What's This? Triumph America

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Heaths, Jun 12, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Heaths

Heaths New Member

May 24, 2019
    Kent England
    Hi, this will most probably sound really thick but can anyone tell me what the attached picture is. It's a wire, attached to something right next to the oil filter. It's just that there seems to be a small oil leak from it, is it a sensor? Thank you for any help you can give, Joanne

received_1722964124516037.jpeg

• Like Like x 1
  2. freck

freck Elite Member

May 4, 2017
    Preston, Lancs, UK
    Hi Joanne, certainly looks like a sensor. I’d guess an oil pressure sensor.
    I had a quick look on the Triumph diagrams on Fowlers but couldn’t see anything on the sump diagram like that. :confused:

• Like Like x 1
  3. Heaths

Heaths New Member

May 24, 2019
    Kent England
    Thanks for trying

4. freck

freck Elite Member

May 4, 2017
    Preston, Lancs, UK
    What model is your America?

5. Wire-Wheels

Wire-Wheels Elite Member

Apr 26, 2019
    California - USA
    Pretty much has to be a sensor for either oil pressure or temperature. I would say sump temperature, because pressure is up behind the cylinders if it.is an air cooled bike. Is this bike EFI ? ...J.D.

6. Heaths

Heaths New Member

May 24, 2019
    Kent England
    No it's carbs and it's an 04 America

7. Wire-Wheels

Wire-Wheels Elite Member

Apr 26, 2019
    California - USA
    If it is carburetted, then it is oil PRESSURE. There is no sump temp sensor on the carburetted bikes. These engines have 2 oil pumps. Not sure how it is tyed in electrically, but the only function is.the oil idiot light. This would be an ideal spot to add a pressure gauge for the second pump, if in fact is is for the other pump. Question in my mind is = Does the idiot light come on if either pump output pressure.is.low ? I'd like to look at that the next time I have my '02 America up in the air. ...J.D.

• Like Like x 1
  8. wigoh

wigoh New Member

May 16, 2019
    Kent....England..
    Just replaced the same looking thing on my 06 bonny t100...leaking just like yours it's the neutral gear switch...well it was on mine....lol..

• Useful Useful x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Wire-Wheels

Wire-Wheels Elite Member

Apr 26, 2019
    California - USA
    Well, that answers our question. Thank you Wigoh ! ...J.D.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. wigoh

wigoh New Member

May 16, 2019
    Kent....England..
    Just replaced the oil pressure switch on my 06 carb bonny t100....its situated just above the carbs in between them...bit of a sod to get to!....

• Useful Useful x 1
  11. wigoh

wigoh New Member

May 16, 2019
    Kent....England..
    Just replaced the oil pressure switch on my 06 carb bonny t100....its situated just above the carbs in between them...bit of a sod to get to!....

12. Wire-Wheels

Wire-Wheels Elite Member

Apr 26, 2019
    California - USA
    To be totally honest, I have done very little work on these bikes. I bought mine used for $2700 seven years ago. It has been as reliable as a hammer. Mostly what I know is what I have read. Not even an oil drip in all that time. Of course it helps that it is used pretty sparingly, as I have 2 other bikes. ...J.D.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Drewnax

Drewnax New Member

Dec 4, 2018
    Utah, USA
    Do you have pictures or details for the process? I think I have the same leak on my 14 Bonnie.

14. wigoh

wigoh New Member

May 16, 2019
    Kent....England..
    Dead easy to do....I had mine on the side stand, bit of pain seeing and getting to it given where it is.....torch and a mirror....old one off new one on don't forget the round gasket, some said they lost some oil I diddnt

image.jpeg

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  15. Drewnax

Drewnax New Member

Dec 4, 2018
    Utah, USA
    Much obliged wigoh!