Featured What you been doing with your TRIUMPH today??

Discussion in 'Triumph General Discussion' started by flapinflares, Mar 7, 2013.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Mrs Visor

Mrs Visor Elite Member

Aug 21, 2021
    UK
    I have the Roadsmart IV SP on my Street Triple; I really like them. I also find them pretty confidence - inspiring in the wet. I currently have Bridgestones on my Fireblade, but am likely to get the Dunlops on that too.

• Like Like x 4
  2. Eldon

Eldon Elite Member

Nov 14, 2018
    North Yorkshire
    The conflict here created is the torque setting of a dry verses greased fitting.
    Naturally when a fitting/bolt is greased it will be tighter with grease on, even if torqued to the same setting, so the use of a torque wrench is something of dubious value.
    Personally I put plugs into alloy heads with a touch of grease, to minimise dissimilar metals corrosion, then nip by feel using a short grip on a ratchet.

Each to their own, but you using grease and a torque setting is of debatable value.

• Useful Useful x 1
  3. Boothman

Boothman Senior Member

Jul 26, 2023
    Wigan
    Interesting, so would you suggest the torque value in the manual is based on a dry plug (even though lubrication is the norm) and should be reduced to say 10 Nm, rather than the recommended 12 Nm value being based on a lubricated plug?

A question to triumph (in fact every manufacturer) maybe that applies to multiple fixings that are assembled with a lubrication applied as part of build up.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Eldon

Eldon Elite Member

Nov 14, 2018
    North Yorkshire
    Simple answer yes!
    I agree with what you wrote there.

Friction is the real issue here and lubrication is skewing any provided torque settings.

I had a similar discussion years ago with someone regarding car wheel bolts. I always put a very slight trace of grease on the thread, being careful to keep it off the conical seats as that's what locks the bolts/nuts. Torque applied to the bolts will now make them tighter than intended by the manufacturer but seeing as we are discussing steel bolts into steel threads then I don't see it being an issue.

Into alumuinium alloys i.e. spark plugs, it may be wise to back off the torque setting slightly as you suggest. ;)

• Useful Useful x 1
  5. Eldon

Eldon Elite Member

Nov 14, 2018
    North Yorkshire
    Dry versus lubricated threads.

@Boothman et al a quick Google search popped this up for info.

Screenshot_20230917_192649_Chrome.jpg

• Useful Useful x 1
  6. Boothman

Boothman Senior Member

Jul 26, 2023
    Wigan
    Makes a mockery of all manufacturers quoting torque values in their manuals for spark plugs, or any other dissimilar bolt/thread applications then.

I’ll not be rushing to strip the fairing, tank and airbox off to take the plugs out and wind back in to a lesser value :cool:

• Funny Funny x 1
  7. Eldon

Eldon Elite Member

Nov 14, 2018
    North Yorkshire
    #19647 Eldon, Sep 17, 2023
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2023
    Exactly, hence my initial comment here or to anyone unaware.
    I didn't want to come across argumentative or condescending so I'm glad you've taken my advice in the manner it was intended.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Boothman

Boothman Senior Member

Jul 26, 2023
    Wigan
    Not at all - I was very much unaware of this and have been doing home mechanicing on cars and bikes for over 40 years. In all that time I’ve never thought to question the torque setting of plugs in the manual being for a dry rather than lubricated fix.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  9. jackyma09

jackyma09 Member

Aug 10, 2023
    New York, USA
    It seemed like a productive day exploring with their bike. Unfortunately, the rain put a damper on things. Nonetheless, it's commendable that they made use of the opportunity to tend to their bike's maintenance. Let's hope for better weather soon so they can embark on an exciting ride and capture memorable moments to share.

