765 Which Brake Pads

Discussion in 'Street Triple' started by budd, Sep 21, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. budd

budd New Member

Sep 21, 2019
    yorkshire
    Hi all first post, I have '17 plate street triple 765 RS it's done 12K from new I bought it as a demo with 800mls on it, it was serviced a few months ago and got a clean bill of health and all seemed to be well, but this morning I'm about to go out for a ride (make the best of the sunny weather) and I notice a a slight grinding from the front brakes. On further inspection the front pads are down to the backing plates, I'm surprised (and slightly disappointed) the dealer didn't mention the pads were low when it was serviced so I'll be changing the pads myself !!! Anyway ride cancelled and search is now on for some suitable pads, I think I've been lucky not to damage the discs as that would likely be seriously expensive !! Now the OE pads have served me well but I can't help wandering if there is a better option? I assume the OE pads will be Brembo of some sort so logic would suggest using Brembo but there are quite a few different types of pad compound available, from ceramic to full race sintered/carbon so which is most suitable??, also I use SBS RS (race sinter) on my Aprilia which I've found to be excellent so I'm very tempted to use some of these in place of the obvious Brembo's choice. But before I click buy it now I thought it wise to get some opinions from forum members, so any advice or recommendations welcome, thanks in advance...

PS also could someone confirm the calipers are Brembo M50s ?? just to make sure I order the correct pads.

2. budd

budd New Member

Sep 21, 2019
    yorkshire
    Thanks for the warm welcome, you're right EBC make some good pads I've used the HH in the past and they have been fine but I did find SBS to be that little bit better all round (and slightly cheaper to which is always nice) but they are very small margins, nothing night and day. Although EBC have a new fast road/ track compound available EPFA IIRC which I haven't tried so I may look into some of those.

• Like Like x 1
  3. budd

budd New Member

Sep 21, 2019
    yorkshire

thanks for the warm welcome, your're right EBC make very good pads I've used them in the past and they are fine but I did find the SBS to be slightly better all round but it's small margins nothing night and day. Although EBC have new fast road / race compound out the EPFA IIRC so these may be worth consideration.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Eldon

Eldon Elite Member

Nov 14, 2018
    North Yorkshire
    I have the same bike and I'm pretty sure they are Brembo M50's.

5. StreetRS1981

StreetRS1981 Well-Known Member

Jul 16, 2018
    Wiltshire
    The calipers are M50s, the pads are ???? some Bremobo sort.

6. budd

budd New Member

Sep 21, 2019
    yorkshire
    until I take them out i'm not sure what is fitted as std but I'd assume they will be OE spec Brembo, nothing wrong with Brembo of course but I'm a bit of a SBS fanboy I use them in my Aprilia and R6 track bike and have always been very impressed, so I've ordered some SBS RS (race sinter). This proved not as simple as I'd have hoped, the pad part no's are a bit strange, it seems there are 2 options for the M50 caliper, 841RS and 901RS, the overall pad dimensions are identical but there is a subtle difference, the backing plate on the 901 pad is 0.5mm thicker then the 841, yes that's 0.5mm so the pads are interchangeable but the 841 will have 0.5mm extra pad material which doesn't sound a lot but as obviously been done for a reason. I couldn't get a definitive answer to which is the correct EBC only list 1 option (FA447HH) so I'm not sure whether the 841 or 901 part is correct but I think given the only difference is 0.5mm of pad material any difference will be so small it isn't worth worrying about, so I've ordered the 901RS which as the slightly thicker backing plate thinking maybe these will be a little more rigid and therefore more stable in the caliper, either way I wouldn't think any difference will be noticeable. Pads should be here weds so I'll get them fitted and report my findings.

7. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    “But before I click buy it now I thought it wise to get some opinions from forum members, so any advice or recommendations welcome, thanks in advance..”

After over 50 lines of text are you familiar with ‘confirmation bias’?
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Confirmation_bias
    ;)

8. Eldon

Eldon Elite Member

Nov 14, 2018
    North Yorkshire
    Lol brought back memories of my "Unconcious bias" training.

9. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    I remember the lights coming on when a teacher talked about newspapers and the media.
    He said the Press always talk about the public’s right to know and their duty to inform but are very quiet about the fact they are primarily businesses competing for interest and profit, even the BBC who just have the competitive advantage of a tax revenue.
    Then again, which paper do you read? It is invariably the one closest to your prejudices because we hate being contradicted or challenged in our belief system.

