Which Exhausts??

Discussion in 'America, Speedmaster & Rocket' started by Dazza215, Jul 18, 2016.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Dazza215

Dazza215 Well-Known Member

Jun 29, 2016
    Kings Norton
    Hi Chaps,
    I'm new to the modern Triumph scene, but I am a tinkerer, I usually resore/build old british bikes 500/650 twins (mainly BSA A10 or A65) so I'll be asking some pretty obvious (to you all) questions I expect.
    You'll see from my pics that my 2014 Speedy has the standard long exhausts on them. they look ok I suppose but the bike sounds a bit tame!! ;)
    What are the best pipes for this bike that sound good but wont attract too much attention of our fabulous boys in blue?
    Will I need to pay for a remap if I change them etc etc.

Thanks in advance.

2. mixifix

mixifix Active Member

May 7, 2013
    mansfield
    These are mmm silencers not been pulled yet sound grreat

IMG_20160617_085645.jpg

IMG_20160617_085607.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  3. Dazza215

Jun 29, 2016
    Kings Norton
    I was thinking of getting these. Whats the verdict?

$(KGrHqNHJFIFG-HhZ-fVBRz!mNPsWw~~60_12.jpg

4. thebiglad

thebiglad Old fart, still riding !

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    I got mine from the same supplier, all good with VERY nice sound with baffle still in..

• Like Like x 1
  5. MrOrange

MrOrange Guest

Went for the Triumph Short TOR's. They give the bike the sound it deserves, not the hum of the standard pipes.
    You do not need to remap on the later efi bikes. Took mine to the dealers, but the standard map is fine.

• Like Like x 1
  6. mixifix

mixifix Active Member

May 7, 2013
    mansfield
    The slash cuts on mine from same place wrapped wadding round the mute sound brill

• Like Like x 1
  7. Dazza215

Jun 29, 2016
    Kings Norton
    Thanks Dozers Dad. I'll definitely give that a go. I like the look of my current silencers but they sound like a mouses fart. Although I like the sound of the cocktail shaker/tulip style pipes I'm not sure I like the shortened look on the bike. So before I start looking for extension pipes to go with them I will have a go at what you suggested and "engineer" the pipes that I currently have.
    I do like this forum. :)

• Like Like x 2
  8. steve lovatt

steve lovatt Something else

May 12, 2014
    North Yorkshire
    Check for threads on the internet to see if there are instructions - especially the triumphrat forum. Had comprehensive advice on de-baffling the stock Bonnie exhausts.

• Like Like x 2
  9. mixifix

mixifix Active Member

May 7, 2013
    mansfield
    Did the baffle chop on the t100 I had it was a deep growl lots better than a whimper looked at doing it on the America you would need something long I think to get bits out, spent some money got a loud growl if someone don't like it I have the old ones to pop on

• Like Like x 1
  10. biscuit

biscuit Member

Sep 18, 2015
    essex
    I went for the cocktail shakers, sound great, no remap required on mine and I think they suit the bike.
    Good luck with whatever you choose.

image.jpeg

• Like Like x 1
  11. Tomo

Tomo Active Member

Apr 23, 2016
    Birmingham
    Short TOR's for me - they sound great - like you imagine the bike should sound, not too attractive to plod and make it easier to get to your chain for cleaning/lubing. Coupled with which they're lighter and don't have the crappy catalytic converters in, so your engine breathes better.

It's unlikely that plod would pay much attention to our bikes - they're usually more interested in the crotch rockets and dirt bikes with obscenely loud zorsts (I should know - I've got one!). Like Harleys - a certain 'loudness' is expected and tolerated as it's not at a million RPM's like an R1 at full chat.

• Like Like x 2
  12. Dazza215

Jun 29, 2016
    Kings Norton
    Went with the cocktail shakers and the extensions in the end. The bike was a bit too loud in my opinion so I bought new baffles and wrapped them in the fibreglass wrap. So, its still loud but much bassier, Carried out the AI deletion which cured the popping on overrun. I'm really pleased with how it looks and sounds now, See pic below.

20160816_143607_001.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  13. Scoot65

Scoot65 Well-Known Member

Dec 3, 2015
    DURHAM
    Nice! Where did you get the pipes and extensions from?

14. mixifix

mixifix Active Member

May 7, 2013
    mansfield
    The slash cuts on mine some of the forum guys found fu##ing loud I did on the long run debaffled the original triumph ones no more earache any one interested in purchasing short slash cuts give me a shout lol

15. Dazza215

Jun 29, 2016
    Kings Norton
    • Like Like x 1
  16. Scoot65

Scoot65 Well-Known Member

Dec 3, 2015
    DURHAM
    • Like Like x 1
  17. alex74

alex74 Member

Aug 2, 2015
    Marden, Kent
    Got cocktail shakers, but remapped the engine. They are loud, but proved that better loud than dead...

• Like Like x 1
  18. capt

capt Elite Member

May 8, 2016
    western Australia
    Hi all, easy way to do a baffle ectomy , get a wood dowel that fits tightly inside the out let, before you put the dowel in mark the centre of same and pre drill before installed, this improves the accuracy, when dowel is in place get your hole saw kit out choose size which is just bigger than the weld/interior pipe diameter, I tried this works well but will require quite a bit of extra effort if the centre drilling in dowel is out, as I found out with one of my Muffler's. You then need to decide , cat removal or not, cat removal you require a very long hard steel rod and hammer. Bash rod through until you reach required ...... It's lotsa fun or not. Depends on how much you enjoy wrecking things I suppose. I went for Foran's they are made in Melbourne I believe. Louder than tors but not as loud as cocktail shakers.