10. Sandi T

Sandi T It's ride o'clock somewhere!
    Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    What a lovely overnight break, @Mrs Visor! I'm always so amazed at how just a short one night motorcycle outing can be such a boon to the soul. :blush: I enjoyed your report and the great photos, too. :heart_eyes: And, I'm with you, I'll opt for a cabin over a tent--particularly if it's going to be wet. However, I really can't use the wet part as an excuse, living as I do in the desert. I'd just take the cabin every time. :joy:

• Funny Funny x 4
  11. Eldon

Eldon Elite Member

Nov 14, 2018
    North Yorkshire
    Hey no right or wrong answer here, just do what ticks your box and enjoy whenever you can.

• Agree Agree x 3
  12. Boothman

Boothman Senior Member

Jul 26, 2023
    Wigan
    Neglected to mention in my post on Saturday that when I took the tank off there was a K&N sticker on the air box :triumph:. However, having already purchased the Triumph filter I proceeded to fit that and kept the K&N to one side.

Today I got the cleaning kit, vacuumed, washed, dried and oiled the filter. It’s now vac packed in a zip lock bag (to keep it fresh) and safely stored for going back in next service it’s due.

Note (IMHO) to others, if you fit such to your bike, better to put the sticker under the seat where it can be seen rather than on the air box :joy::joy:

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Sandi T

Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    Yesterday I spent the afternoon at my local Triumph dealership--Arizona Kawasaki--KTM--Triumph, know to Steve and me simply as "Triumph World". It was time for Speedy's "annual physical" as I call my service interval. I don't ride my Speed Triple RS enough to go by miles for service, so have it serviced once a year in the fall. My current mileage is 9,115 and I got the bike at the end of November in 2018. Not many miles but the "smiles per mile factor" has been off the charts! :grinning:

IMG_7425.jpeg

"Gonzo" (short for Speedy Gonzales) waiting for his turn in the shop. I did manage to nab a parking spot in the shade. Daytime temps here are still close to 100ºF.

IMG_7424.jpeg

I knew I'd be waiting awhile so asked Bruce, the one and only salesman at this dealership and a buddy of mine, if he would pop up some of his famous popcorn.

IMG_7431.jpeg

My "camping" spot for the afternoon
    IMG_7438.jpeg

AZ--KKT is quite a large dealership and it was packed with motorcycles today. The last time I was here the pickins were slim. Not so today!

IMG_7448.jpeg

IMG_7447.jpeg

IMG_7445.jpeg

The service manager came out after a couple of hours and said the bike was nearly ready and that it was the new software download that was taking so long. But...after about another hour :confused: Gonzo was good to go and my pocketbook was $350 lighter. :eek::scream::( The upside is that other than a recommended brake flush, I should be good for another year! :)

• Like Like x 11
  14. learningtofly

learningtofly He’s not the Messiah, he’s a very naughty boy!
    Subscriber

Sep 25, 2018
    Hertfordshire
    Those bloody software updates - you'd think the dealerships were on dial-up connections :mad:

• Funny Funny x 3
  15. Eldon

Eldon Elite Member

Nov 14, 2018
    North Yorkshire
    #19655 Eldon, Sep 24, 2023
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2023
    So went out with the wife for a potter through the country lanes staying reasonably close to home as the weather looked unsettled.
    Breakfast/lunch at Boroughbridge and with a window seat we noted a high volume of classic cars knocking about. One was a lovely looking red Hotrod, umm I wonder where that was going?

20230924_124908.jpg

Onwards via Thornton Bridge, aiming loosely for Terrington direction if you know it. At Bafferton the wife noticed a collection of interesting cars in a pub carpark, so a quick u turn and let's have a look.

20230924_130118.jpg

A chat with one of the drivers filled us in on the route remaing and the fact that they were doing a Distinguished Gentlemans Drive...... and so we joined the little convoy.

20230924_144145.jpg

20230924_144139.jpg

20230924_144154.jpg
    And here's a few more interesting cars in the vineyard carpark.

