Wheel removal

Discussion in 'Speed Triple' started by topbanana0, Sep 13, 2016.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. topbanana0

topbanana0 Well-Known Member

Mar 27, 2016
    South Wales
    hi, I need to remove both wheels for new rubber, any tips.
    Rear looks straight forward.
    But on some YouTube videos, I have seen them remove brake calipers? (Video wasn't a speedy)
    Can't remember removing brakes on previous bikes?

2. darkman

darkman Crème de la Crème

Oct 26, 2015
    Southcoast of the UK Earth
    Yes remove both front calipers to remove front wheel, don't forget the pinch bolts on the right leg are a very low torque setting otherwise you will snap off the clamp when refitting.

3. R_1000

R_1000 Elite Member
    Subscriber

Sep 2, 2016
    UK, London
    torque wrench would be ideal. Make sure to hang the calipers with cable ties as you don't want to snag the brake lines ;-)

4. muzhik

muzhik Member

May 9, 2016
    Maryland, USA
    Rear caliper doesn't need to be removed, but the fronts do - else the tire won't clear on the way out. You'll need a 46mm socket for the rear and a 17mm hex for the front axle. Torque specs in this thread: http://thetriumphforum.co.uk/threads/please-confirm-torque-settings.6829/

edit: just realized your bike is a '16, topbanana. Note that mine is a '14. Not sure all the specs will be the same (fitting sizes or torque). I suspect they're similar, though.

5. topbanana0

Mar 27, 2016
    South Wales
    Cheers for the info guys, think I'm going to get a torque wrench to tighten the bolt correct.
    Problem is the ones I've looked at go from 10nm-80nm, then 30nm-150nm.
    Have to find one that does all the settings

6. darkman

Oct 26, 2015
    Ohlins very kindly put the setting on the bottom of the fork (19nm) :) I am sure you will have to buy two torque wrenches to do the job and remember to always unwind it to the lowest setting after using it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. R_1000

R_1000 Elite Member
    Subscriber

Sep 2, 2016
    UK, London
    I thought it is 22mm hex bit socket for the front axle!!! sorry if I got it wrong

8. muzhik

muzhik Member

May 9, 2016
    Maryland, USA
    Perhaps it varies by year. I know I had to order a 17mm for my 2014 (non-R model)

9. topbanana0

Mar 27, 2016
    South Wales
    It's a 17mm hex on mine, really don't want to buy two torque wrenches. But struggling to get one that covers 19nm-146nm. I have found one that's 20nm-200nm, do you think 1 extra nm on the front pinch bolts will be ok?
    Or get a lower range one, and guess the rear axel, I've never use a torque wrench on any of my other bikes?

10. topbanana0

Mar 27, 2016
    South Wales
    That said two would be cheaper than the 20-200nm one, grrr

• Like Like x 1
  11. muzhik

muzhik Member

May 9, 2016
    Maryland, USA
    To be perfectly honest, a torque wrench or two is a good thing to have. Once you get it (them), you'll find yourself using it more often than you think.

That being said, the only real benefit I've noticed in my years using them on arguably "less-than-critical" items is that I've not warped a brake rotor on a car in ages (presumably the problems arose from the lugs being torqued unevenly - though it could be pure coincidence and better metallurgy these days). Prior to using torque wrenches I never had a fastener back itself out. If anything, I snapped the occasional bolt from over-torquing it. That still happens from time to time because it's not always practical to get a torque wrench into tight spaces and I still don't know my own strength sometimes (though most fasteners are broken when trying to REMOVE them).

The truth is you have fail safes built in on both front and rear axles in the form of pinch bolts (front) and a retaining ring/"castle nut" sort of set up in the rear. You can get by without a torque wrench and not worry that the wheels will come off on their own. Just pay attention to how hard you have to turn the fasteners to loosen them, and turn them approximately as hard when you put things back together.

Then go buy a torque wrench or two as budget and time allow. Again, you'll find yourself using them more often than you currently foresee.

12. Shamus13

Shamus13 Well-Known Member

Apr 18, 2016
    East Riding of Yorkshire, UK
    I have 3 torque wrenches. A large cheap one that goes upto 220nm which is really only used for things like wheel axles. Another slightly dearer one which does 20nm - 88nm for the majority of things and an expensive one that does 3nm-24nm, this one been more accurate for things like cam cap bolts. The higher the NM the less accurate it has to be for example 10nm over the specified axle torque isn't going to break it or cause an issue, 10nm over on cam cap bolts would lead to great expense.

13. R_1000

R_1000 Elite Member
    Subscriber

Sep 2, 2016
    UK, London
    I use 2 norbar torque wrenches. 8-60Nm & 40-200Nm. As you guys have said...it's an investment. Anything below 8Nm, I tend to go by feel.

14. Taff Salmon

Taff Salmon Active Member

Aug 22, 2016
    no
    Ditto
    A small accurate one for delicate stuff
    A GP one for the hefty stuff which isn't so critical.
    They have a ratchet so use them all the time. Evenness is more important than the torque setting on anything with more than 1 bolt.
    (OR If you have a classic bike there are only 3 settings. Tight, Loose and Vibed off and gone).

• Like Like x 1
  15. R_1000

R_1000 Elite Member
    Subscriber

Sep 2, 2016
    UK, London
    Managed to take the loose wheels n fitted my new M7RRs :)

Now fit all the carbon bits :).

Exciting night tonight :)

• Like Like x 2
  16. darkman

Oct 26, 2015
    Not for us unless you post some pix :(

• Like Like x 1
  17. R_1000

R_1000 Elite Member
    Subscriber

Sep 2, 2016
    UK, London
    Hang in there buddy. I ordered the triumph indicators n they should be with me this coming week. So I will sort everything out and get the pictures up and running.

So far I have done the following:

New rubbers M7RRs
    Carbon fender side panels
    Carbon radiator cover
    Carbon hugger and chain guard
    Pzzo short black levers with red adjuters
    R&G clutch n crank case engine sliders
    R&G rear wheel spindle sliders
    S Moto Rad & Oil cooler covers
    3 Pistons bar end mirrors
    Oxford sports premium heated grips
    GI Pro Healtech Gear Indicator
    Light tint headlight covers - the tint is very light...it doesn't reduce the lighting at all.

To do....
    Triumph LED indicators front & Rear
    Rear brake pads
    Trying to source a tinted fly screen

The following are in the list but no sure if I want to go ahead as it might look too OTT. I like to preserve some of the originality of Speed Triple ....
    Carbon swingarm cover
    Carbon headlight bowl
    OEM phantom black belly pan

• Like Like x 1
  18. darkman

Oct 26, 2015
    #18 darkman, Sep 17, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2016
    No pics of the new rubber then :(

[​IMG]

19. R_1000

R_1000 Elite Member
    Subscriber

Sep 2, 2016
    UK, London
    Here we go Mr Darkman. ... the new metzeler m7rr 190/55 ;-)

20160918_234903.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  20. t552

t552 Senior Member

Nov 17, 2014
    Bristol UK
    I work calibrating torque wrenches for aircraft.
    I recommend Norbar

• Like Like x 2