Whats Too Many?

Discussion in 'America, Speedmaster & Rocket' started by walob, Jan 18, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. walob

walob Member

Sep 2, 2018
    Westcliff on Sea
    Hi lads, what I'd like to know is, how many accessories would be safe on the battery on my America?

At the moment I've got Oxford hand warmers, spot lights (not sure if these have 2 connections?), usb hub, then I wanna fit a tomtom rider mount hardwired and the Innovv K2 camera system which has got to be hardwired making 5 or 6, Is this asking too much from the battery? Thing is it's getting a pain taking the battery terminals off each time to fit another acc :mad::mad::mad:

Anybody know of a good battery connector thingy lol!

Thanks guys

2. TEZ 217

TEZ 217 Crème de la Crème

Mar 6, 2016
    south shields
    You could always carry a generator on the pillion seat :D:D

• Funny Funny x 4
  3. walob

walob Member

Sep 2, 2018
    Westcliff on Sea
    Tez I'll do you favour and swop you my America for that tatty ol Thunderbird? Just trying to help you out mate ;)

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. TEZ 217

Mar 6, 2016
    south shields
    What you don't Know Walob is I have a genny and dilligaf in the trailer,

DSC00856 (2).JPG
    OH not forgetting Dilli's case of JD :p:p:p

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
  5. Rocker

Rocker Elite Member

May 1, 2016
    Suffolk
    Buy a kit car etc 6 gang fuse box then you'll have one connection to the battery and a fused power take off

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  6. Rocker

Rocker Elite Member

May 1, 2016
    Suffolk
    Put the JD in Dilli and you'll have more room:)

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. StrippleMont

StrippleMont Senior Member

Nov 5, 2016
    Round your way!
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  8. Fubie

Fubie New Member

Jul 23, 2017
    Raleigh NC
    • Like Like x 1
  9. thebiglad

thebiglad Old fart, still riding !

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    Hi walob, it's not just the battery you need to be careful with, it's the charging circuit as well.

So for example if your bike charges at 500 watts and the total draw from all the ancills is 600 watts, you'll end up with a flat battery !!!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Yorkshireman

Yorkshireman Crème de la Crème

Dec 12, 2015
    Barnsley
    Look for a good auto electrician who knows bike electrics, you need to know you are providing more than you intend to use or you'll end up with a flat battery and/or damage to the charging system.

• Like Like x 1
  11. walob

walob Member

Sep 2, 2018
    Westcliff on Sea
    Thank you guys, thanks for all your points, I need to work out whats being drawn from all the add-ons, I might have to take off my usb double plug if I’m gonna hard wire the satnav and Innovv K2 in place :bomb:

But I will go down the route of finding a good auto electrician to check on things first. :mask:

Thanks again guys :)

• Like Like x 1
  12. walob

walob Member

Sep 2, 2018
    Westcliff on Sea

That is one beautiful looking machine Tez, it’s always nice looking at a bike in the summer when there’s no damp in the air! Dunno what part if the world you in (South Sheilds!! That must be freezing up there!!) but down Essex its bloody cold and damp!
    My bike’s in the garage under wraps I’m chomping a the bit to get out again but the roads are abit naughty at mo! :poop:

13. mpllineman

mpllineman First Class Member

Feb 12, 2018
    Pearl,Ms.
    I believe this is the route I would take, if I were to add on multiple electrical acc. Check out Delboys video on adding a fused cable for these goodies, that are behind your ignition switch. It is very easy and would be my choice. But, there are different routes to achieve your goal. The supplied paperwork with each acc. should provide the amperage for each product, You don't need an electrician for this/ Just a pencil will do! Good luck

• Like Like x 2
  14. walob

walob Member

Sep 2, 2018
    Westcliff on Sea
    Thanks for that mate, I saw Delboys vid on that, adding a wire for acc’s, but it would be better with an actual fused acc unit, as you said, in there somewhere....trouble being is space, with the K2 DVR unit and the power unit and everything else there’s just not enough space to fit it all under the seat! lol!

I’ll take the seat off and have a look....when it gets warmer! :cold_sweat:;)

• Like Like x 1
  15. TEZ 217

Mar 6, 2016
    south shields
    Many thanks walob, Yes bloody freezing up here in so - shields (Newcastle Upon Tyne), had snow last week but wasn't to bad, my bike is also wrapped up, well was until today unwrapped as messing with trailer lights, cold but enjoyable day in garage :D:D and success with new led trailer lights :D:D

• Like Like x 2
  16. MrOrange

MrOrange Guest

One of the boys on the SV650 Forum had a gizmo made up and sold loads of them. Wired to the battery, relay switched on by an ignition live (taillight on SV), then three outputs to whatever you wanted. Had this on Sv , then the Gixxer, but no space on the America, plus never fitted heated grips. If I do get some heated grips for the Tuono, this will be part of the install.

upload_2019-1-21_17-0-57.png

• Useful Useful x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  17. walob

walob Member

Sep 2, 2018
    Westcliff on Sea
    The agro I had trying to fit LED’s :triumph: Thought it would be a simple job putting them in the tank cluster!! Bought all the bulbs front n back....nothing would work! Spoke to a bloke on fleabay and I would’ve had to rewire under the tank cluster just to put brighter lights in!

As I’m not that good at leccys I couldn’t be asked. BMW and Triumph I think are the only companys that do Can-bus system so I thought nutz to it:mad::mad::triumph: I’ve just ordered another fuse box, I’ll see if there’s any way I can get it under the tank to take all the wiring off of the battery?

• Like Like x 1
  18. walob

walob Member

Sep 2, 2018
    Westcliff on Sea
    Thanks for the input on this mate but it looks more complicated than just the fuse box mod!! lol :eek:

• Thanks Thanks x 1