20230924_133129.jpg

20230924_133351.jpg

20230924_133526.jpg

20230924_133517.jpg

20230924_133640.jpg

We were invited to come in and have a glass of wine, or tea and coffee. When we walked in, the decoration definitely had a wow factor.

Picture limit reached :rolleyes:

• Like Like x 10
  16. Eldon

Eldon Elite Member

Nov 14, 2018
    North Yorkshire
    #19656 Eldon, Sep 24, 2023
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2023
    File limit reached above.... continuation of that post.

Screenshot_20230924_164844_Gallery.jpg

Hand painted by a local artist, Lynn Ward.
    Upstairs had a slightly different theme but equally impressive.
    Rain looking likely, the car park was now beginning to empty.

20230924_141655.jpg

However, how many times do you come out of somewhere and find x3 Jaguar E types parked next to your bike?

20230924_143849.jpg

20230924_143920.jpg

• Like Like x 10
  17. Eldon

Eldon Elite Member

Nov 14, 2018
    North Yorkshire
    #19657 Eldon, Sep 24, 2023
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2023
    Obviously, it would be rude to go to a Vineyard, drink coffee, then come away empty handed wouldn't it?

:cool:

20230924_154445.jpg

Plus, we discussed going on their volunteer days to provide some hands on support to them, especially with having a vine of our own at home despite not having a clue how to properly look after it.

https://www.dunesforde.com/

80 mile or so ride around, aimlessly wandering led into a very interesting day out.

• Like Like x 9
  18. Sandi T

Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    It looks like you and your wife had a very lovely and interesting day, @Eldon. Thanks for sharing your day's adventures with us. I really enjoyed your write up and the great photos. Thanks!

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  19. Eldon

Eldon Elite Member

Nov 14, 2018
    North Yorkshire
    #19659 Eldon, Sep 30, 2023
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2023
    This was yesterday, hopefully still acceptable for this thread title.

With the wife at work it was playtime for me and my mate although he was on "Afters" so we had to be back for dinnertime.
    A nice little run out through the lanes using Google maps and Calimoto was planned and we were off about 09.00.
    Today it was the 765's day out as I knew the pace would be a bit hotter than recently with the mate on his 675R.
    Jumping from the Street twin to the 765 is quite stark, the front brake seems really keen :rolleyes:, the engine has so many revs, twice as many in reality, although one 4th gear roundabout caught me out where the ST would have chugged it.

Breakfast at Terrington village store sounded like a good idea. Now I've passed this a few times and never called in, last time passed there were a few old British bikes outside so was worth a try.

20230929_104251.jpg

I asked my mate what he wanted as I ordered coffee and a bacon sandwich, he just said "make that two".
    The lady went into the back and came back apologising saying that they only had enough bacon for x2 slices per sandwich, which she thought was inadequate, so would we like a sausage in with it?
    How many shops do you get that service?

20230929_104210.jpg

The shop has a proper selection of homemade pies, pizza slices and cakes...... cakes :blush::yum

So, there was this egg custard sat on the counter eyeing me up and I thought, I'll have you before I'm done here :party:

20230929_103159.jpg

Naturally, and especially as this was the wifes last day for working Fridays, x3 day weeks from now on ;), I had to send her a pic of my pudding :cool:, no not that one, the egg custard :joy: whilst she was "enjoying" working :blush:.

A ride through the lanes, which were a bit of a blast, and back to mine for coffee ensuring we were on time for my mates work schedule.

A nice morning out and all done by 12.30.

All these people missing out on life by going to work, I just don't understand them :joy::joy::joy:
    What you need is a true work/life balance and not the rubbish HR spout.
    A three day working week and a four day weekend provides so much more :cool::party:

• Like Like x 6
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. RevPaul

RevPaul Senior Member

Apr 21, 2020
    Cheshire, UK
    If only. Sounds like a very satisfying morning's lack of work:). Ahhhh one day soon:weary_face:, I hope.

• Funny Funny x 3