What To Look Out For

Discussion in 'Speed Triple' started by Uncle Ben, Aug 10, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Uncle Ben

Uncle Ben Member

Aug 10, 2019
    Alberta, Canada
    Tomorrow i’m looking at picking up a 2016 speed triple r. The bike has less than 2000kms. Is there anything I should check, common problems or known issues I should look for? Thanks for any advice or help.

Coming from a 2017 Yamaha fz07, I hope i’ll be happy with the speed triple. Any recommended modifications or add ons? Thanks again!

• Useful Useful x 1
  2. Uncle Ben

Uncle Ben Member

Aug 10, 2019
    Alberta, Canada
    Well I bought the bike. It had 1,287 kms on the bike. It was a 2016, so i’m Not sure why it was ridden so little. It seems to run fine. The only concern I have is that the idle seems high when it first starts up.

What’s the regular idle on these bikes?
    At cold start and when warm.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. SteveRS

SteveRS First Class Member

Jan 12, 2019
    British Columbia
    Congrats on the bike. Sounds like a nice find. my 2019 idles around 1100 rpms when warm. Doesn’t seem to idle higher when first started. Maybe I’ll pay more attention to that on the next start up.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Uncle Ben

Uncle Ben Member

Aug 10, 2019
    Alberta, Canada

Yeah mine is right around 1100 rpm as well. It just feels a bit fast, I have to slip the clutch when going slowly in a parking lot.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. SteveRS

SteveRS First Class Member

Jan 12, 2019
    British Columbia
    Mine too. I just try not to go slow ;)

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  6. ccr32

ccr32 Well-Known Member

Mar 29, 2018
    London
    Around 2000 rpm is fine when it first starts from cold. It then settles to the 1100 rpm idle once it has warmed up a bit.

Congrats on the purchase! Great bikes - no significant issues to report from the last two years of ownership of mine. Only things I have noted is a weepy oil sump plug courtesy of the Triumph dealer not cleaning around the plug when changing the oil on its second service (which they subsequently sorted), and that sometimes she doesn't like to start when hot.

Also, by no means the bikes fault, I put a Lithium Ion battery on mine (ordered in error but figured I'd keep it) and they don't like the cold very much! Fine for the summer, though.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Uncle Ben

Uncle Ben Member

Aug 10, 2019
    Alberta, Canada
    I was thinking of getting a lithium ion battery for my bike as well. What battery did you use? Also, how cold does it have to be before you notice the battery being negatively affected?

• Useful Useful x 1
  8. joe mc donald

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    Uncle Ben.
    Welcome to the family. Do drop us all a picture of the steed. And stop looking for faults just ride the bike and enjoy.
    Regards & Ride Safe
    Joe.

• Like Like x 2