When To Check The Map

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by DanielB, Nov 8, 2021.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. DanielB

DanielB Noble Member

Jan 13, 2019
    Abingdon, Oxfordshire
    Yo, yo, yo. Evening all...

So, as some may have seen I have littered the forum elsewhere regards my replacement of my vacuum hoses on my 2002 Speed Triple 955i.

Before I get charged merely for crossing the threshold at a dealership...(before being charged again to ask a question...and don't get me started on the cost of providing an answer)...is replacing these hoses likely to require a remap?

The old houses were a little split...so I'd imagine the new hoses are sealing better and doing what they are supposed to do 'better'.

Idle is a little below 1000rpm...and feels a little lumpy...

Thanks y'all.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. joe mc donald

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    DanielB.
    Changing hoses i should have though wouldn't require a remap. Could be wrong and a remap doesn't do any harm. Have you tried the three start method. Start the bike let it run till the fan kicks in three times letting it cool between starts sometimes get the bike to reset.
    Joe.

• Like Like x 1
  3. DanielB

DanielB Noble Member

Jan 13, 2019
    Abingdon, Oxfordshire
    Ah, thanks Joe... Interestingly...the engine light is on.

Before being concerned I am already going to let the bike do three warm/cold cycles as (hopefully) that will clear that.

I'll report back!

• Like Like x 2
  4. joe mc donald

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    DanielB
    Yes it did the trick when i had my sprint 1050. And the dealer recommended it. Just make sure the oil and all that is up to level.
    Joe.

5. sprintdave

sprintdave Nurse,he's out of bed again

May 25, 2014
    Birmingham
    It is very unlikely you will need to remap. The hoses splitting happens with age and the new hoses will make the bike run better and probably up your tickover speed too, it did on mine.
    I believe there is a 12 minute tune up where you start the bike without touching the throttle and let it run for 12 minutes then switch off, saw it on triumphrat site, think it lets the ecu set itself. Cant confirm it works tho as my bike has a different ecu.
    Engine light as you have heard is 3 cold to hot cycles.

6. tcbandituk

Subscriber

Apr 8, 2016
    Reading
    #6 tcbandituk, Nov 8, 2021
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2021
    Won't need a remap but injectors may need balancing for new hoses.

*Sorry, that should be throttle bodies not the injectors...

7. DanielB

DanielB Noble Member

Jan 13, 2019
    Abingdon, Oxfordshire
    Thank you all.

@tcbandituk how will I know about the injector balancing...how is it done?

8. capt

capt Elite Member

May 8, 2016
    western Australia
    The engine ECU learnt over time , hoses were deteriorating, will relearning will only take about two or three start's.
    Just ride it ! The minor running/tuning flaws will self adapt/learn away until back to normal operating returns.
    The biggest affect on engine tune/running .. is poor battery voltage. Amazing how much smoother a bike or car will run after Voltage drop issues are sorted.
    Last week my neighbour said his daughter's V6 Holden Commodore was using half a tank to do 160km 100 M ! New battery & car now does 400km or so to half tank !!
    Sensors miss report Reading's when voltage is Off.
    Same happens when rubber hoses aren't sealing ! Vacuum sensor are off and ecu tried to adapt/adjust ... It learns tries other factory map/adjustment...

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  9. DanielB

DanielB Noble Member

Jan 13, 2019
    Abingdon, Oxfordshire
    That's really useful @capt , thank you!