Speedmaster Which Screen And Exhaust For New Speedmaster?

Discussion in 'America, Speedmaster & Rocket' started by Kristoff, Dec 28, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Kristoff

Kristoff New Member

Aug 17, 2018
    Hebburn, Tyne & Wear
    hey guys,

I know there’s a few other discussions about screens on here but I was just after a quick opinion on which screen is worth getting to prevent wind buffeting at speed. I’ve been looking at the dart ones and they look pretty good especially going off feedback on here, but not sure which one to go for?

Also, I’ve been looking at a trident exhaust as I haven’t got the money to layout on a V&H one. Anybody have any opinions on these?

Cheers

2. dilligaf

dilligaf Guest

Can’t comment on the screen because I don’t want to fit one :)
    But I’m interested in those exhausts :)
    I’ve got some cocktail shakers in the garage which I removed from my BPOS (09 Speedmaster) and gonna look into fitting them if I can :)
    They only cost £100 if I remember correctly :confused::p

3. capt

capt Elite Member

May 8, 2016
    western Australia
    They look very similar externally to my Aussie made "Foran" pipes on my 09' America !

4. Dartplayer

Dartplayer Crème de la Crème

Aug 8, 2018
    New Zealand
    I have a Dart flyscreen which adds some buffering. Was the biggest i wanted to fit, but if you are doing mainly highway riding, you may want to up it to the slightly larger one.
    If tone and performance is what you are after, it would be worth looking at an Xpipe to remove catalytic converter, I installed new headers and cans.

96915E99-BDD5-4B4E-95E0-DBC5913B140A.jpeg

• Like Like x 5
  5. Kristoff

Kristoff New Member

Aug 17, 2018
    Hebburn, Tyne & Wear
    I didn’t really want to add a screen either as I was worried it would ruin the aesthetics of the bike but I’m finding it hard work to ride the bike for any longer than about half an hour at anything over 60 and the dart screens look pretty good. I don’t do a huge amount of motorway driving so I thought the dart ones looked spot on quality wise and way cheaper (and better looking) than the triumph one.

I’ve been looking at the marlin and classic screen, which one is that on yours dartplayer?
    I’ve also considered the x pipe but heard it’s a bit of a ball ache to install so wasn’t sure.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Dartplayer

Aug 8, 2018
    New Zealand
    Mine is the dark tint flyscreen, Marlin is next size up, great quality and looks like standard.
    Xpipe and cat not too much work, especially if you follow the utube video. Cat takes most of the rumble out and throttles the breathing.

7. Beerman

Beerman Guest

Mine is the stock screen. Does it work?It's ok....I'd be interested to hear how Dilligaf finds it without a screen though.

Beerman

20180325_174113 (2).jpg

• Like Like x 2
  8. brown mouse

brown mouse Elite Member

Sep 15, 2018
    East Midlands, UK
    That's my experience too, so I got a Dart Marlin screen for my Speedmaster a couple of weeks ago. Not done any long runs on it yet but I can say that with the screen, travelling at 70mph is way more physically comfortable than 60 without the screen, and I'm sure it would work well above 70 if you were that way inclined ;)

There is one big drawback though, the turbulence is very noisy even with my earplugs, and completely masks the engine noise at about 50mph, making me feel less 'connected' to the bike. I'm not sure I would want to use the screen except for long trips where I'm just trying to get somewhere quick rather than enjoying the ride. As the screens is easily removed and attached I'm thinking that I'd take it on tours and only add it when needed, and also invest in some more sound blocking ear plugs (my current ones are Senner MotoPro).

I'm also wondering if the smaller Classic screen would have turbulence lower down away from my helmet. So when I next get out on my bike I'm going to move the screen right down so it touches the headlamp shell and see if I can detect any difference.

One final note, when I bought my screen I found that Dart were selling it cheaper on Amazon than on their own site, which seems like madness on their part being as Amazon take a big cut on top of that too.

• Like Like x 3
  9. dilligaf

dilligaf Guest

My previous 09 Speedmaster had a small dart screen on it :)
    Rode it for quite a while with it fitted and when I removed it cos I didn’t like the look of it I couldn’t say that it made any difference anyway :confused:
    I have had many bikes with fairings but prefer to out in the elements and can ride all day without any adverse effects :)
    My limiting factor is usually my backside :eek: and I do miss being able to stand up on the pegs because of the feet forward riding position :confused:
    Used to stand up on the pegs on my Fazer1000 at any speed :eek:
    Might look into fabricating some pegs further back on NUDGER if numb bum becomes a problem but so far so good :cool:

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  10. Barry Morgan

Barry Morgan New Member

Jun 18, 2018
    Essex
    Hi there, I have fitted a dart fly screen to my 2018 speedmaster it’s so much more comfortable at speed and easy to fit.

• Like Like x 2
  11. brown mouse

brown mouse Elite Member

Sep 15, 2018
    East Midlands, UK
    Which screen did you fit? Dart do three: Classic, Marlin and Piranha.

12. Barry Morgan

Barry Morgan New Member

Jun 18, 2018
    Essex
    Hi I fitted the classic dark tint

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Stan Field

Stan Field Member

May 6, 2018
    Bristol, UK
    I fitted the dart classic to mine, a british company, and its fine for me up to around 70-80 even with a shoei open face helmet.

15462595681009140295277950437917.jpg

• Like Like x 3
  14. Cal dan

Cal dan New Member

Nov 12, 2018
    Usa
    CD52ADBA-05FF-45E0-B788-09C6D1ECF9A7.jpeg

• Like Like x 3
  15. Cal dan

Cal dan New Member

Nov 12, 2018
    Usa
    I installed the Dart Marlin on my 2016 Speedmaster I’m a shorter guy and i still feel it doesn’t help much with wind resistance. But really like the way it looks!!

• Like Like x 1
  16. Orie

Orie Well-Known Member

Jan 14, 2019
    Tampa, Florida
    Madstad 18" windshield. Company located in Brooksville, Florida. Mounted in my 18 Speedy. Asthetics aside, can't be beat it for highway cruising. A couple of options are available too. I won't ride without it. It comes off, so if I want the bike to look pleasing , I take it off.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Orie

Orie Well-Known Member

Jan 14, 2019
    Tampa, Florida
    B29B2C3B-414B-4932-9248-7A7F709F65A1.jpeg

• Like Like x 2
  18. Dartplayer

Aug 8, 2018
    New Zealand
    Mirrors seat and stripped back rear are very pleasing on the eye. Lovely ride Orie

19. Orie

Orie Well-Known Member

Jan 14, 2019
    Tampa, Florida
    Thank you.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  20. Imsimon

Imsimon New Member

Jul 7, 2019
    Florida
    I am in Land O Lakes, maybe I will take a ride up to Brooksville see if I can get them to show me what the different heights would look like on the T1oo?

• Like Like x 2