacuum to operate the device. The Scottoiler kit is supplied with lots of different pieces of piping and connectors so everything you will need is included.

Run a vacuum line from the carbs to wherever you plan to install the reservoir, leaving some surplus for 'wriggle room'.

Now install the reservoir itself. I put mine on the RHS frame upright - as seen in the piccy - and fixed it with the kit provided.

After that is the delivery pipe. Coming from the bottom of the reservoir, under the swinging arm to a point on the rear sprocket equivalent to 7 or 8 'o clock. Cut this pipe to length and affix to swinging arm. Adjust the end injector so it is just above the chain links and almost resting on the sprocket.

Finally the reservoir breather pipe should be installed on the reservoir and parked somewhere suitable.

All you need to do now is fill the reservoir with Scottoiler's own oil -comes with the kit - set the adjusting knob on top of the reservoir to Full on to drag the oil right through, then set to perhaps 1 and check/adjust from there.

Scottoiler official instructions for an EFI Bonneville are attached.

A bit long-winded I know, but once you've used a Scottoiler you'll never go back to aerosol cans of gunk.

• Like Like x 5
  2. crispey

crispey crispey creme de la creme

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    Cheers biggy, makes me think about getting one!

• Like Like x 1
  3. thebiglad

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    To be honest mate it's a no-brainer. I have nothing whatever to do with the sales and marketing of this product, it's just that when you find something really good you want to share it around, no?

• Like Like x 1
  4. thebiglad

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    It depends. There can be fling-off if you don't set the adjusting knob correctly. I get some oil on my rear spoked wheel (which protects it beautifully) but I have NEVER had a problem with it on the tyre and causing hairy moments.

It might be useful to note that when set on the minimum setting (which is pretty-much where I have mine) there is ONE DROP OF OIL EVERY 30 SECONDS - we are not talking torrents here.

The rear wheel gets a bit of oil but comes off with kitchen towel - takes about 30 seconds tops !

Everything in life is a compromise isn't it? Careful adjustment reduces the fling-off to a minimum which is easily cleaned, but I never buy chains and sprockets.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Tigcraft

Tigcraft Unheard of Member

Mar 29, 2014
    Holmfirth West Yorkshire
    Are those new shocks dave?

6. thebiglad

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    No mate, they are my previous TEC basic shocks - about £50 the pair.

7. Jamie B

Jamie B New Member

May 3, 2015
    Bristol
    Fitted the Scottoiler E-System to my 2014 Street Triple yesterday ...after much pressurising by the Mrs (she purchased it for me last X-mas) I have been reluctant as most of the installs I have seen are much messier than the Biglad's which is immaculate in comparison.

I was pleasantly surprised there is a hollow point in the rear swingers where after a bit of a struggle and some fiddling I managed to thread the clear tubing through then nice and neatly out of the way (OCD Much??)

I was also worried about fling ...but the lowest it can be set at is 1 drop every 180 seconds. The recommended setting after initial setup was 1 drop every 50 or 60 seconds and then check. If it works well I may consider getting the dual injector. But I'm guessing as Biglad has had his system for 15 to 20 years he hasn't had a problem with the single sided injector not oiling both sides of the chain sufficiently, would he consider the dual injector overkill ?

• Like Like x 1
  8. thebiglad

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    Hi Jamie, I have considered the dual injector but tbh there hasn't been a problem sufficiently large, to solve - if you know what I mean?

I run mine on the lowest setting and still get a tiny amount of oil fling on the rim, but it takes about 30 secs to remove with kitchen towel (on it's own, no product req.)

Bare in mind that all chain lube products are not actually there to lube the links that is done by the factor-installed grease and 'O'-rings), more just to protect the chain from rust and keep it clean.

The fact that the Scottoiler uses non tacky oil rather than the wax in aerosol "non-fling" cans actually helps to keep it clean.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Jamie B

Jamie B New Member

May 3, 2015
    Bristol
    Just goes to show I'm a total Newb ...I actually thought we were lubing the o-rings as well. In that case I might knock it up to 1 drop every 80 seconds as the chain is looking pretty slick at the minute although there is no fling noticeable.

