Speedmaster Which Windshield?

Discussion in 'America, Speedmaster & Rocket' started by Fork Lock, Oct 11, 2021.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Fork Lock

Fork Lock Elite Member

Feb 5, 2021
    South Jersey, The 51st State
    Or, for you British types, Which Windscreen?

I ride all year. We don't have brutal winters here in sunny South Jersey, USA, but it does dip into the teens in January and February. If it ain't snowin', I'm ridin'. I had a windshield on my Victory, but decided I wanted to get back to my roots and ride sans windshield, like when I was a kid (windshields were for old guys). I rode all last winter without one. Okay, I'm over it. I am an old guy. I want a windshield. Triumph wants $475 U.S. for a freakin' windshield! I don't want a little fly screen or one of those ones that are wide over the controls and narrower up top. I want something that looks like the Triumph Highway Kit shield. What are the best options for substantially less that $475?

Windshield.PNG

2. Dartplayer

Dartplayer Crème de la Crème

Aug 8, 2018
    New Zealand
    Hi Fort Lock, to get more than a fly screen, you may consider the Dart Marlin (in between both touring and fly)
    https://www.dartflyscreens.com/collections/triumph-speedmaster-1200

3. brown mouse

brown mouse Elite Member

Sep 15, 2018
    East Midlands, UK
    That was the first screen I tried, but after living with it for a few months couldn't stand the turbulence around my head. So I tried the smaller Classic screen to hope the turbulence would hit below my helmet, and must say that I didn't see much different to the Marlin. Both are now sitting unused in the attic.

Other people may have a different experience. I'm a few inches taller than average, and with my straighter handle bars have my head nearer the screen than those with the original 'beach' bars the Speedmaster comes with.

• Useful Useful x 1
  4. Fork Lock

Fork Lock Elite Member

Feb 5, 2021
    Thanks. I looked at the Dart Marlin. Price is right and install looks easy (I could take it off in the summer), but way too short. I need it to be at least 18" high, preferably 20".

Any other ideas?

5. Johnjo

Johnjo Senior Member

May 29, 2017
    Birmingham
    Puig have a decent selection for the speedmaster. Unfortunately they are an Italian company. Prices aren't too bad to import to the UK. I would imagine that's not the case for the USA though.

My bike came with the Triumph barn door fitted. It's fugly but it works well. I tried a Marlin for the summer but it's way too short for any decent benefit.

• Useful Useful x 1
  6. Fork Lock

Fork Lock Elite Member

Feb 5, 2021
    Thanks for the response. I looked at the Puig. They actually have some places stocking them in the U.S. However, the ones that look like they would fit the Speedy are neither high, nor wide enough.

I have a line in to National Cycle. They have a nice shield for about half of Triumph's price, but it doesn't come with any mounting hardware. I asked about the hardware, but they haven't responded yet. As well, if they have the hardware, it might push the overall price way up.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Johnjo

Johnjo Senior Member

May 29, 2017
    Birmingham
  8. Fork Lock

Fork Lock Elite Member

Feb 5, 2021
    Bingo!

Bought the Madstad in light gray.

Thanks!!

Case closed.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Dartplayer

Dartplayer Crème de la Crème

Aug 8, 2018
    New Zealand
    Sweet, interested in how you find it
    We all seem to have different experiences with the screens.
    I was happy with naked, :cool: but put the dark flyscreen on to protect the clock. Works well as helmet stand and glovebox :p

3E4E9A71-26C1-472B-B8DE-36A4771C76AB.jpeg

• Like Like x 1
  10. Fork Lock

Fork Lock Elite Member

Feb 5, 2021
    I will report/review once I get it installed and try it out.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  11. Fork Lock

Fork Lock Elite Member

Feb 5, 2021
    The Madstad wind screen came today. Ten days since I ordered.

I installed it this evening, but haven't had a chance to ride with it yet.

The order form has recommended windscreen height suggestions, depending on the rider's height. I'm 6'2" tall and they recommend the 20" screen. That's what I bought in the mid gray shading. It's the perfect height for me, but is also adjustable, a few inches up or down.

I am impressed with the product.

Pros:
    About $125 less than the Triumph screen.
    Thick, acrylic screen - 4.5mm and holes aligned perfectly with mounts.
    Gray shading is nice, even.
    Mount is sturdy and fit to the bike was correct.
    Quick detach system is clever - easy.
    The mounts left on the forks after detaching the windscreen certainly don't add to the looks of the bike, but they are fairly unobtrusive.
    The height of the screen is adjustable (about 3" up and 3" down, so there's plenty of latitude to suit you).
    The angle is also adjustable from nearly vertical to a very steep angle back toward the rider. (I'll know what suits me best after riding and playing with the angle)

Cons:
    The mounting instructions leave a lot to be desired. They are photographs that weren't done with the best lighting.

The parts aren't numbered or marked "L" or "R", so you have to fiddle with them a bit to decipher what part goes on which side and which end is up and which end is down.

To attach the bare acrylic screen to the mounts you get four screws, four flat, black plastic washers and four thick rubber washers, along with two flat steel washers. There are no instructions as to which side of the acrylic or in what order the washers go on. I had to go on line and find a Madstad installation video to set the washers up correctly. I never did find out what the two flat steel washers are for.

Just an observation:

The hardware that attaches the screen to the mounting system is minimalist. It is not the full chrome bracing you usually see on a dresser windshield. Not good or bad - just different.

