What Would You Change On Your Triumph Motorcycle?

Discussion in 'Speed Triple' started by DANSOME, May 27, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. DANSOME

DANSOME Active Member

Nov 1, 2016
    E.U.
    So I have just completed my six-months-ownership-customer-survey from Triumph where they asked me: "What would you change on your Triumph Motorcycle". Well, I had already contemplated this before and this is what I would change on my 2016 Speed Triple R:
    1) One-finger start instead of clutch+startswitch
    2) Better turning circle at very low speed
    3) More engine power (+20hp would be nice)
    4) Brembo front AND rear
    5) Cruise Control
    6) Full LED headlight
    7) Color LCD dash with analogue RPM needle
    8) OAT indication on dash

Do you guys agree on any of this? What was/would be your answer to this question?

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. DANSOME

DANSOME Active Member

Nov 1, 2016
    E.U.
    Well, don't get me wrong. I'm super happy with mine too (apart from my squeaky rear brake). It's just that I've reached the point where the bike is not new anymore and I'm more familiar with it. Once or twice I found myself on a long highway-stretch thinking: what would I change to this bike that would make it even better? What would a new model have to have for me to consider swapping? And it's interesting that Triumph would include such a question on a costumer survey.

I created this post so we could compare ideas. For instance I don't find the seat that uncomfortable and I have ridden multi-day trips. But I do agree that there is an issue with the rear-end since I usually find a bit of debris seating between the rider and the pilion seats.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Uncorrugated

Uncorrugated Senior Member

May 25, 2017
    Northamptonshire
    I think the addition of a supercharger would be a nice change.... :p

• Like Like x 1
  4. darkman

darkman Crème de la Crème

Oct 26, 2015
    Southcoast of the UK Earth
    20 BHP would be nice and you would think a Brembo rear should be standard on the R:) None of the other things bother me.

5. tcbandituk

Subscriber

Apr 8, 2016
    Reading
    Cruise Control would be good, otherwise maybe higher bars, I've lifted mine 20mm and it makes it a lot more comfortable to ride.

6. Moe

Moe Senior Member

Jun 10, 2015
    Colchester
    Reduce wieght by about 20kg!!

• Like Like x 1
  7. Dougie D

Dougie D Crème de la Crème

Jan 30, 2016
    Blairgowrie Perthshire
    They should employ an Italian designer and get him to sort out the headlight surround! When it first came out I thought it looked hideous but they have grown on me since ive had mine, but still not totally bowled over with the look of the front fairing from a side view..would like to see a 1200 speed triple if not maybe 20/30 more bhp for the 1050 ..but overall I love the bike and I think if your on the heavy side like me the seat is great!

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. DANSOME

DANSOME Active Member

Nov 1, 2016
    E.U.
    I totally agree, the headlights could use a restyling hence converting it to full LED could be the perfect starting point. Something more Panigale'ish but definitely not like Yamaha's MT range which looks like Transformer's characters.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. thebiglad

thebiglad Old fart, still riding !

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    On my Tiger I would ideally like :

1. 30kgs less weight

and that would be it !!!

Yes I know, there could be a way to lose the 'combined' weight of rider and bike, but I like me chips too much :(o_O

• Like Like x 1
  10. Base

Base Member

Jan 12, 2017
    Uk
    I like me 2016 speed triple and it does everything very well and ticks alot of boxes for me, but having come from superbikes it just lacks that one thing for me ..............taking you to planet insanity in a blink of an eye :) if it had another 30 ponies it would be just the ticket for me. oh and cruise control never thought about that but that could be handy occasionally.

11. Angus

Angus Noble Member

Mar 19, 2017
    South Africa
    I'm very happy with mine, more power... yes that's always welcome and a hydraulic clutch! Ditch the cable!!

• Like Like x 1
  12. dilligaf

dilligaf Guest

Diet?:p

• Like Like x 2
  13. Moe

Moe Senior Member

Jun 10, 2015
    Colchester
    tried that...still got the belly!

• Funny Funny x 1
  14. jonesy

jonesy Active Member

Mar 26, 2016
    worcestershire
    Led lights and slightly more power mainly more torque and lighter wheels again. what's an oat indicator ?

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Moo

Moo New Member

May 20, 2017
    UK
    Headlights on my 2010 Speed Triple... they are the correct shape (oh yes they are!) but pretty crap for brightness!

16. MickEng

MickEng Noble Member

Sep 29, 2016
    West Yorkshire
    On my Bonnie EFI
    1) Suitable suspension back & front
    (Virtually everyone has to upgrade from rock hard suspension.)
    2) Rear brake caliper mounted sensibly on the top of the swinging arm as opposed to underneath where it catches all the shite.
    3) centre stand fitted as standard (instead of £170 OEM part)
    4) Secondary air intake optional for U.K. Bikes
    (Virtually everyone removes it and it would reduce the new cost price, maybe swap it for the centre stand)
    5) Sensibly sized or positioned silencers that do not need removing to undo/remove the rear wheel spindle.
    6) Don't particularly like the aesthetics of the single speedo.
    Either fit a rev counter as standard to balance it up or put the speedo in the middle with x2 warning lights on each side to balance it out.
    7) Ignition key would be better placed in the clock area instead of bouncing about on the headlamp bracket.
    (Work it in with no. 6 suggestion)

Still love my Bonnie though and I am working through the list.

17. muzhik

muzhik Member

May 9, 2016
    Maryland, USA
    - I'd love to see a speed triple factory edition with wire spoke wheels (at least until it's time to CLEAN said wheels):confused:

- Proper cornering ABS

- Less weight / more power, of course

- Re-style the headlight (LED) and move it closer in and lower (there's a reason the street triple bracket mod is so popular). Also attach it to the fork legs/triple clamps

18. Wasp

Wasp Well-Known Member

May 14, 2016
    Burnley NWUK
    Been watching this thread for quite a while, so had plants of time to think on this.

1. Tank capacity increased by 3 or 4 litres.

2. The front flyscreen should've been designed to at least LOOK like it fits on top of the lights. Not too difficult for the bottom of the screen to follow the line of the headlights, but it seems it was. Poor effort.

3. Gearbox quite 'agricultural' for a 2015 bike. Always thought so but magnified since I've had a ride on a mates rice burner.

That's it really, so they haven't done too badly.

Atb

Bob

• Like Like x 1
  19. crispey

crispey crispey creme de la creme

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    The rider!, slimmer, fitter and possibly better looking, tho that would be hard!:blush:

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. thebiglad

thebiglad Old fart, still riding !

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    #19 thebiglad, May 29, 2017
    Last edited: May 30, 2017
    Hi Bob, is that some reference to Doctor Who or Star Trek ?

:D:D:D:D

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  21. Woa Shamrock

Woa Shamrock New Member

Apr 24, 2017
    Norfolk England
    The one thing that bugs me is the heated grip button. Is my left thumb really that big???
    How about one of the integrated ones.
    And some fold down stabilisers for walking pace manoeuvres would be great

• Funny Funny x 1