When Is A Bike Too Heavy?

Discussion in 'Triumph General Discussion' started by Beerman, Dec 28, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Beerman

Beerman Guest

This will be individual to each rider, but having come close to dropping my 2018 Speedmaster a couple of times while shunting it around the garage (it happens), I don't think I'd want anything heavier than its 250kg.

The weight distribution is low, which helps - but weight has been a factor in my bike decisions. I didn't buy a Honda CB1100 - 250kg, not so low - or a Guzzi California - 350kg - for this reason. I think the SM is about perfect for me, but others are happy with much heavier bikes.

I tend to think light is good - what do you think?

Beerman

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. dilligaf

dilligaf Guest

:eek: A bike is only too heavy after you’ve dropped it :p

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Like Like x 6
    • Funny Funny x 2
  3. capt

capt Elite Member

May 8, 2016
    western Australia
    It's only TOO heavy when it gets on top of you !

So don't get under it, or , drop it ...

Cheers capt

:p:(;)

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Yorkshireman

Yorkshireman Crème de la Crème

Dec 12, 2015
    Barnsley
    You can drop lightweight bikes too, a bike is too heavy when you can’t pick it up again.:mad:

• Agree Agree x 8
    • Like Like x 2
  5. Hamburg

Hamburg Senior Member

Dec 12, 2018
    Oxford, UK
    Personally, I like my bikes to come in at under 200 kgs they’re easy to wheel in and out of the garage, user friendly in traffic, flickable and usually quite fast.

But I don’t really do a lot of distance and don’t carry a pillion, so I do understand the need for a heavier bike, just not for me.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  6. Eldon

Eldon Elite Member

Nov 14, 2018
    North Yorkshire
    Beerman how big are YOU?

I'm only relatively small and notice the difference between my old thou and my 765 hence the reason for buying it and agree it makes a big difference.

• Like Like x 3
  7. Eldon

Eldon Elite Member

Nov 14, 2018
    North Yorkshire
    Hang on BB. Bike on top maybe not comfy but female smothercating me with titties and bits, WELL, I might be able to put up with that :joy::joy::kissing_heart:

• Funny Funny x 6
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  8. Sprinter

Sprinter Kinigit

Aug 17, 2014
    uk

Hee hee hee

• Funny Funny x 1
  9. Tony Richardson

Tony Richardson Active Member

Sep 15, 2018
    Norwich
    I had a 05 Bonnie T100 which was too heavy for me at 225KG, my Street Twin is 198 KG dry, which is still a little too heavy as well, but manageable as it’s got a low seat height. I used to be ok with heavy bikes when I was younger, but being only 5ft6 with a 29 “ leg doesn’t help.
    I don’t know why Triumph’s are so heavy, well engineered I know, but a 15-20 KG reduction would help me.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Dartplayer

Dartplayer Crème de la Crème

Aug 8, 2018
    New Zealand
    Love the weight of my speedy after looking hard at a Thunderbird. My choice was ankles and knees are less than great.
    I had a close call wheeling it back to position ready to lift on the paddock stand and watched as it wavered, to look down and see the side stand had flicked up.
    The sick feeling I never want to repeat.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Johnjo

Johnjo Senior Member

May 29, 2017
    Birmingham
    I think most triumph models except some of the sportier ones and some cruisers are too top heavy. Triumph designers have never heard of a low centre of gravity, imho.

I've had 4 tiger models over the years. Every one of them was a bitch to hold upright once they " start to go ". Which is barely off upright. I've jumped off two of them and had to let them fall rather than risk another back injury trying to hold them up.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Dartplayer

Dartplayer Crème de la Crème

Aug 8, 2018
    New Zealand
    What was she showing us? Sorry, very informative and lovely :imp:

• Funny Funny x 1
  13. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    I think we sometimes forget the old big twin bikes weighed in at about 190kg and a Honda 750 Four at 240kg. Much of the additional ‘modern’ weight comes from starter motors, bigger batteries and disc brakes over drums before you add cylinders, fairings etc.
    There is maybe also a deliberate design/price element in the ratio of sprung to unsprung weight. For comfort it helps to have a heavy lump that resists each twitch of the suspension. It why bigger cars ride better than small ones without trick suspension systems that don’t come cheap.
    In the US they have different ideas of starter bikes but in the UK have we not tended to graduate upwards as much by weight as power as experience grows?
    With our 2nd childhood we then go into reverse and downsize!

