What to do ?

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by roadrider, Jan 15, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. roadrider

roadrider First Class Member

Jul 26, 2013
    Oxon
    Okay! serious head on for a bit :confused:
    As some of you know my wife bought a BMW R1200R in March.
    We were going for a ride in October when her bike wouldn't start,seemed like a flat battery.BMW breakdown came out and got it started but there was a 0.4 amp drain on the battery even when the bike was switched off(no alarm) So when it was left for a couple of weeks the battery wont have enough power to start the bike.
    It was taken to the dealers who traced the fault to a control unit in the headlight.They took one from another bike but it wouldn't work due to the computer,and! they've upgraded the part.
    So we were told that BMW will have to make a new part and send it to them.

So here's the rub! the bike has been sat at BMW since the 15th of October,yep! 3 months!! she phoned them yesterday but the regular spares man had gone home but the part was still on order,so no news.
    Out of 10 months ownership it's been off the road for 3 months.

Is this acceptable and what would you do next?

2. sox22

sox22 Member

May 31, 2016
    Hertforshire
    That's BMW for you, takes for ever......

• Like Like x 1
  3. roadrider

Jul 26, 2013
    Oxon
    She was going to raise a complaint yesterday but there phoning her tomorrow so she's going to wait until then/
    Just wanted some opinions,forearmed and all that.

I hope we get it sorted,she had me looking at Kawasaki's yesterday!!!!:eek::(

4. crispey

crispey crispey creme de la creme

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    That's terrible!! But I think ade says it all. Except the thing about getting a triumph, we'd never advise a woman to do anything she didn't want to. For health reasons!!

• Like Like x 2
  5. PompeyMark

PompeyMark Senior Member

Sep 12, 2016
    Portsmouth
    Not good enough, a massive company with a reputation, so moan your heads off, write to their Managing Director, tell them you will not be recommending them to your friends and family members because of the sh1t service you have and still are receiving. Is the bike on finance? If so contact the credit company and threaten to withhold payment until you are completely satisfied telling them about the shoddy service you are getting. Tell them you will be seeking compensation for the loss of your vehicle, put the bastards on Watchdog etc.

• Like Like x 1
  6. MickEng

MickEng Noble Member

Sep 29, 2016
    West Yorkshire
    If it was bought brand new you should be able to claim a full refund or a new replacement bike within the first 12 months.
    A friend of mine did that with a new Mercedes car he was constantly having problems with from new.

7. PompeyMark

PompeyMark Senior Member

Sep 12, 2016
    Portsmouth
    I would just continue to be a complete pain in the ass, I recall many years ago at a local Ford dealer a customer had received the most appalling treatment and in desperation walked up and down outside the dealership handing out leaflets outlining the treatment he had received to potential customers entering the dealership to the point where it got published in our local paper, guess what, surprise surprise, he had all the faults rectified and a letter of apology. The customer is always King and so it should be, as an adage without customers they would`t have a job, maybe you should remind them of this. 3 months is a complete piss take on a huge scale.

• Like Like x 2
  8. roadrider

Jul 26, 2013
    Oxon
    Thanks for all the feedback guys.Some good ammo there.
    We'll see whats said tomorrow and go from there.If we don't get a decent answer tomorrow then I'll be pushing for a replacement.
    I'm surprised that a huge multi national "premium" brand manufacturer can't supply a part for a less than 12 month old new model top of the range bike.

• Like Like x 2
  9. PompeyMark

PompeyMark Senior Member

Sep 12, 2016
    Portsmouth
    Roadrider that has to be your argument.

10. Sceptic Al

Sceptic Al Well-Known Member

Hi Chap. Sorry to read about the better half's woes. To echo PompeyMarks comment about a personal demo outside the dealers shop. A few years back a local chap had a beef about his NEW VW letting rain water in round the door seals. After the main dealers buggered around with it for a few months fitting new seals etc he threw his teddy into orbit and went to VW Uk. After they basically gave him the finger he went to Trading Standards AND the local press and also did a leaflet drop around the area, he then made a big placard and took his folding chair, sarnies and flask up to the dealership. Guess what, job done, they first tried to fob him off but with all the local bad press they offered him a replacement new car, which he declined, eventually he got a full refund and compensation. As far as I know he's never been back, even for fuel.

