where to connect gl pro gear indicator ?????

Discussion in 'Speed Triple' started by anthony gothard, Apr 30, 2016.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. anthony gothard

anthony gothard Well-Known Member

Mar 2, 2016
    lancashire uk
    #1 anthony gothard, Apr 30, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2016
    spent approx 6 hrs trying to source a connection for the last wire ( black and green ) on the gl.
    instructions say either to the

signal wire on crankshaft sensor
    tacho signal, between dash and ecu
    ignition coil signal wire, between ignition control unit and coil input terminal

My problem is, i dont know where any of these are, never mind the wire colours.
    Bike is 2015 speed triple r ( 94 edition ) 1050cc. has abs which seems to make a difference

If someone could describe where to find a wire i would be most grateful as you surmise i am no mechanic or electrician.
    Thank you

2. Dougie D

Dougie D Crème de la Crème

Jan 30, 2016
    Blairgowrie Perthshire
    triumph say that you can't fit a gear indicator on the speed triple.. but they also tell you not to fit a scotoiler not sure why
    have you tried you tube? or the triumphrat forum maybe someone on there has fitted one

3. anthony gothard

Mar 2, 2016
    lancashire uk
    Tried YouTube. Plenty of Triple's with them on but no wiring details. Scot oiler?? Looked at all options and went for a pd automatic system. Fitted no problem works well.

4. Dougie D

Dougie D Crème de la Crème

Jan 30, 2016
    Blairgowrie Perthshire
    yeah I've got a scotoiler,no problems with it, it's strange why triumph say they cant put a gear indicator on when clearly you can

5. anthony gothard

Mar 2, 2016
    lancashire uk
  6. Col_C

Col_C I can't re...Member

Aug 5, 2015
    Cornwall
    Thanks for the Info link Anthony, looks a nice neat job.
    Likewise I was looking to add the gear indicator (one of the few things I miss from my previous Multistrada), but found we can't use the "plug & play" version on ABS models and decided I didn't miss it badly enough to go through the hassle you've just been through. ;)
    ......Still tempting though. :confused:
    I contacted the manufacturer to check the simple version definitely couldn't be used, apparently whatever signal it uses is on the OBDII diagnostic port for non ABS but omitted on ABS models. Seems weird, I'd assumed OBDII pin-outs would be standardised (and TuneECU still gets plenty of info from the port).

Just spent the soggy bank holiday wiring in a USB supply and remote microphone for my vid camera (battery power doesn't last very long and too much wind noise on camera), so I'm all wired-out for a while. :)

7. anthony gothard

Mar 2, 2016
    lancashire uk
    I did the same last week. Like. You, I can charge whatever I want now. And run camera straight from power source.on long runs

8. steve lovatt

steve lovatt Something else

May 12, 2014
    North Yorkshire
    Nice job with the gear indicator.
    The Tigers come with them now, which is good, but you do start to rely on it and start to lose that instinct you've built up over time as to what gear you're in!

9. Col_C

Aug 5, 2015
    Cornwall
    Yep, I'm getting used to slumming it with no gear indicator again. :D
    Still occasionally go for 7th gear, but not very often now.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Col_C

Aug 5, 2015
    Cornwall
    I'll post some photos when I get round to taking a few, got a Drift Ghost S on a Ram mount off one of the lower triple clamp bolts, Camera sits quite nicely just below lights on centre. And made use of the redundant mirror mount (bar end mirrors fitted) to mount the remote start/stop camera control.
    Only irritation I've had is the usb charger/camera is too clever for its own good, charger switches off if voltage drops too low (which it does when starting the bike) when it comes back on the camera goes into charge mode (i.e. won't record). So I have to remember to switch the camera on after starting the bike......which I frequently forgot when it was on the previous bike.
    Start bike - switch camera on - get on - engage 1st - sidestand's down, engine stops - restart - engage neutral - get off - switch camera on again - get back on again - and repeat don't forget the bloody sidestand! :mad::mad::mad::D
    .....Which is why it's taken me 8 months to bother fitting it to the new bike.
    Also trying not to spoil the looks of the bike...if I want I only need to remove 2 bolts, tuck the wires back and it looks tidy / camera free again. (yes I'm an OCD sufferer):)