• Like Like x 3
  14. Beerman

Beerman Guest

I'm 5ft 9" when I'm trying to impress....so not tall. The Speedmaster suits me well, but I think that 250kg is plenty. It's only when it starts to go that you realise how heavy that is - every review of a big, heavy bike I've ever read says that 'the weight comes right off as soon as you start moving' - provided that is forward!

If I had one of those huge garages some people have that house a few cars and several bikes it might be easier - but I don't, and manoeuvring in a tight space can be tricky!

Beerman

• Agree Agree x 4
  15. Tricky-Dicky

Tricky-Dicky Crème de la Crème

Dec 12, 2016
    Norfolk UK
    I have been thinking about this since i want to sell the T160 and get the new Speedmaster...my T160 is kept in a building in the garden and needs a little lifting of the back end to get it in...which is no problem but add a good few kgs more and it will be...may have to think about building something in a a more accessible place as i am not getting any younger.

• Creative Creative x 2
  16. Hamburg

Hamburg Senior Member

Dec 12, 2018
    Oxford, UK
    I noticed at the NEC this year that bikes seem to be getting taller. I’m 5’7” with a 30” inside leg and there are loads of new bikes I just wouldn’t consider, the new Z900 is sadly one of them, why does a retro bike need a seat height the same as an adventure bike, I don’t get it.

• Agree Agree x 2
  17. Rich Bryce

Rich Bryce Dead Eye Dick

Sep 18, 2015
    Bedford
    Too heavy when you can't hold the fecker up when you have to stop suddenly. Since my auto-immune system collapsed three years ago come Friday (rheumatoid arthritis) I've had problems holding up taller top heavy bikes once they start to fall at low speeds, e.g my Tiger 800 has been over more than a couple of times when my left hip gives way when I haven't planned the stop.

I'm seriously thinking of the Street Triple R. The narrow frame and light weight make it easy to plant either foot in an emergancy, brace my knee and keep the bike upright. I'll have to bite the bullet and sell my Tiger, 1050 Sprint and one of my BonnieSE or Street Twin to finance the change.

• Like Like x 5
  18. thebiglad

thebiglad Old fart, still riding !

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    I found that a bike is too heavy when it affected my confidence to ride, particularly in the twisties.

I used to have a 2006 Tiger 955i and it's stated weight was 215-220 kgs, BUT that was it's declared weight from the factory. Ready for the road it weighed 245 kgs fully oiled and full petrol tank. It also carried it's weight high. When I added it's panniers and top-box for a holiday trip in the Alps it was a right mare - no fun at all.

I now have a Yamaha 2017 MT-07 Tracer. She weighs 193 kgs fully oiled and petrol tank 90% full plus she carries her weight lower.

And she, for me, is an absolute delight. Top speed 240 kph, loads of torque in every gear, fuel consumption 3.7ltrs per 100 kms, and highly chuckable. No problem manouvering her in tight spaces.

Plus a brilliant engine with loads of character and with the TEC exhaust she sounds brilliant. Noisy enough on low to medium revs (5000rpm) but then turn into a snarling bastid !!!!!!

The change in bike has given me at least another 5 yrs of riding ..............

• Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 2
  19. HughJarse

HughJarse Well-Known Member

May 8, 2017
    Just because a bike gets dropped doesn't mean it's too heavy, more often than not it's just carelessness by the rider.
    A bike is too heavy if you don't have confidence in yourself and/or if you think it is.

• Agree Agree x 5
  20. Hamburg

Hamburg Senior Member

Dec 12, 2018
    Oxford, UK
    I’ve managed to drop two bikes in the last five years, both were at junctions where I’ve stalled, the bike was on lock ready to make a turn and I lost the balance of the bike. It does knock your confidence when you drop one. One got away with a minor scratch to a pannier and the other one £600 in damage.

Lesson is to really concentrate at slow speeds especially manoeuvring.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  21. Wessa

Wessa Cruising

Apr 27, 2016
    North West England
    I agree with HughJ it is all about confidence and concentration when riding and moving them about, my LT is 350kg and the speedmaster is 245kg which means thinking about where you park and particular attention to the surface you are on. Follow these simple rules and you should be fine.
    Wessa

• Agree Agree x 1
  22. Dougie D

Dougie D Crème de la Crème

Jan 30, 2016
    Blairgowrie Perthshire
    I prefer a heavy bike! to me they seem more planted on the road..that might change as I get older though:confused:

• Agree Agree x 2