• Like Like x 1
  11. desertspeedy

desertspeedy Senior Member

Jul 28, 2016
    N. Phoenix, AZ, USA
    Can't help as I live across the pond and laws are different. We have the "Lemon Law" which allows for refund or replacement in your situation. Sounds like you have a similar law there. Use it to full effect.

A fun true tale - when I was in university I dated a crazy woman that owned a very well trained sheep dog named Bentley. Bentley would take a poo on her command as she was not one to waste time walking the beast. Our local Toyota dealer was jerking her around on a warranty issue so she took Bentley into the dealership and told the General Manager to make things right. He did not acknowledge her concern. Yup, you guessed it she had Bentley do his business on their carpet. She went back 4 days in a row and you can bet your butt the dealer made things right. It may have been the 2 sticks of butter she fed Bentley prior to the 4th visit but it was the charm.
    I hope you laughed mate and that your bride gets BMW to perform without having to go to the dogs.
    CHEERS,
    Chris

• Like Like x 3
  12. DreadySteve

DreadySteve Well-Known Member

Jul 3, 2016
    Bournemouth
    +1 what Ade said. Research the "Sale of Goods Act" You should be pretty well covered with the info contained in the act. Stand ya ground. If that fails throw them toys out of the pram!

Good luck

13. roadrider

Jul 26, 2013
    Oxon
    She's been in contact with the dealer today and has been told the parts will be delivered to BMW in Germany by the end of this month.Then shipped to the UK.
    So we have an estimated return date of the middle to the end of Feb.
    So we'll see what happens.
    The dealer manager is aware of the situation.
    They won't talk about recompense until the bike is fixed,but she said she won't accept the bike back unless she's happy with what's offered.

Watch this space :mad:

14. Havit

Havit Admin
    Staff Member Subscriber

Jul 17, 2015
    Kent
    Buy a Triumph :D:D:D:D

• Like Like x 2
  15. roadrider

Jul 26, 2013
    Oxon
    Lets just say that if things aren't resolved to BOTH our satisfaction then changes might be afoot ;)

• Like Like x 1
  16. foxy52

foxy52 Active Member

Jan 9, 2017
    Derbyshire
    Do BMW really deserve bad publicity? I had so many probs with my new GS1200 in 2004 that I traded it in for a 1050 Tiger (trouble-free).... which led to my lovely, also trouble-free Scrambler. I have to say,besides the breakdowns, it was a lovely bike to ride....

• Like Like x 1
  17. roadrider

Jul 26, 2013
    Oxon
    Fortunately? it has happened over the winter when it's normally parked up.
    Unfortunately,if BMW haven't got the part we're a bit stuffed.
    Hopefully it will all be resolved by the end of Feb

18. MickEng

MickEng Noble Member

Sep 29, 2016
    West Yorkshire
    Don't leave it past your 12 months purchase date.
    I would personally be claiming a full refund or a new replacement bike

19. thebiglad

thebiglad Old fart, still riding !

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    Hello there RR, this situation would be frustrating the hell out of me, even though it is winter !!!

Are you documenting things very carefully? Do you confirm discussions in writing - if you don't you are at their 'beck and call'. I would definitely be writing to the motorcycle manager at the dealers; the dealer Principal (Boss) and BMW Customer services with a a complete list of who said what, when, and what has happened subsequently. I would also be stating that "if the bike is not FULLY operational by 11th of February 2017 I will be refusing the bike and require a full refund."

I am suggesting the 11th because if the part is supposed to be available in Germany by the end of January it could easily be at your dealer by let's say the 2nd of Feb and as it's likely to be a quick swap-over of modules the workshop time will be negligible.

20. roadrider

Jul 26, 2013
    Oxon
    Dave,If it was my bike I'd be harassing the dealer every week.
    There have not been that many phone calls and they're mainly,there are no parts,we're waiting for them to be made,we'll let you know when we get them..
    As of today we're seeking more professional advice.
    Watch this space ;)

• Like Like x 1