Where To Buy Reasonably Priced Thermostat?

Discussion in 'Triumph General Discussion' started by London_Day_600, Feb 24, 2021.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. London_Day_600

Jul 7, 2019
    LONDON
    #1 London_Day_600, Feb 24, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2021
    Hello,

Looks like the thermostat in my 2004 Daytona 600 is a bit dodgy o_O

It says 88° on it but when testing in a pan of water nothing seemss to happen until over 100°C !!!
    Unless my Chinese thermometer is dodgy.... nope seems ok as it reports me as being 36° :)

The current thermostat is a CALORSTAT V-1028/1 N-1
    [​IMG]

I looked up the Triumph part number T2100715 and looking at £40 plus delivery!!!!!!!!

Does anyone know of a reasonably priced good thermostat supplier in the UK?
    And/OR cross reference to other bikes/cars which use the same/compatible (Calorstat V-1028/1) thermostat?
    I've looked at their website but the search seems to be for cars only.

Thanks,

Mark

2. Wire-Wheels

Wire-Wheels Elite Member

Apr 26, 2019
    California - USA
    A Chinese thermometer dodgy ? ;) ...never. ...J.D.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  3. London_Day_600

Jul 7, 2019
    LONDON
    I paid the pricely sum of 99p for it I'll have you know... :cool:

Its a glass mercury-free type (red spirit) and it is accurate against a digital thermometer in my tests; room temp, in the fridge, on the radiator.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Ducatitotriumph

Ducatitotriumph Crème de la Crème

Apr 25, 2019
    Rothwell
    Personally, i'd buy an original as it's lasted 16-17 years after all!

• Like Like x 1
  5. London_Day_600

Jul 7, 2019
    LONDON
    Yes I would under normal circumstances but currently I'm trying to diagnose its white smoking issue and its future is uncertain.

I don't know if the one above is the original or a Triumph replacement anyway. Similar Calorstat thermostats I've seen have been priced between £6-£11 and they seem to supply large car manufacturers anyway. I just can't find a compatibility reference anywhere with their current range.
    And they're not a Chinese outfit... ;)

• Like Like x 1
  6. Wire-Wheels

Wire-Wheels Elite Member

Apr 26, 2019
    California - USA
    As a maintenance engineer,I carried a thermometer in my shirt pocket at work for almost 25 years. The issue I have with the cheapo ones is they can be accurate at one place in thier range and way off elsewhere. I mostly used them to calibrate pneumatic thermostats. The cheapo digital ones are no better. They need calibrating occasionally. If thier battery is low they can be kind of "wonky". ...J.D.

7. London_Day_600

Jul 7, 2019
    LONDON
    I'VE FOUND IT!!!!

I started by searching the web with the Triumph part number T2100715 for pictures claiming to show a genuine part or site selling one showing pictures.
    Then checked all the available pictures for a part number. Assuming the displayed picture is of the genuine part you expect to get.
    Lots of pictures shared similarities with my thermostat - same shape, same jiggle pin, "FRANCE" stamped down one side, "CALORSTAT" stamped down the other side.
    THEN I found pictures of the actual bottom of the thermostat with "V-1028/1" stamped on it. See here; https://tinyurl.com/yzftw35b (shows Triumph packaging) and the bottom of the unit looks like mine.

I contacted an ebay seller with a Calorstat thermostat advertised asking if he can get one or confirm the correct manufacturer part number. I tried searching the Triumph part number on the Calorstat online catalogue but no results.
    The seller came back to me that V-1028/1 is P/N: TH3328.88J

Searching for TH3328.88J I'm finding them on offer between £8 & £20!
    There is a 82 degree C version - P/N: TH3328.82J.

So buying a Calorstat TH3328.88J instead of the 'original' Triumph thermostat part T2100715 from an official supplier you can now save yourselves £20-30 - but you won't get the cardboard box/plastic bag with "Triumph" written on it :(

Thanks.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Cyborgbot

Cyborgbot Guest

A lot of effort to save £10 to £20 - will the part be under warranty?

