765 Where To Plug In Gps (12 Volts)?

Discussion in 'Street Triple' started by Maciej, Oct 5, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Maciej

Maciej New Member

Jul 25, 2020
    Cracow, Poland
    Hello,
    I'm looking for the best place to connect GPS base unit to the electric installation in my RS - I need 12 volts but not directly from the battery but "after" ignition is on (I don't know how to describe it correctly in English, sorry).
    I heard that there is a connector under the tank, ready to plug in but I haven't checked that yet.
    Could you please help?

2. Ducatitotriumph

Ducatitotriumph Crème de la Crème

Apr 25, 2019
    Rothwell
    Hi there.
    A lot of people use the + (pos) from the rear brake light switch.
    You can use any negative you like.
    I'm not sure if there is a connection under the tank but the above will help if there isn't.
    Good luck and welcome!

• Like Like x 1
  3. Maciej

Maciej New Member

Jul 25, 2020
    Cracow, Poland
    Thanks, that's the interesting idea but it's quite far from the rear brake light switch to the handlebar.

4. dilligaf

dilligaf Guest

Can you piggy back the live to the horn :)

5. Old dumb arse

Old dumb arse Noble Member

Mar 28, 2020
    KS
    Isn't there wiring in place for the optional heated grips?

• Like Like x 1
  6. Maciej

Maciej New Member

Jul 25, 2020
    Cracow, Poland
    Yeah, that would be great idea to use that wiring! But where to find it? Or maybe that's the one under the tank which was mentioned by the dealership?

7. duke63

duke63 New Member

Apr 28, 2012
    There is a power feed under the tank for the optional power socket.

8. duke63

duke63 New Member

Apr 28, 2012
    Have a look at the Triumph Instructions for part number A9828050 which is the optional power socket. The feed for this is under the left hand side of the tank.

• Like Like x 2
  9. duke63

duke63 New Member

Apr 28, 2012
    • Like Like x 3
  10. Maciej

Maciej New Member

Jul 25, 2020
    Cracow, Poland
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Samsgrandad

Samsgrandad Senior Member

Dec 15, 2019
    Somerset
    The feed for the power socket is a permanently live feed NOT a switched one, so your GPS will not switch off with the ignition if you use this outlet.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Maciej

Maciej New Member

Jul 25, 2020
    Cracow, Poland
    Ohhh, really? That's not what I expected.
    What about the connector for heated grips? Unfortunately it also seems to be permanently live :\

13. Samsgrandad

Samsgrandad Senior Member

Dec 15, 2019
    Somerset
    I thought that the heated grips feed was a switched live. If you are only looking to power a Sat Nav then I would suggest that you pick up the live feed for the pilot light or the horn as has previously been suggested. I wired my Sat nav into the tail light because there was a long power lead on the sat nav!

The power socket is a permanent live so that, if you fit the socket, you can use it to plug in an Optimate or other trickle charger to keep the battery in good condition.

• Like Like x 3
  14. Maciej

Maciej New Member

Jul 25, 2020
    Cracow, Poland
    Today I checked 2 options:
    - that one for auxiliary power socket (it's available from the left side of the bike; no need to lift the tank; it has a piece of blue tape on it). It's 12 volts but unfortunately a permanent live,
    - heated grips connector (3 bolts; under the tank). It seems to be a switched live but it's not a standard 12 volts (it's changing).

I was looking for other options and in that bike all lights are LED (so no standard 12 volts) except a licence plate light. There's a connector under a passenger seat: 4 wires, for licence plate light and indicator lights. 2 wires are 12 volts and switched live so seems to be ok to connect GPS.
    Thanks everyone for help!

15. Iceman

Iceman Crème de la Crème

Apr 19, 2020
    Lancashire
    Why not purchase an extension lead to go from the auxiliary socket (phone charger etc) under the seat pod and route it under the seat and tank, it works with the ignition on and off, that's what I did on my previous 2019 rs

16. Maciej

Maciej New Member

Jul 25, 2020
    Cracow, Poland
    Do you mean USB socket? It's not 12 volts (probably only 5 volts).
    I need 12 volts, switched live.

17. Iceman

Iceman Crème de la Crème

Apr 19, 2020
    Lancashire
    I can have a look at the wiring diagram in the workshop Manuel for you to see were a live 12 feed via the ignition is if you don't have access to one, alternatively I could e mail you the Manuel if you let me know your e mail

18. Maciej

Maciej New Member

Jul 25, 2020
    Cracow, Poland
    Thanks a lot but I think I found a right place (licence plate light). Or do you think there's a better place?
    I was already checking service manual.

19. Iceman

Iceman Crème de la Crème

Apr 19, 2020
    Lancashire
    Hi what you say is straight forward and easy to do, you'd think on a top of the range rs it would have an auxiliary socket as other models have, hope it all goes ok.