What Should Be My First Bike?

Discussion in 'Triumph General Discussion' started by Jon15, May 24, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Jon15

Jon15 New Member

May 24, 2020
    Suffolk
    I’m looking for some help! I’m looking to buy my first bike, for Sunday fun riding, I will be solely for the road and I want something that makes me smile, looks and sounds great. I like the retro styled bikes: Scrambler, Street Twin, and Street Cup. Was hoping you could help me make my decision by telling me your first hand experience of riding these bikes. Many thanks J

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  2. johne

johne Standing on the shoulders of dwarves.

Jan 16, 2020
    Where the Wolds meet the sea
    Hi Jon, If its your very first bike, I'd get a second hand cheapy for a few months. Suzuki GSR600's are pretty good, my lad started on one. Then after you've got your eye in get the bike you really want, I can't give you any pointers on the bikes you've mentioned as my retro is the Thruxton but I'm sure others will chime in shortly with advice.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Jon15

Jon15 New Member

May 24, 2020
    Suffolk
    Happy to spend up to 8k.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. andypandy

andypandy Crème de la Crème

Jan 10, 2016
    Shaw
    If you're not working at the moment, now's the time to get as many test rides from dealers as you can. If you are working, still get as many test rides as you can on as many different bikes as you fancy.

• Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 4
  5. Judd Dredd

Judd Dredd Giver of Drugs, Vaccines and Hard Truths

Jan 13, 2019
    here and there
    Hi Jon,

Do you have much previous experience on two wheels growing up or you experience made up of a DAS course?

Judd

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. bob1

bob1 Noble Member

Mar 12, 2018
    Somerset
    first bike kawasaki ninja h2

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Repooh

Repooh Rarely Satisfied

Jan 5, 2018
    Stabby Town
    Easy

Street Twin, in black only, none of that matt paint stuff, decat it with a Motone xpipe, change stupid stock tyres to Conti Road Attack3’s black it out and you have the daddy of first bikes

easy to ride, forgiving, cool as fark super simple to mod yourself and heaps of aftermarket bits

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 3
  8. MadMrB

MadMrB Elite Member

Dec 24, 2018
    Northamptonshire, UK
    Hi Jon, you need to give us a bit more information, if you want informed opinion.

I got a Street Cup after not having ridden a bike for 17 years, and I found it an easy to ride, confidence inspiring and fun bike, but I imagine I would have found the Street Twin and Scrambler the same... so I'm no help then ;)

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Rspete

Rspete Elite Member

Jun 17, 2018
    Durham
    #9 Rspete, May 24, 2020
    Last edited: May 24, 2020
    The street scrambler is one of the best bikes I've rode, it's comfortable, smooth, the clutch is light, gear changes are lovely, it always gets attention from others, its great on fuel and probably one of the best looking bikes in the triumph range.
    A perfect first big bike but I do agree with the others in some respects but if you can afford it, fill ya boots.

***Edit***
    This was wor lasses first big bike after passing her test.
    Bought brand new.

IMG_20200405_114610.jpg

• Like Like x 9
  10. stinger

stinger Senior Member

Nov 28, 2017
    Yarnbrook
    As previous guys have said it depends on your previous experience. Are you returning (im guessing not), do you have off road experience but no test?
    As DD said, if you are new dont spend that much, dont buy brand new. There are a couple of reasons, the bike you want now might well not be the bike you want with a bit more experience and if you buy new you will lose a lot of money. Second reason, to be pragmatic, you will drop it. We all do, still do, just not so often. If you drop a brand new pride and joy you will be heartbroken. Once you've dropped a bike a couple of times the next time with another bike wont be so upsetting.
    Something remarkably un Triumph might suit the bill, i always think about it and nearly always end up recommending a Suzuki SV650 as a good starter bike, cheap as chips, fun, easy to work on if you want to get familiar with spannering. Also having an A licence doesnt preclude you from getting an A2 friendly bike to gain some experience, eg CB500 (similar qualities to the SV).
    Having said all that, its your money, your choice. From your list, i have ridden none of them but i would pick the scrambler on looks.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 3
  11. Helmut Visor

Helmut Visor Only dead fish go with the flow
    Subscriber

Oct 3, 2018
    Three Counties
    Feck it Jon, ignore all above and buy whatever you fancy :cool::cool:
    Enjoy it, play with it, adapt it, scrape it, and enjoy it again ;);)
    Yes you may make the odd mistake but as long as you're happy with that then get exactly what you want and have fun :p:p
    I have never bought a bike and worried about the resale value, only worried about how much fun I can have with it :D:D

• Agree Agree x 8
    • Like Like x 4
  12. MadMrB

MadMrB Elite Member

Dec 24, 2018
    Northamptonshire, UK
    Absolutely! ...what he said :p

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  13. Kenbro

Kenbro Noble Member

Jul 9, 2019
    Manchester, UK
    Why two threads on the same subject? :rolleyes:
    Ken.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Helmut Visor

Helmut Visor Only dead fish go with the flow
    Subscriber

Oct 3, 2018
    Three Counties
    Because one was an introduction and one was a Triumph question, no harm in that :rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 2
  15. MrOrange

MrOrange Guest

Whatever bike you buy, you'll bloody love it.

You'll also drop it, and maybe even have a wee accident. If we're all being honest, most of us made loads of mistakes when we first started riding, I know I did.

Spend £2k or £3k on an SV650 or similar. Fantastic engines, plenty fast enough to start, cheap to insure. That's what you want to get yourself started. Dropping an £8k bike would be expensive and heartbreaking.

Spend money on a decent set of textiles, gloves and a good fitting helmet.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 2
  16. MrOrange

MrOrange Guest

As a new rider, he'll be lucky to get a test ride on a new bike. Most dealers around here won't let you.
    I lied to the Harley dealer, said I'd been riding illegally for 10 years, and only just decided to get a licence:p
    Daft bugger believed me and let me out on a Fat Bob. :laughing:

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. dilligaf

dilligaf Guest

Here you go mate :)
    Ideal first bike :cool::p C1CFD0C9-F0F6-4F89-9683-329B54853206.jpeg

• Funny Funny x 12
    • Like Like x 5
  18. MadMrB

MadMrB Elite Member

Dec 24, 2018
    Northamptonshire, UK
    For some of the old codgers on here that probably has a whole other meaning :po_O

• Funny Funny x 10
    • Agree Agree x 4
  19. joe mc donald

Subscriber

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    Jon15
    Yes as some of the inmates have said here. Go test ride a few models. You will know when you have found your partner. Believe me it just feels right. The twins are pleasing and fast enough. The triples have a life all of their own and like me after a while you think they are trying to communicate with you. Life Dilligaf Has just shown you it is mind blowing and will blow you away but get a few years before you delve into beasties like that. It is very unforgiving and you need to know how to handle it as it will be the boss.
    Regards
    Joe.

• Like Like x 4
  20. Funnyfarm

Funnyfarm Active Member

Jan 3, 2020
    Hampshire
    Personally Jon I would not spend 8k on a first bike, I would spend up to 2-3k max have it for 6 -12 months then sell for pretty much the same money as you bought it for then upgrade to the bike you want. Just my opinion but entirely up to you mate.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1