Which Second Bike?

Discussion in 'Triumph General Discussion' started by Clarkey231, Jul 15, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Clarkey231

Clarkey231 Noble Member

Jun 9, 2016
    Exeter
    Hi All,

I have a Speed Triple RS which I love. But occasionally I found I could of done with a bike with luggage.
    I'm tall and heavy, 6'3 and 17 stone. After an hour or so my knees and arse hurt on the Speed its ok, I've done 9 hr days and whilst it hurts it never gets to bad.

My second bike will be one that I use in winter as well as if I go touring. It seems its between a Tiger 1050, Tiger 800 or Sprint 1050 gt. As I'm tall will the GT hurt knees more/ Quicker than the taller bikes?
    Can the 800 handle 2 up ok given my weight? Not that I plan doing much 2 up anyway.

Cheers for any recommendations.

2. Johnjo

Johnjo Senior Member

May 29, 2017
    Birmingham
    I'd go for the tiger 1050 given your ahem, dimensions. I swapped from the 1050 to an 800, oh with a bonnie inbetween, and miss the extra grunt with the 1050. Plus it's slightly taller than the 800.
    I'm pretty sure you'll find the gt too cramped.
    Can you find some demo's ? Then you'll find the decision easier to make.

• Like Like x 1
  3. In my own world

In my own world Senior Member

Dec 22, 2018
    West Sussex
    Also a Tiger sport 1050.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Ken walburn

Ken walburn Noble Member

Jun 28, 2017
    Essex
    & kin fast! :yum

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Clarkey231

Clarkey231 Noble Member

Jun 9, 2016
    Exeter
    Cheers all for the input. Sort of looks like the 1050 Tiger or that type. Been reading up on forums for the super duke GT and frankly the forums are putting me off big time. Spose it’s the same as reading ours about Speed Triple RS quickshifter (mines perfect).

6. Wessa

Wessa Cruising

Apr 27, 2016
    North West England
    Good luck with your decision and hope you enjoy your new bike....

7. Baben

Baben Active Member

Aug 30, 2016
    Watton
    My Tiger Sport suits me well but I have had to lower the pegs as otherwise my legs are too kinked up. But in every other respect it is superb - think Speed Triple in a frock. Had to have the shock linkages replaced at 18000 miles as apparently no one ever put any grease in them. - And that includes the main dealer who did the 12000 mile service. I have heard of one other with this issue so if you get one, check them. Apart from that the bike is a complete hoot and excellent at touring too.

8. In my own world

In my own world Senior Member

Dec 22, 2018
    West Sussex
    As i have a Tiger 1050 se already my second bike would be a Cheap Chinese 125cc. There is so much to pick for under 2.5 grand new. Their styling on some is way ahead of the usual Jap bikes. I would probably buy a scrambler styled bike for green laning. As long as its serviced what fun it would be revving its nuts off without fear of it blowing up

9. Gazwhitespeed

Gazwhitespeed Senior Member

Jul 30, 2015
    Northampton
    Hi,The 1050 tiger[i have for sale] used to take me and the mrs no problem and i think the combined weight was probably something like 32st.You have no problem at "only 17st" i am only 5 8" and over 20st.

10. Baben

Baben Active Member

Aug 30, 2016
    Watton
    My Tiger Sport suits me well but I have had to lower the pegs as otherwise my legs are too kinked up. But in every other respect it is superb - think Speed Triple in a frock. Had to have the shock linkages replaced at 18000 miles as apparently no one ever put any grease in them. - And that includes the main dealer who did the 12000 mile service. I have heard of one other with this issue so if you get one, check them. Apart from that the bike is a complete hoot and excellent at touring too.
    I just bought a Kawasaki 300 Versys and love it! Very light and revs to 12500. Cruises at 70mph+ and does 77mpg....