Which Engine Oil...again

Discussion in 'Triumph General Discussion' started by StuarT595, Jan 30, 2021.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. StuarT595

StuarT595 Active Member

Nov 19, 2020
    South West UK
    I have a ‘97 T595...what oils are you using?
    What’s the general consensus on this oil at £11/ltr?

“Shell Advance 4T 10W-40 AX7 Motorcycle 4 Stroke - 4Ltr

Shell Advance 4T AX7 is our premium-tier 4 stroke motorcycle engine oil. Its part synthetic formulation consists of high quality synthetic base oil and motorcycle-specific additive pack with Active Cleansing Technology. The high quality synthetic base oil combined with the unique Active Cleansing Technology additive helps to cleanse and keep the motorcycle engine cleaner. A clean motorcycle engine will run more efficiently and will be better protected.Shell Advance 4T AX7 4 stroke motorcycle engine oil meets the requirements of most motorcycle manufacturers.

• API SMJASO MA2
    • Synthetic technology motor oil
    • Keeps engine cleanerMore efficient power delivery & enhanced responsivenessReduces engine noise & vibrationProtects & prolongs engine life
    • Technology:Shell Active Cleansing Technology helps prevent dirt particles sticking together to form deposits.”

CE9A7301-270D-409D-A4DC-3D854FEF475C.jpeg

• Like Like x 1
  2. capt

capt Elite Member

May 8, 2016
    western Australia
    I used 4T in my 1999/2000 sprint , probably the precursor to the one your asking about.
    It was a great oil , motor didn't age or wear out did 40,000 km on it and all was good from beginning to end.

• Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. StuarT595

StuarT595 Active Member

Nov 19, 2020
    South West UK
    Many thanks for taking the time to comment, much appreciated...sounds like a pretty good endorsement to me!
    Have a great weekend :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Adie P

Adie P Crème de la Crème

Jul 7, 2018
    MID DEVON
    #4 Adie P, Jan 30, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2021

Consider an alternative .....

https://www.smithandallan.com/produ...a-4t-10w-40---fully-synthetic-motorcycle-oil/

Smith and Allan blend for "major oil brands" and their products meet the same specs. at dramatically better prices. They are also very knowledgeable and helpful on telephone enquiries. I've used their semi-synth. in my T3s.

Also consider that the forum has an oil supplier 'member' - name and details escape me right now, but someone will be along dreckly to help overcome my senility - who also provide discounted, high spec. oil products.

EDIT :- found the forum member/supplier - WESTWAY LUBRICANTS, Wombourne

https://www.westwayoils.co.uk/collections/motorcycle-oils

a post elsewhwere suggests they will provide forum members with a discount if they're contacted up front!

• Like Like x 3
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Smilinjack

Smilinjack Guest

I've used Silkolene for years. Improved the gearchange on every bike it went in, my 1200 Kawasaki went round the clock on it and still sounded great, and it can be got pretty cheap. I think the 5 litre jug was £32.50 or so delivered. Amazon or Ebay, not sure which. I think Sportsbikeshop do it.

20210130_121307.jpg

• Like Like x 4
    • Useful Useful x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Helmut Visor

Helmut Visor Only dead fish go with the flow
    Subscriber

Oct 3, 2018
    Three Counties
    b09840-ktc_vegetable_oil_20ltr_0_1.jpg

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Like Like x 2
  7. Tiglet

Tiglet Vintage Member

Mar 28, 2016
    Cheshire
    • Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  8. StuarT595

StuarT595 Active Member

Nov 19, 2020
    South West UK
    Wow, phenomenal generosity, Adie...thanks so much for all that, can’t believe the price differences!
    The next new issue after looking at those products, of course, is the Synthetic versus Semi-Synthetic debate? I’ve read so many posts where clutch issues have been magically resolved when switching from Synthetic to Semi-Synthetic that it’s given me a brand new headache :worried:
    Many thanks, once again, Adie...really helpful!

