Thruxton Whats This?

Discussion in 'Thruxton, Scrambler & Trident' started by johne, Jan 21, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. johne

johne Standing on the shoulders of dwarves.

Jan 16, 2020
    Where the Wolds meet the sea
    I have a 2011 900 EFi Thruxton. I noticed what seems to be a 9v power outlet just behind the cam cover on the RH (chain) side of the engine. I say 9v because I put an AVo across the contacts inside with the bike ignition switched on and it was reading about 8.9v. I'm assuming a previous owner has retro fitted this as I can't find any info about such a socket in my owners handbook. Its smaller diameter than a conventional cigarette lighter socket. For a Sat Nav or heated clothing perhaps? I really don't know. It does seem in a slightly exposed position with regard to heat from the motor. Anyone know what it is and what its designed to power?

Thanks[​IMG]

DSCN1876.JPG DSCN1875.JPG

2. johne

Jan 16, 2020
    Thanks mate. I actually have a Ctek charger and I have one of those connectors you've put the link up for (wired up to the battery) tucked away behind the side panel.

Going back to the outlet in question, I've just started the bike up and checked the voltage again. It maxes out at about 10.4v (it certainly doesn't get up into the 12v region. As I mentioned it gives out about 8.9v with the engine stopped, but ignition on. I think it could be a power socket for a Sat Nav , but it does seem a weird place to position it.

• Like Like x 1
  3. crispey

crispey crispey creme de la creme

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    is it a hella socket? smaller than a cigarette lighter/power socket but the same kind of size? [​IMG]
    you can plug in usb adapters to power phones etc. If its continually powered you should be able to charge the battery through it with the right adaptor

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Useful Useful x 1
  4. johne

Jan 16, 2020
    Yes, it looks just like that, the inside diameter is about 12mm

5. Wessa

Wessa Cruising

Apr 27, 2016
    North West England
    If you want to use it you can get an adaptor like this one...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Cliff-Top-...9Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=

• Informative Informative x 1
  6. johne

Jan 16, 2020
    Thanks guys. I don't know if I'll use it or not. As I mentioned, it seems to me to be located in a rather weird place where it will certainly take a lot of engine heat. The next time I have the fuel tank off, I'll have a better look and see if the wiring is long enough to move it somewhere else.

• Like Like x 1
  7. crispey

crispey crispey creme de la creme

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    I'd just unscrew it and turn it 180 degrees if you're worried, but I guess its been there some time and doesn't look damaged

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1