9. London_Day_600

Jul 7, 2019
    LONDON
    #9 London_Day_600, Mar 7, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2021
    Everything you buy in the UK new comes with a 12 month warranty apart from certain exclusions - products which are expected to wear out or have been abused/used incorrectly. (make sure you keep the receipt)

These are the lengths car/bike manufacturers go to to make you think your only option is to buy the genuine part.
    I can put that saved £20-£30 towards another new part or spend it down the pub when they re-open.

Are you saying you doubt buying a thermostat made by the same company that supplies the 'Original Triumph' product?

It has been known for years that the same 'official' replacement part for your car/bike at an official dealer is grossly marked up so it can have that particular makes logo (with ickle TM text at the end) stuck to the packet or box and provide you that 'feeling' of getting a superior product. And for garages to order at a discount but charge you full whack when you come in for work.
    But the parts themselves are not even made by your car/bike manufacturer at all but a third party.
    So find out who actually manufactures the part and buy it direct from them or independent supplier at the actual market price.
    Also that 'official part' for your car/bike is used across a number of other makes/models - so getting hold of cross-referencing information is also very useful. If you lookup the TH3328.88J is shows it fits Nissan, Suzuki, Chevrolet, Daihatsu, Mazda, Subaru - like consumable parts in general.

Calorstat began in 1927 supplying the O.E. market and moved into spare parts in 1991, with 5 global plants and presence in 70 countries...; https://tinyurl.com/t9huywe6

Being described as world-wide leader in the development and manufacture of elements of thermal regulation makes me comfortable the £10 thermostat I'm going to buy will be absolutely fine (it is a T2100715 afterall).
    Probably why Triumph have them manufacturing their 'official' part. ;)

• Like Like x 1
  10. Cyborgbot

Cyborgbot Guest

Sorry, I seem to have wrongly assumed the seller on eBay was a private seller and thus wouldn’t have a warranty with the device. Clearly there are dispute procedures with eBay to that might help but maybe not if it broke a few weeks later.

As for buying the same part from somewhere other than triumph that makes sense. My point really was that there has been a lot of research got into finding the part. As someone else said, they don’t go wrong often so why not save the time and hassle - However if buying in bulk then there would be a huge saving.

I look at time / effort as a return on investment. Spending hours finding a few pounds saving in my opinion just isn’t worth it :)

For others is it worth it. Each to their own.

• Like Like x 2
  11. London_Day_600

Jul 7, 2019
    LONDON
    You're absolutely right!
    If I had 500k in the bank I'd be giving this Daytona away on Gumtree then straight down the dealer and buying something Red & Italian... :heart_eyes:

But I don't and haven't worked for a year nor received any free furlough party money from Boris :mask:
    With my financial background I tend to work to a budget anyway on my projects.
    Now finding out my radiator is leaking, not currently sure where this leaves me either. Probably be my next post :sob:

12. Cyborgbot

Cyborgbot Guest

#12 Cyborgbot, Mar 7, 2021
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 7, 2021
    Totally empathetic to the cause. Totally understand and agree with what you said. Terrible you are excluded from the furlough bonanza (it’s not really a bonanza is it, but will allow some people to keep heads above water). You freelance or something?

I cannot agree with you however about buying something red and Italian!

Unless she been sat in the sun too long - good excuse to offer your services as a sun tan cream applicator.

PS: Hope you can speak Italian too - oh, the ladies (guy’s too I presume) are as temperamental as the bikes they make.

• Like Like x 1
  13. London_Day_600

Jul 7, 2019
    LONDON
    Oh gawd I couldn't imagine getting on the wrong side of a sunburnt Italian! Nope, only something which comes with a key and requires benzina!
    As long as it's Red & Italian and comes with a warranty, I can live with it...... for a while. :p

I'm contracting with a Ltd Co and my contract was about to be renewed when COVID kicked off. As the company was in the travel industry it felt the impact within a week and everyone who could be was out the door! :sob:

• Love You Love You x 1