Which One Bike?

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Biker Jock, Apr 21, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Biker Jock

Biker Jock Senior Member

Nov 16, 2014
    I'm fortunate enough to have two bikes; a BMW R1200S for fun, grunt, hustling along fast A roads, quirky looks that attracts attention, and a Tiger 800 for fun (also), comfort, long distance touring, practicality, relaxed bend swinging on A and B roads. To be fair, the Tiger gets most outings, but I just love taking the BMW for an occasional blast. Riding the torque and hearing the overrun bark is addictive. The Tiger wins usually because it is just so easy to live with.

I like both bikes, and couldn't part with one and keep the other. But I wonder what bike I could get to replace both - I could do with going back to 1 MoT, 1 service, freeing up space, etc. It needs to be practical and comfy for touring, grunty and grin-inducing for shorter fun outings (I prefer twins*), and nice/unusual/different to look at.

Any suggestions?

* Twin-cylinder motorcycle engines, that is, before you get the wrong idea. :)

2. Wessa

Wessa Cruising

Apr 27, 2016
    North West England
    What us get the wrong idea; nurse medication please.......
    Wessa

• Funny Funny x 1
  3. Bad Billy

Bad Billy Baddest Member

Jun 1, 2017
    Southern Softyville
    KTM Addventure?

• Like Like x 1
  4. thebiglad

thebiglad Old fart, still riding !

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    Here's my suggestion: she's light, 190kgs ready for the road (with a full tank of gogo juice); parallel twin with 270° crank - gives loads of low-end torque and character feel; 70 mpg in touring mode; rides really nice when cruising, rides like a mad bastid barking dog when 'on it' !!! (TEC aftermarket exhaust fitted)

A Yamaha MT-07 Tracer.

• Like Like x 1
  5. andypandy

andypandy Crème de la Crème

Jan 10, 2016
    Shaw
    And does it manage to get up hills with you on when you're stuffed full of fromage, canard, moules, pain, beaujolais, pomme de terre et fois gras ? :D

• Funny Funny x 3
  6. thebiglad

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    I find eating lightly, selecting foods carefully, ensures the bike can "Climb every mountain, ford every stream, follow every rainbow etc etc"

Bourgogne or Beaune for preference, there's too much fraud with Beaujolais nowadays.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  7. Biker Jock

Biker Jock Senior Member

Nov 16, 2014
    Light is good. Some of the bikes I've considered are a bit too heavy for my liking, but I hadn't thought about the Tracer.

8. thebiglad

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    Hi BJ, honestly it's a cracker. I had a good look around last Autumn for something lighter but still with character and good rider appeal. I bought last sept after having 2 test rides. I did about 2500 kms since buying Trixie and she pleases me more and more, reminding me of why I like biking so much.

Since buying her, I've installed a new full exhaust system from TEC (sounds "saucy") and new front progressive springs and adjustable fork tops.

Currently planning this years bimble (about 2500 kms Germany and Austria) and will be great with the 65-70 mpg.

• Like Like x 1