All in all it's a very nice setup. Happy now.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  12. Fork Lock

Fork Lock Elite Member

Feb 5, 2021
    The Madstad wind screen came today. Ten days since I ordered.

I installed it this evening, but haven't had a chance to ride with it yet.

The order form has recommended windscreen height suggestions, depending on the rider's height. I'm 6'2" tall and they recommend the 20" screen. That's what I bought in the mid gray shading. It's the perfect height for me, but is also adjustable, a few inches up or down.

I am impressed with the product.

Pros:
    About $125 less than the Triumph screen.
    Thick, acrylic screen - 4.5mm and holes aligned perfectly with mounts.
    Gray shading is nice, even.
    Mount is sturdy and fit to the bike was correct.
    Quick detach system is clever - easy.
    The mounts left on the forks after detaching the windscreen certainly don't add to the looks of the bike, but they are fairly unobtrusive.
    The height of the screen is adjustable (about 3" up and 3" down, so there's plenty of latitude to suit you).
    The angle is also adjustable from nearly vertical to a very steep angle back toward the rider. (I'll know what suits me best after riding and playing with the angle)

Cons:
    The mounting instructions leave a lot to be desired. They are photographs that weren't done with the best lighting.

The parts aren't numbered or marked "L" or "R", so you have to fiddle with them a bit to decipher what part goes on which side and which end is up and which end is down.

To attach the bare acrylic screen to the mounts you get four screws, four flat, black plastic washers and four thick rubber washers, along with two flat steel washers. There are no instructions as to which side of the acrylic or in what order the washers go on. I had to go on line and find a Madstad installation video to set the washers up correctly. I never did find out what the two flat steel washers are for.

Just an observation:

The hardware that attaches the screen to the mounting system is minimalist. It is not the full chrome bracing you usually see on a dresser windshield. Not good or bad - just different.

All in all it's a very nice setup. Happy now.

Shield 1.jpg Shield 2.jpg

• Like Like x 3
  13. Fork Lock

Fork Lock Elite Member

Feb 5, 2021
    Took a ride today to see how the windscreen works.

It's OK. Not great. It helps, but at about 65-70 mph I started getting buffeting, pretty strong, on my shoulders. It's easy to adjust. You just loosen the two top knobs on the mount and you can slide the screen up or down and change the angle, as well. I tried various adjustments to the height and angle. Nothing seemed to decrease the buffeting. Fortunately, it rained while I was out. Didn't think I ever hear myself say that! I was able to assess the protection the screen afforded in the wet. It wasn't a hard, driving rain, but steady. The screen did what it was supposed to do and kept me fairly dry up top.

14. Fork Lock

Fork Lock Elite Member

Feb 5, 2021
    I didn't like the naked edges of the screen. I got some black, automotive door edge protector and lined the edges.

I think it gives the screen a finished look.

Front.PNG

• Useful Useful x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. MoreT

MoreT Senior Member

Jun 12, 2022
    Hampshire
    Can I ask if you get any vortexes off it at highway speeds?
    I considered buying the Triumph screen when I bought the bike but they wouldn't let me test it first. I had one on a Road King and ditched it very quickly. Though it was good for a neck work out, not good for much else.

Otherwise I'm considering the dart screen, I had one on a Yamaha recently and seemed to keep the worst off my chest. Though I had to suffer a downpour and didn't fair too well.

16. Ronald Dale Work

Ronald Dale Work New Member

Nov 22, 2021
    Texas, USA
    i USED THE BRACKETS FROM A DART MARLIN AND HAD GUSTAFFSON IN FLORIDA MAKE ME A SCREEN. IT WORKS GREAT. I IMAGINE HE KEPT THE DIMENSIONS AND CAN BUILD ANOTHER ONE. YOU WILL HAVE TO DRILL THE HOLES TO MOUNT IT. CONTACT ME [email protected]

17. Ronald Dale Work

Ronald Dale Work New Member

Nov 22, 2021
    Texas, USA
    Windshield built by Gustaffson in Florida, USA Attached to Dart Marlin brackets for 2018 Speedmaster

speedmaster w s.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  18. Fork Lock

Fork Lock Elite Member

Feb 5, 2021
    I'm not sure what you mean by vortexes. I think of tornados! I do get buffeting on top of my helmet and my shoulders once I hit 45 mph+, regardless of how high or low, or what angle I adjust it. It does reduce fatigue on long rides, as you are not being pushed back and fighting the wind. As I mentioned previously, it helps keep the rain off my upper body. I just took it off for the summer. Easy removal (not even five minutes) with their clever attachment system. If I get a rainy day it will go back on.

Good luck with your search. Hope this helped.

• Like Like x 1
  19. DJ Fellner

DJ Fellner New Member

Sep 28, 2022
    Berlin, NH
    Standing on the precipice of buying my first ever Triumph (2018 Speedmaster) I have followed the windshield discussion with interest. Everyone seems to have a different experience with this addition, and that's interesting. I wonder if someone has any different experience with the OEM Triumph option?

20. andrew ford

andrew ford New Member

Oct 6, 2022
    Lincoln UK
    I'm looking at the MRA v flow screen for my 22 speedmaster with the touring spoiler for a trip around Scotland. I can't find any photos to show me what it would look like or articles on how it might work on my bike, is that because it just won't suit? Has anyone tried it please?