Which way do the fuel lines go?

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Smudge374, May 8, 2015.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Smudge374

Smudge374 New Member

May 8, 2015
    Stockbridge
    #1 Smudge374, May 8, 2015
    Last edited: May 8, 2015
    hi guys, I'm hoping for a little bit of help.
    I recently bought a 1996 Tiger and the previous owner had removed the fuel lines. Having looked at them tonight it appears there are two outlets from the tank. One with the fuel tap, and one without.

Should it have an inline filter? Is there meant to be a t piece?

Does anyone have any pictures of how they are run, or could you explain how they are connected.

Regards, Lee.

2. stevethegoolie

stevethegoolie Elite Member

Oct 16, 2014
    East Riding of Yorkshire
    Just had a look at Mr Haynes book of fairytales. It only goes up to '95 (carbs) but it appears that one outlet is the tap for the supply, the other is a breather pipe. No mention of a fuel filter as far as I can see, other than the one built into the tap itself.
    If you bike does not have carbs, then please feel free to disregard my ramblings! :oops::(

3. Smudge374

Smudge374 New Member

May 8, 2015
    Stockbridge
    #3 Smudge374, May 8, 2015
    Last edited: May 8, 2015
    Mine is a carb model mate, I'll take some pictures tomorrow to try and clarify. Could you post a picture of the fuel line setup? If that's not too much trouble.

On my tank their are two connections also, the fuel tap and a plain connector the other side. Do you know what the plain connector is for?

Lee.

4. stevethegoolie

Oct 16, 2014
    East Riding of Yorkshire
    Sorry, Lee, but all I have to go on is what I can glean from Haynes. Reading between the lines though, there is only a fuel tap and a breather pipe to worry about. My Trident has at least 3 pipes around the fuel tap ... and woe betide you if you get it wrong when re-assembling. Petrol everywhere! Guess how I know that!! :eek::oops::(

• Like Like x 1
  5. Smudge374

Smudge374 New Member

May 8, 2015
    Stockbridge
    Sounds like you have been at the receiving end of a load of petrol! Lol.

I had a look today and sorted it anyway. But thanks for the advice. I've now found out that my carbs are full of gunk and crap, so a strip and clean is require.

6. stevethegoolie

Oct 16, 2014
    East Riding of Yorkshire
    Good luck with that, Lee! Not the easiest of tasks.
    Don't know exactly the nuances of the air filter set up, but, if it's owt like the Trident, then get a K&N element, stick it in and don't touch it again for years! Fit and forget at its best!:)
    Also, to help keep the carbs clean, keep sticking a slug of Redex, or similar, in the petrol at irregular intervals. It's always worked for me - carbs still untouched after almost 20 years!! :D

• Like Like x 1
  7. Smudge374

Smudge374 New Member

May 8, 2015
    Stockbridge
    I have a classic ford and I often use fuel system cleaner on that. So I'll just carry on the theme with the Tiger.

Cheers pal.

• Like Like x 1
  8. PeteH

PeteH Active Member

Oct 1, 2013
    Chester
    Smudge, for all your steamer needs check out Tigertriple.com loads of good solid information

9. steve lovatt

steve lovatt Something else

May 12, 2014
    North Yorkshire
    Yeah, good luck with the carb strip. I've just changed the airbox on my Trident, which entails removing the carbs and Steve is right about the fuel and breather lines (5 on the Trident including the vacuum pipe).
    Worth mentioning that you might have a small filter in the fuel inlet pipe. If you detach the pipe where it meets the carbs the filter - known as a "witches hat" is normally sat in there. The Trident has two and the Bonneville has one so I'm guessing yours will. Pull this out and clean it thoroughly - it will be full of crud. Careful putting it back as they are a bit delicate.
    Some people remove them altogether and fit an in-line filter.

10. MICK64

MICK64 Active Member

Sep 15, 2020
    NEW FOREST. ENGLAND
    The 2 larger hoses are for fuel supply. one normal, the other reserve.The smaller one is the vacuum hose, that goes into the top of any one of the 3 carbs.

11. mgordonvegas8

mgordonvegas8 New Member

Oct 21, 2021
    san antonio tx
    for the t595/early 955i the diagram in the workshop manual shows the lower port on the fuel pump plate going to the riders right side hose. The riders left side hose connects to the riders left of the fuel pump and returns to the fuel pump plate top connector. The return essentially just goes to the pressure regulator in the the plate body