Wheelies...

Discussion in 'Speed Triple' started by Andy Martin, Jan 13, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Andy Martin

Andy Martin New Member

Dec 15, 2018
    Bath
    Afternoon Guy's and Gal's, after a short but great ride today on the 1050 r Triple.. Now over a beer been wondering if you wanted to learn wheelies, would Clutch or power be best?, oh and any tips!...
    Thanks in advance, cheers .

2. TEZ 217

TEZ 217 Crème de la Crème

Mar 6, 2016
    south shields
    #2 TEZ 217, Jan 13, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2019
    If you must do a wheelie.
    My advice would be buy a shitter to practise on :D:D:D

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Like Like x 2
  3. Hamburg

Hamburg Senior Member

Dec 12, 2018
    Oxford, UK
    In my yoof I used to be pretty good at pulling wheelies on my old Honda CB100N.

Best method is to pull away in first gear, get the revs up and instead of changing up into second pull the clutch in and let it out quickly whilst keeping the revs up and the front end should go up.

The ST will pop the front wheel up in second exiting a roundabout as it’s so light.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. David Cooper

David Cooper Triumph Rocketeer.
    Subscriber

• Agree Agree x 4
  5. Andy Martin

Andy Martin New Member

Dec 15, 2018
    Bath
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Andy Martin

Andy Martin New Member

Dec 15, 2018
    Bath
    Thanks Dozer, just chatted to a guy who said the same.. Clutch ones easer to control, but then he said why be a wanker and total your bike.. Had a laugh at that...

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  7. Rocker

Rocker Elite Member

May 1, 2016
    Suffolk
    :joy::joy::joy: twats
    I'm glad I can't wheelie and so should you be expensive hobby

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  8. David Cooper

Subscriber

Caught by a police horse lol

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Like Like x 3
  9. capt

capt Elite Member

May 8, 2016
    western Australia
    Power would be best as popping the clutch with high revs=lack of control on initial lift ! Best way is to gear down your bike , lose one tooth off the front and maybe add to the rear. I could mono my 94 Trident which had carburetors modified and two more teeth on the rear, I could lift front wheel in first three gears , using following method - in appropriate gear accelerate hard up to 4500 ish rpm, close throttle sharply then open sharply with a slight shuffle back on the seat and a light pull back on the bars ! But practice small and increase as you find the right point's for your bike Oh and somewhere safe with a mate to take you to the hospital if it all goes Pearshaped ! I used a car park with a slight up hill slope, the slope helps as you are already a few degrees off level !!

• Like Like x 1
  10. capt

capt Elite Member

May 8, 2016
    western Australia
    All the stunt riders Massively gear down their bikes ! Like 15 tooth front Sprocket's replacing 17/18 and they put 45/50 tooth rears to replace 39/44 rears ! Some even go over 60 tooth rears !!!

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. David Cooper

Subscriber

It just goes to show you how bad this countries coming to, is when the first thing the policeman says, is do you speak English.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Bad Billy

Bad Billy Baddest Member

Jun 1, 2017
    Southern Softyville
    Hi mate,
    Wheelies are cool if you’re good at them, you look like a complete tool if you get it wrong though!
    I learned to wheelie whilst racing Motocross, you have to be able to lift the front wheel at will to get the bike to glide over really rough sections.
    It is relatively easy on a light & powerful off roader.
    Road bikes are heavier & the landing & damage are far worse if you cock up!
    Clutch or power? Depends on how much power you got, the less you have the more you need the clutch. Wheelies really are the combination of power, balance & throttle control.
    Would advise trying on a dirt bike if you can until you have a feel for it as getting it wrong on the road is not an option!!
    I stopped doing wheelies on the road when I read that the police treat them as dangerous driving regardless of how under control you are whilst doing them.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  13. Hamburg

Hamburg Senior Member

Dec 12, 2018
    Oxford, UK
    #13 Hamburg, Jan 13, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2019
    They’re probably trained to ask that question, especially in London, all part of dignity and respect.

I thought the copper was very good, nice and old school, a proper bollocking.

• Agree Agree x 8
    • Like Like x 1
  14. Hamburg

Hamburg Senior Member

Dec 12, 2018
    Oxford, UK
    Good point about road bikes, wheelies do completely fuck up your head bearings and in extreme circumstances can even cause the headstock to break away from the frame.

So best advice is to use a friends bike :p

• Funny Funny x 10
  15. Danimal

Danimal Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2018
    Usa
    Speedies are really easy to wheelie. Don’t mess with popping the clutch, that’s harder and not necessarily on a speed. Just take off from a stop with maybe a quarter throttle and when you feel the power start to come on around 4K-5k r.p.m.’s give it a healthy roll on. It should do a nice controlled little power wheelie. Then as you get more comfortable with it you can use the same method but snap the throttle open and it will come up faster and higher. Also if you have a 2016 or newer make sure your in track mode or it won’t wheelie

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Bad Billy

Bad Billy Baddest Member

Jun 1, 2017
    Southern Softyville
    Is that you or the wheelie :joy::joy::joy:

• Funny Funny x 5
  17. Eldon

Eldon Elite Member

Nov 14, 2018
    North Yorkshire
    Danimal touched on it sort of but if on something modern then traction control will stop you wheelieing no matter how hard you try unless you turn it off.
    Took a known local jump at 80 other week and tc light was flashing away nicely :yum

Used to have a Yamaha TTR 250 for going to work on. Pop it up in 1st then run it through the box but it didn't have enough guts to keep 4th up for long ;)

• Like Like x 2
  18. Exuptoy

Exuptoy Senior Member

Feb 10, 2018
    Maesteg, South Wales
    Buy an MT10, it’ll wheelie in first through fourth! :)

• Like Like x 1
  19. mpllineman

mpllineman First Class Member

Feb 12, 2018
    Pearl,Ms.
    I learned most of my riding skills on my first bike, 72 Honda XL250. A heavy beast, but it sure was fun. And as we all know so well, The dirt hurts less than asphalt/concrete, making this choice easy! I live in a small town with a really good police dept, but I cannot believe that they would cut me any slack as far as street wheelies are concerned. My insurance is high enough already.

• Like Like x 2
  20. chuk

chuk Senior Member
    Subscriber

Jan 10, 2017
    neilston glasgow
    Buy a cheap motocrosser I did my first wheelie by accident on my old cr250 1999 model,no clutch required open the gas and fucking hell up the front comes,should never have sold it fantastic bike had it 2 yrs never missed a beat and got what I paid for it when I sold it.

• Like Like x 5
    • Funny Funny x 1
  21. Uncorrugated

Uncorrugated Senior Member

May 25, 2017
    Northamptonshire
    It's not big.

It's not clever.

Don't do it.

:)

13002538_1017681904933591_5776862265339891451_o.jpg

• Like Like x 4