Which Helmet

Discussion in 'Speed Triple' started by Lee71, Jun 14, 2016.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Lee71

Lee71 New Member

Jun 13, 2016
    Yorkshire
    Hi guys

Just bought a 2011 Street Triple to add to my stable (recently traded my old Sprint ST for the Speed and a Versys 1000). Anyway I'm thinking I might get away with my Caberg Duke for the Versys but think I need something more sporty for the Speed. Not looking to spend a fortune (sub £150) and wondered what everyone was using?

2. roadrider

roadrider First Class Member

Jul 26, 2013
    Oxon
    I've got a Shark SpeedR which is supposed to be designed for naked bikes.
    You won't get one for £150 though :(

3. RoadSprocket

RoadSprocket Active Member

May 24, 2016
    United Kingdom
    I'm using an icon airmada lucky 7;

[​IMG]

4. muzhik

muzhik Member

May 9, 2016
    Maryland, USA
    I'm also using an Icon Airmada, but the chantilly color scheme. Like the reviews say it is a bit noisy, but the airflow is good. Also a bit bulky, but definitely a good melon bucket for the money.

5. Vladthetodge

Vladthetodge Member

Apr 27, 2016
    Sheffield
    I used Sharpe.gov website to find decent rated ones that were close to my budget, then went on the old interwebs and found the shop selling the ones I liked. Tried em on and bought this in the end at 190.
    The prices are a little higher than shops I found.

$_35.JPG

• Like Like x 1
  6. Lee71

Lee71 New Member

Jun 13, 2016
    Yorkshire
    Thanks all. I was looking at the Shark S700 range as they have a pin lock and sun visor fitter for around £150. Anybody use one or have an opinion for use on a naked?

7. Rooster

Rooster Grumpy Member
    Subscriber

Sep 14, 2015
    Droitwich, Worcestershire
    #7 Rooster, Jun 14, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2016
    When I bought my helmet I wanted one with the highest safety rating. When you look at the link below you will see that a high safety raining does not necessarily mean the most expensive.

http://sharp.direct.gov.uk

Once I had selected a few contenders, comfort was the next consideration. Finally price came into it.

If you want to try on a huge range then try the SportsBikeShop in Boston, Lincs.

thttp://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorcycle_parts/content_cat/1. They have around 15,000 helmets in stock.

I ended up with a Shoie Quest and am very happy with it.

• Like Like x 2
  8. GaryM

GaryM It's him, you know who. Him from you know ....

Apr 28, 2016
    Patna , Ayrshire
    First thing with any helmet is the fit. Nothing else matters. You have to try it on first.
    So go to a dealer such as J&S who have a large selection of different brands of helmets and try them on.
    Then narrow your list down.
    As to the Shark one you mention my wife wears one of those but they fit her well.
    She tried several different brands first of all to see which brand suited her.
    They seem to be good but have never worn one personally.
    Personally I prefer Shoei and Schuberth ones but they fit me well.
    So go somewhere you can try as many makes on first then hopefully you will have narrowed it down to one you like.

9. Wasp

Wasp Well-Known Member

May 14, 2016
    Burnley NWUK
    I just bought an Arai rebel which is a slightly different design around the bottom of the chin bar, which is supposed to deflect the wind better when riding a naked bike. Nothing dramatic mind, just a slight deflector built in.

Reviews seem to rate it and the medium is a perfect fit for me having had a few arais in the past. Matt black in colour, wouldn't be my first choice but ya can't have everything. Little above your price range tho, but maybe worth considering stretching it a little as I see you have a couple of nakeds.

Three main things to consider when buying a new helmet is - 1. Fit. 2. Fit and 3. Fit. If you get a design you like that's a bonus. I'm sure you know this anyway. Let us know (with pics) what you go with.

Atb

Bob

• Like Like x 1
  10. Vladthetodge

Vladthetodge Member

Apr 27, 2016
    Sheffield
    I spent three hours in j n s donny before I was happy!! Got some right scowls from the staff lol. Took a dozen helmets to find one that fit well. Then I had to pick the design.... Must have been there five hours in total looking at clothes etc. The wife thank God loves bikes so wasn't too bad :)

• Like Like x 1
  11. RROB

RROB Active Member

Jul 9, 2016
    Worcestershire
    HJC Rhpa10 ST perfect fit...... for my bonce !

12. Yorkshireman

Yorkshireman Crème de la Crème

Dec 12, 2015
    Barnsley
    +1 for the HJC. I always liked the design of Arai but could never find a comfortable fit. Got a Lorenzo replica and it's all day comfy, fairly quiet re wind noise ( tho I always wear ear plugs) and so light if you didn't hold it down it would float away!

• Like Like x 1
  13. steve lovatt

steve lovatt Something else

May 12, 2014
    North Yorkshire
    Spent ages at the Swindon Mega Store trying helmets on to find a replacement for the old Caberg. Finally settled on HJC - best fit for me by miles and much quieter than the Caberg.

14. Lee71

Lee71 New Member

Jun 13, 2016
    Yorkshire
    I ended up with an HJC is16 helmet after trying lots on at J&S. Comfy fit although surprised how low all the HJC helmets all score on the SHARP website?