10. thebiglad

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    Actually you are. What I was trying to say is the the main lubing of the links is not affected positively by anything an owner could do. The links are pre-loaded with grease by the manufacturer and the 'O' rings job is just to keep that grease in. Using the Scottoiler will lube the 'O' rings therefore keeping them soft and supple for longer.

Also we shouldn't forget that it's not just the chain that is lubed,but the sprockets as well.

Bottom line is, if you run with a Scottoiler and keep the reservoir topped up your chain and sprockets will wear MUCH less.

Just give the chain a rub with a rag from time to time to ensure grit doesn't collect and affect those 'O' rings.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Jamie B

Jamie B New Member

May 3, 2015
    Bristol
    Thanks for the advice :) just got back from a nice 3 hours in the sun and the chain is still lovely and shiny still no fling ...can't seem to get rid of the smile from my face though although that's not really so much of a problem

• Like Like x 1
  12. thebiglad

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    Enjoy :):):):):):)

• Like Like x 1
  13. Eric_H

Eric_H Member

Oct 17, 2014
    Blackburn, Lancashire
    Good post Dave.

A Scottoiler was fitted to my Bonneville when I got it and the although I've only covered about 1200 miles on the bike I can say the the chain and sprockets are still look like new. You do get a little bit of fling but I just spend a few minutes wiping the back wheel and number plate off after I've been out on it. Knowing what I know now I would definitely be on my shopping list had it not been fitted when I got the bike.

I forgot to add:

The Oiler is fitted behind the lefthand side panel so other than the feed pipe at the sprocket end you'd not know the device was fitted. I also know it does 800ish miles befor I need to refill so I reset my second trip counter after I've topped up.

• Like Like x 1
  14. thebiglad

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    Great idea.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Eric_H

Eric_H Member

Oct 17, 2014
    Blackburn, Lancashire
    It's not a problem when you can see the reservoir but when it's hidden behind the side panel it's a pain in the arse to keep removing it just to check the level.

16. crispey

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    While I was in Nottingham this week, on the Thursday I went into a pub in Kegworth called the Red Lion, there were a load of bikes in the carpark and one just happened to be a beautiful thruxton with a custom paint job and arrows 2 into 1 exhaust. Anyway he had a scottoiler but it looked smaller than yours biggy, are there smaller ones and what sort of range would they have? OH! and another thing does the feed have to go onto the rear sprocket? can it be fed onto the front sprocket?
    The pub was having a local Suzuki owners meet, that's why the bikes were there. they were in a back room so couldn't chat to the guy/girl.

17. thebiglad

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    Hi Crispey, as far as I know the reservoirs are all the same size (the non-electronic ones) it's just the chain end fitments that can be different. Just remembered there was (don't know if there still is) a larger reservoir model for touring purposes. This seems to fit under the rear number plate.

I'm not absolutely sure so take what I'm saying with a pinch of salt, but I think the supply needs to go on the inside of the chain - easy to do on the rear sprocket, not so easy on the front but anything's possible.

Have only ever seen them working on the back though.

• Like Like x 1
  18. steve lovatt

steve lovatt Something else

May 12, 2014
    North Yorkshire
    Strong possibility that the Trident may be treated to one I think.

19. Eric_H

Eric_H Member

Oct 17, 2014
    Blackburn, Lancashire
    Don't know about fitting to the front sprocket but you'd have to look hard to see mine - the only visible sign is the thin 2" drip pipe under the swinging arm. all the pipe work runs out of sight from the back of the L/H side panel where the unit is fitted to the frame. The dimensions of the reservoir are here:- http://www.scottoiler.com/uk/vsystem/how-it-works.html . I think the system that is fitted to mine is the vSystem but it's just a single feed to the outside of the rear sprocket. I get around 800 miles to a fill but I don't let it run right down because then you have to faf about priming the system again.

20. crispey

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    cheers fellas