11. anthony gothard

Mar 2, 2016
    lancashire uk
    But if you have been out of bikes like me for 40 yrs. They are a godsend. Last bike I had, only had 3 gears ha,

12. anthony gothard

Mar 2, 2016
    lancashire uk
    #12 anthony gothard, May 3, 2016
    Last edited: May 3, 2016
    Our minds think alike.....lost my shitty camera last weekend. And ordered a drift 2 on Friday. I have the optimate charger which has a permanent power supply.....got an 12v adapter to fit.which enables me to charge or run anything I have. And because I'm a gadget freak I also ordered the remote control for the drift 2

13. Col_C

Aug 5, 2015
    Cornwall
    #13 Col_C, May 3, 2016
    Your Optimate charger this one?
    accumate.co.uk/o-101.htm
    I've got the 101 and managed to wire it in under the seat next to the fuses, wired to the number plate fuse so there's no chance of any drain with ignition off.
    I'd be interested to know when you get your Drift 2 if the firmware logic is still the same, if you get any disconnect (even milliseconds) in the connected usb supply my Ghost S restarts in charging mode (checked I've got the latest update)........ as described before REALLY IRRITATING!! :mad:

14. anthony gothard

Mar 2, 2016
    lancashire uk
    Hi Col.
    That link wont load for me, mines called optimate 3. i asked for it as part of the £1000 initiative to buy the bike.
    The dealers also fit the charging lead which i didn't know about and so purchased one, also got the 12v adapter from optimate on ebay and a cigar lighter to usb adapter. so on mine you can see no wires as it is direct to the battery, then under the tank, tucked up out of the way with a waterproof plug ready to use. so i have all the options i will need covered. I looked at the ghost too, but decided to go for the smaller drift 2 with remote, should do all i need, and if i do need to use an external mike at any time, there is a mod on you tube which looks simple. Camera is due anytime from now to 14th, i will let you know if i have the same issue, one of the reasons for going for the wrist mounted ( or wherever you want) remote.

15. Col_C

Aug 5, 2015
    Cornwall
    Yes, Drift2 wasn't out when I got the GhostS couple years back (prices dropped a fair bit too). Drift2 being smaller is a definite plus. Screen on Ghost helps a bit checking camera view but that's about all.

16. Col_C

Aug 5, 2015
    Cornwall
    #16 Col_C, May 3, 2016
    I used this to mount the remote when I had the Multistrada, and just modified it a bit to reuse on the Speedy. Remote just clips in and still allows easy removal for charging. (remote lasts long enough for a full day on one charge)
    Shame the led's don't flash a bit faster, eyes off the road too long waiting for a flash.:eek:

We're way off the original thread now, but hey-ho. :rolleyes:

17. anthony gothard

Mar 2, 2016
    lancashire uk
    On the drift 2. You download an app from them to link to your phone via WI fi. This way you can look at the phone screen to set field of view. Can also use phone as a remote if you wish.

18. Col_C

Aug 5, 2015
    Cornwall
    #18 Col_C, May 4, 2016
    Last edited: May 4, 2016
    Yes, forgot about that. Win win then.:)

Just searched the 3D printing site for Drift
    This mount for the remote might be of interest. (bit expensive though :()

19. anthony gothard

Mar 2, 2016
    lancashire uk
    Bloody hell. For a bit of plastic. I'll find an alternative or use the wrist strap. Don't like anything cluttering bars.

20. Col_C

Aug 5, 2015
    Cornwall
    Yes, unfortunately 3d printing is a one-off process and quite slow, so you pay the price.
    I agree about keeping bars clean, but I can't manage without my sat-nav which compromises that anyway and unfortunately not easy to set up for easy removal. At least the camera stuff can be quickly removed with two screws.
    I did try the buttons on my right wrist when I first got the camera but found it too distracting.