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  9. StuarT595

StuarT595 Active Member

Nov 19, 2020
    South West UK
    Many thanks SJ...funnily enough that oil is in my eBay watch list with a cheap filter thrown into the deal at £31.99 free post.
    Many thanks for sharing your long-term experiences with this one, much appreciated.
    Have a great evening

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Retired Phil

Retired Phil Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2017
    San Rafael
    What is all this obsession with oil. Just RTFM.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. StuarT595

StuarT595 Active Member

Nov 19, 2020
    South West UK
    I’m going to be honest with you, Phil...my question comes out of significant emotional investment in repairing a broken machine, and subsequently getting into the mindset of doing whatever’s the very best you can do when, for example, you’re lapping in the valves, when preparing the head surfaces, when changing out the clutch basket for one that doesn’t chuck broken springs into your engine, etc., etc., etc.,!
    I guess when as a novice mechanic you’ve asked a question for every step of the way, and grown in the passion you feel for the bike you’re rebuilding, you just have to ask which oil? It’s nothing beyond a curiosity into what I can do to best protect my achievements so far and, equally, that I was unable to find a satisfactory answer elsewhere, which made me wonder why...and now I understand why!
    Thanks, Phil...I genuinely understand your point!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. stevethegoolie

stevethegoolie Elite Member

Oct 16, 2014
    East Riding of Yorkshire
    The gearbox in my Trident 900 hated Shell fully synth oil - went all clunky on me.
    Motul 5100 semi synth was a vast improvement.
    Trident now sitting at the back of the garage waiting for spring with a full sump of Westway 10/40 fully synth in it.:) Can't wait to try it out!!:grinning:

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. StuarT595

StuarT595 Active Member

Nov 19, 2020
    South West UK
    :)
    Cheers, SteveTG, very much appreciate the insights...we’re all ready for a new Spring :)
    Enjoy the ride, m’friend...fingers crossed I’ll be back out there with you all for the first time in 20 years :grinning:

• Like Like x 3
    • Useful Useful x 1
  14. Tricky-Dicky

Tricky-Dicky Crème de la Crème

Dec 12, 2016
    Norfolk UK
    Its funny how some engines behave differently with different oils as in theory there shouldn't be any great difference other than the friction modifiers used because most motorcycles have the clutch plates running in engine oil and correct me if I'm wrong, but most also use the same oil for the gearbox?
    Which may be the reason why some object to some fully synthetic oils although again there should be no real difference other than the fact that fully synthetic oil can cope with higher temperatures before breaking down.

• Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. Pegscraper

Pegscraper Elite Member

Jun 12, 2020
    Yorkshire

I've used that in the Z from new with 200+ bhp, now 9 years old and 35k+ miles and still runs like I bought it yesterday. Smith and Allan mentioned above are retailers for Shell , I've used them numerous times.:grinning:

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. StuarT595

StuarT595 Active Member

Nov 19, 2020
    South West UK
    Many thanks for the endorsement of the Shell product, PS...S&A are going to be my next port of call.
    Have a great day :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. StuarT595

StuarT595 Active Member

Nov 19, 2020
    South West UK
    Cheers, TD, if only it wasn’t so complicated. I’m really glad I asked the question, though, it’s definitely set me in the right direction.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. Tricky-Dicky

Dec 12, 2016
    Norfolk UK
    Another endorsement for Shell oils used them for years in my highly tuned turbocharged car engines sometimes running double or three times the factory output with never a problem used mostly Shell helix semi synthetic oil.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. Pegscraper

Pegscraper Elite Member

Jun 12, 2020
    Yorkshire
    As with many things it's easy to fall into the advertising trap with oils and brand X claiming to do this, that or the other better than brand Y. I just follow 3 simple rules...

1. Any oil is better than none.
    2. Look for the minimum spec required by the vehicle manufacturer.
    3. As a bare minimum, follow the specified change interval.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. Tricky-Dicky

Dec 12, 2016
    Norfolk UK
    "1. Any oil is better than none."
    And the reason why most old Triumph owners always left at least one leak .....the old School version of the modern oil window.;)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1