Wheel Dilemma.

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Dave C, May 8, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Dave C

Dave C Elite Member

Dec 22, 2017
    North Dorset
    #1 Dave C, May 8, 2018
    Last edited: May 8, 2018
    Well now I've stopped sobbing I can ask this question, after a brill day out riding I set about cleaning my Speedy last evening, I'd used Auto Glym engine and machine cleaner umteen times on my bikes, always weary not to leave it long before washing off, however, first use of it on my new pride and joy seen the rear wheel left with a mottled haze, I've just tried Auto Glym showroom shine, polish, paint restorer (like T-Cut) and a little WD-40, none worked, has anyone else had the same issue and any top tips to rectify would be much appreciated.

2. Dave C

Dave C Elite Member

Dec 22, 2017
    North Dorset
    The wheels are, I'd say a semi matt finish in black, or a hazy dark grey now in the case of the rear wheel.

3. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    Supposedly it is a solvent free water based detergent so adding other elements has maybe complicated the situation. Got a dishwasher? The rinse aid with hot water might help leave as clean a surface as you can get......
    Question.....did you do both wheels the same and is it just the rear affected? If so, it would suggest the cleaner is not the cause but some other contamination.

4. Dave C

Dave C Elite Member

Dec 22, 2017
    North Dorset
    . Yes, it is a water based, biodegradable, degreaser, it says it's suitable for all vehicle components, I realised the effect it had before using it on the front wheel so as the rear was fine before I cleaned it I'd say it was definitely the culprit, I don't have a dishwasher but can no doubt cadge some rinse aid from someone who does, thanks for the tip.

5. darkman

darkman Crème de la Crème

Oct 26, 2015
    Southcoast of the UK Earth
    If you are around today you could pop over to my place as i have loads of products that we could try out, sounds like either the cleaner has attacked the finish or possibly it had been like it before and you just cleaned off what ever was disguising it before.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Dave C

Dave C Elite Member

Dec 22, 2017
    North Dorset
    That's a very kind offer darkman and a much appreciated valid point, sadly off to London today for a funeral then not so sadly to France for a long weekend, I've contacted AutoGlym too so will see what they come back with, thanks again.

7. darkman

darkman Crème de la Crème

Oct 26, 2015
    Southcoast of the UK Earth
    No probs, when you have some time i am only down the road north of Bournemouth if you get stuck. 07578091255 :) Home most days

8. Dave C

Dave C Elite Member

Dec 22, 2017
    North Dorset
    Thanks darkman, much appreciated, will bear it in mind.