• Like Like x 1
  10. budd

budd New Member

Sep 21, 2019
    yorkshire
    I think you may be over thinking this just little, not that it’s your fault you may have an anxiety disorder

• Funny Funny x 1
  11. budd

budd New Member

Sep 21, 2019
    yorkshire
    I think you may be over thinking this just little, not that it’s your fault you may have an anxiety disorder

12. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    Thanks for your concerned diagnosis but it wouldn’t get past first post with anyone that knows me. They would allow that I have a keener sense of irony than you appear to :heart_eyes:

13. budd

budd New Member

Sep 21, 2019
    yorkshire
    i'm new to the forum so pls forgive my sense of humour lapse

14. Bad Billy

Bad Billy Baddest Member

Jun 1, 2017
    Southern Softyville
    Don't worry, I am the only other sane one on the whole forum, it's full of lunatics mate, mostly friendly ones though! :p

As far as brake pads go, for the road you won't go far wrong with original Brembo items, I use SBS for Bandit racing but not so sure I would for normal road riding, as on a cold damp day I am not convinced they would work so well without the heat generated during racing.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    This is a novelty. I normally need to do the apologies. Forgotten already.

16. budd

budd New Member

Sep 21, 2019
    yorkshire

thanks for info, which of the SBS 'race' type compounds do you use, RS (race sinter), DS (dual sinter) DC (dual carbon) ? IIRC the latter 2 are track use only due as you say to the higher temps required but the RS is suitable for road and track, and from my experience are excellent in both situations. I've done one trackday (Cadwell) on the RS and did find the brakes started deteriorating after about 5 laps, not dangerously so but definitely suffering. When I've tracked the Aprilia using SBS RS pads I've had no issues, and the ape as the older goldline calipers not the M50 mono blocks, it does have an up-rated Brembo RCS M/C but this is very similar to the Triumphs MCS version, plus the aprilia is heavier, so what I deduce from all this ( and sorry for the length of the post) is the OE RS pads are the weak link, so with that in mind I've plumped for SBS RS pads (part # 901RS), the pads have arrived today so I'll have them fitted shortly,

17. Bad Billy

Bad Billy Baddest Member

Jun 1, 2017
    Southern Softyville
    Hi Budd,
    I would use DC (used by others I race with on Mk1's) but they are not available for Mk2 Bandit, so I use RS, race regs mean you can't change calipers, but you can change discs & master cylinders, I run Galfer wavy discs & Aprilia RSV4 MC, I find if I drag the front brake on the sighting lap & get heat into them then the brakes are great into turn one, if I forget & they are cold then it can be a little scary! On tracks where consistent heavy braking is a necessary then the brakes do start to fade slightly towards the end of the race. All of that said we are talking of pretty old calipers vs the latest Brembo on your bike.

I owned a 765RS for about 15 months, never did a track day on it so have no experience of how original pads would behave on a track. However I took the bike to the Pyrenees last year & gave it a good work out on the very quiet & top quality twisties where you were hard on the gas then hard on the brakes for sustained periods & never had any issues, still not a track day by any means.

It sounds like you have made an informed choice that relates to your direct experience using the pads you have elected to put in, so when you have them in, please update your views on them for road & track use so others can benefit.

• Like Like x 2
  18. budd

budd New Member

Sep 21, 2019
    yorkshire

it's surprising how much difference the radial M/C makes, not necessarily on out and out stopping power more in the feel, it's difficult to put into words but it gives a better connection to the brakes, you get more feedback. I have the 19RCS on my Aprilia, which gives a little more adjustment then the OE radial Aprilia M/C but the MCS M/C on the Triumph is in some ways superior to the RCS having 3 ratio adjustments rather than just 2. BTW the RCS - MCS acronyms mean Ratio Click System and Multiple Click System respectively, ultimately these M/Cs would have been GP only tech not many yrs ago so it's nice to see top spec gear making on to mainstream production bikes, the Triumph shares the same basic brakes components as the Panigale Superleggera a £72K hyper exotic which is quite cool.
    The Street Triple RS is a surprisingly capable bike I'd be quite happy to take it touring Europe, when I was looking for a small nimble day to day bike the ST seemed a good choice and I test rode the R version I was impressed enough to buy one, but rather then a new 'R' I managed to get ex demo RS in matt silver/grey with a few extras (Arrow exhaust, little screen, tail tidy etc) for less money then the R, it had 800mls (it's on nearly 12K now). Once you get to know it you realise it as a truly exceptional level of performance, as you learn the various modes and tweak the set it up you discover it as hidden depths and just keeps getting better, the use of quality components (Brembo, Ohlins etc) really make all the difference, it is now in track mode all the time and down a twisty road takes some catching.
    The pads are here so I'll get them fitted and report back, it will also give me chance to give the calipers a good clean.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. Bad Billy

Bad Billy Baddest Member

Jun 1, 2017
    Southern Softyville
    I had a Street 675R first, then bought the 765RS, always said to anyone who'd listen that if you can get over the lack of bragging rights by not having a 'superbike' then you won't find a much better bike out there.
    IMG_2171.JPG IMG_2237.JPG

• Like Like x 3
  20. PH1969

PH1969 Well-Known Member

Jan 6, 2017
    Northampton
    EBC EPFA447HH is what I use on my RS. Brilliant pads, better than the originals by miles on the track - no fade and good feel.

• Useful Useful x 1