What's The Point In Quick Shifters?

Discussion in 'Speed Triple' started by speeder, Mar 17, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. speeder

speeder Noble Member

Jan 3, 2019
    dorset
    Why do people want quickshifters?
    From a mechanical point of view it seems a recipe for disaster....rapid clutchless changes at high revs puts colossal stress on the gearbox and then people moan when something breaks.

Ok for track days perhaps but for a road bike?
    Sound like madness to me.

What's the point of them?

• Agree Agree x 12
  2. Col_C

Col_C I can't re...Member

Aug 5, 2015
    Cornwall
    And IMO there's more satisfaction in achieving super slick manual gear changes.

• Agree Agree x 13
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  3. dilligaf

dilligaf Guest

Yeah not for me :confused:
    But if we were all the same it’d be pretty boring :(
    Only ever ridden one bike with a quick shifter a Fireblade special which only did it on the up shift :)
    It just felt alien to me :confused:

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 2
  4. Red Thunder

Red Thunder Crème de la Crème

Dec 2, 2014
    High Wycombe
    I have pretty much perfected the clutchless upshifts on my 2010 Speed Triple
    I load the gear lever with pressure (using my foot obviously), then as I shut the throttle to no-load the gear changes without any further pressure and I open the throttle again, all in an instant. Lovely and smooth, proper gear engagement every time and a sense of advanced gear change achievement.

It sounds good too ♫♫

Clutchless down shifting I am working on, it's a bit clunky at the moment

• Like Like x 3
  5. Notso

Notso Senior Member

Dec 17, 2018
    Solihull
    Apparently they are not bad for the gearbox as it ensures no throttle at change. High throttle and revs with or without quick shifter is going to be higher wear on either system. Still don't want it, plus it'd be odd on a Street Twin!

• Like Like x 2
  6. Col_C

Aug 5, 2015
    Cornwall
    I disagree, there are plenty of articles to be found stating that q/s wear gearboxes, a race/track bike gearbox will not be expected to cover as many trouble free miles without maintenance as a road bike.
    And it's not as simple as just "no throttle", engine speed should be matched to road speed for a given gear, so there's plenty of scope to get it wrong whether q/s or manual. :)
    To answer the OP's first question I'm not sure "people" actually want a q/s, it's just the answer the marketing people get when they ask a focus group they've just wined/dined/massaged ego's.
    I rode a S1000XR with q/s for a week in the Alps, nice bike - but the q/s didn't add anything to the experience.
    ........and don't even get me started on "engine/rider modes" :laughing:

• Agree Agree x 3
  7. speeder

speeder Noble Member

Jan 3, 2019
    dorset
    As you say...each to their own, but even on my standard bike I have not had problems getting away from traffic lights or multiple overtakes.
    How much time does the quickshifter actually save? A couple of seconds perhaps?

• Like Like x 1
  8. steve lovatt

steve lovatt Something else

May 12, 2014
    North Yorkshire
    I've only ever ridden one bike fitted with a quick shifter, a Tiger 1200 on a demo ride.
    As I usually make clutchless up shifts when accelerating hard I found I never really used it and when I made a conscious effort to bother I didn't find it much quicker to be honest.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Col_C

Aug 5, 2015
    Cornwall
    You have to make allowances.... he's riding a ditchpump for God's sake! :joy::laughing:;)
    (I understand they've improved of late but when I tried a GS a few years back the gearbox was definately suited to a MF)
    Massey Ferguson

Cornering abs is the only tech I lust after - for the unexpected.
    Everything else I want and expect to be in control of - that is the challenge of riding - and source of satisfaction for me.
    As you say everyone to their own. :)

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. dilligaf

dilligaf Guest

Have to agree about the hill hold it’s bloody brilliant:cool:
    Got stuck at some temporary traffic lights on the way back from Scotlandshire the other week and they were on an uphill bank :(
    Just gave the front brake an extra squeeze and it was like putting a handbrake on :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. speeder

speeder Noble Member

Jan 3, 2019
    dorset
    Hmmm,this is a new one on me....have many bikes got this?

12. dilligaf

dilligaf Guest

Just the GOOD ones :p

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. speeder

speeder Noble Member

Jan 3, 2019
    dorset
    Have to agree, I've had a couple BM's and the gearboxes were terrible .
    l had both of them apart to replace broken springs and failed bearings etc.
    Pity because the engines were fantastic.
    The boxes are not actually made by BMW , l think are subcontracted to a company called ZWN or something like that.
    As you say, the new ones are supposed to be better now.

14. Rspete

Rspete Elite Member

Jun 17, 2018
    Durham
    I've just ordered the quick shifter for my rocket.

Not :joy:

• Funny Funny x 4
  15. Arno triple

Arno triple Senior Member

Aug 26, 2018
    Netherlands
    I thought about ticking the box when ordering my RS, but the had the exact same conversation with myself... so decided not to order it. Sure, it’s fun to keep full throttle when pulling another traffic light sprint with your mates, but I decided I’d rather use the cash for fuel.

Best damn decision I made in a fecking long time..

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  16. Shaun64

Shaun64 Senior Member

Feb 23, 2020
    England
    I grew up riding Honda 50s etc up the wood which I loved doing but I used to dream of a bike with a clutch,I still love riding a bike with a clutch,I just don’t get this clutchless gear changing, I’ve had two bikes with a quick shifter Daytona 675 and my street triple RS and I rarely use the quick shifter.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Col_C

Aug 5, 2015
    Cornwall
    NO !!
    2 years on a Multistrada has developed a healthy aversion to unnecessary electronics.
    ABS - yes, traction control I don't need.
    Having ridden with panniers, topbox and the wife on back I can see the attraction of hill hold in certain situations.....
    (especially if you're a short-ass on a GS ;))
    Agree cruise control is useful if blasting some boring miles on the Payage, but I always try to avoid them anyway.

.......BUT we're here.....on the Speed Triple section of the forum - so needs neither. :p
    My 2015 94R is a PURE motorcycle IMHO. :)
    (before Triumph started loading it with electronics - and preventing home maintenance to a significant degree)

• Like Like x 3
  18. Andymarksonline

Andymarksonline Well-Known Member

Aug 26, 2018
    Kent
    What’s not to like. Come off a roundabout onto an ‘ahem’ empty runway and nail it up to 6th!!!!

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  19. Col_C

Aug 5, 2015
    Cornwall
    See post #2 :)
    (also - each to their own)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. topbanana0

topbanana0 Well-Known Member

Mar 27, 2016
    South Wales
    It's the same as having a flappy paddle gear change in a car, to make people think they are racing drivers, and give the impression your a better driver/rider than you are.
    For most of us, it pointless........ but everyone to there own I guess.

• Like Like x 2