What Lies Beneath...

Discussion in 'Builds & Projects' started by DCS222, Jun 2, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. DCS222

DCS222 Guest

So I've owned a few jap bikes, thought I'd try a Triumph 'cos I keep hearing how good they are... and I fancy a bit of tinkering. Found this pretty Legend on autotrader... test rode it because I've never ridden a cruiser before, and I really enjoyed it... nice engine and easy handling.... so I brought it home.

IMG_4780.PNG

FullSizeRender.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  2. DCS222

DCS222 Guest

So I was feeling all Fonzy like "Aaaayyyyy, got me a new bike!" And started wonder what to do with it? So I took the seat off to ponder on making a fast change single seat with luggage rails / normal dual seat jobby...

IMG_4790.JPG

IMG_4789.JPG

• Like Like x 1
  3. DCS222

DCS222 Guest

#3 DCS222, Jun 2, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 5, 2017
    First thing I noticed was that the bolt holding the left hand was real slack and a centralising washer was missing... then I noticed the left side panel was only on one stay peg??? Closer inspection revealed the second airbox was broken at the peg and the bottom screw slot... so I contacted World of Triumph and ordered a new box, along with a centre stand, 'cos I hate tensioning chains with only a kick stand.

IMG_4839.JPG

IMG_4840.JPG

• Like Like x 1
  4. DCS222

DCS222 Guest

Not massively impressed with some shoddy workmanship, I put it back together, gave it a wash and took my daughter a ride... when we got back, I noticed the touring screen front bolt and plate had come off on the ride (anyone got a spare? It's off a Givi screen)... so I ordered a smaller screen, as I liked the look anyway... I enjoyed a couple of days as a parachute, but was quite glad when then screen came... it did look nice without it though!

IMG_4810.JPG

IMG_4809.JPG

IMG_4816.JPG

IMG_4813.JPG

• Like Like x 3
  5. DCS222

DCS222 Guest

But hey... the kit arrived at the same time as the air box... and my old Suzuki got taken away to it new home in Ireland, so I had room in me garage to start some fettling.
    First, the exhausts need to come off for the centre stand to be fitted... of course 5 of the 6 nuts come off the exhaust bolts... one is corroded, so brings the stud with it!

IMG_4830.JPG

IMG_4832.JPG

IMG_4833.JPG

• Like Like x 1
  6. DCS222

DCS222 Guest

I secured it up on a jack... followed all the fitting instructions... few scraped knuckles and a ton of arsing about later (RTFMS) and I've got a new centre stand fitted! The problem is that the spring interferes with the new pivot bolt, dammit! So out with the bastard (file) and rounded off the bolt end so the spring slides over rather than hangs up!

IMG_4836.JPG

IMG_4842.JPG

IMG_4854.JPG

• Like Like x 1
  7. DCS222

DCS222 Guest

#7 DCS222, Jun 2, 2017
    Now to look at some of the knackerd stuff whilst the pipes are off... first, a look at the left hand seat retaining bolt. It'd been stripped, so wouldn't hold... drilled up and tapped to m8... will probably do the same to both and make up some extended handle bolts similar to the ones on eBay, but that's a job for another day.
    I then address the botched airbox... all side panels of this time, and to my disgust, the spanner wielding gorilla hasn't just f##ked the secondary air box, but the primary air filter box too... on both sides, the molded in brass screwthread have been overtightened, fracturing the plastic molding!!! I haven't ordered one of them, so employed a little build up to strengthen the thread holders and I'll swap it out when I have to change the air filter.

IMG_4846.JPG

IMG_4847.JPG

• Like Like x 1
  8. DCS222

DCS222 Guest

#8 DCS222, Jun 2, 2017
    Finally for the day, I look at the secondary airbox... it's fubar, and all the drain tubes are all over the shop.
    Anyway, I tided up the drain tube routing, the fuel tank vent tube would just have dripped onto the back of the engine, so I've extended that to join the other breather tubes. I'm wondering about whether or not the carb vent tubes should have filters on too?

IMG_4853.JPG

IMG_4850.JPG

IMG_4845.JPG

IMG_4848.JPG

• Like Like x 1
  9. DCS222

DCS222 Guest

I've come to the conclusion that I need a service manual for this, not seeing any alternative, I think I'm gonna have to spud out for a shop one... no ones got one for sale have they?

10. Gary_P

Gary_P Active Member

May 19, 2016
    North Yorkshire
    That is a really nice looking Legend you have there and thanks for the pics and details of what you have done to it.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  11. dilligaf

dilligaf Guest

IMG_0267.JPG You're doing a good job there mate :)
    If you had some sort of scissor lift/table type thingy I bet that would be a big help :rolleyes:
    It's still here if you want it mate if not I'll be wheeling it out for the scrap man to take away!
    Would rather it went to someone who could make use of it :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. MickEng

MickEng Noble Member

Sep 29, 2016
    West Yorkshire
    I cannot believe that has not been snapped up dilligaf.
    Put it on fleabay, it will go.
    Very generous of you by the way! :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  13. MickEng

MickEng Noble Member

Sep 29, 2016
    West Yorkshire
    At least you're getting it sorted mate.
    It's one reason why I don't like anyone touching my vehicles.

• Like Like x 1
  14. dilligaf

dilligaf Guest

View attachment 17338 You're doing a good job there mate :)
    If you had some sort of scissor lift/table type thingy I bet that would be a big help :rolleyes:
    It's still here if you want it mate if not I'll be wheeling it out for the scrap man to take away!
    Would rather it went to someone who could make use of it :)
    Yeah mate I thought it would be snapped up especially in here what with so many forum members doing maintenance and restorations etc:confused:
    It's FREE!!!
    Just want it out of the back garden
    Can't be arsed with fleabay and all that so if nobody on here wants it ,it's going to the big scrap yard in the sky :(
    It's FREE!!!.....FREE!!!! I say FREE!!!!!:p

• Like Like x 2
  15. DCS222

DCS222 Guest

If I was closer mate, I'd be straight on it... but it's a 5-6 hour round trip, and I can't get the time in the next 2 weeks. ☹️
    And yes, it would have been bloody useful

• Like Like x 1
  16. MickEng

MickEng Noble Member

Sep 29, 2016
    West Yorkshire
    Pay for a courier, £50ish
    Well worth it, you would be paying £1k for that new and maybe £250ish used.
    It is a 6 ton lift which is over the top for your bike, but better that way than t'other.

17. dilligaf

dilligaf Guest

Don't mind hanging on to it for a while if you want it mate but if not......scrap yard!!!!

18. Havit

Havit Admin
    Staff Member Subscriber

Jul 17, 2015
    Kent
    I might be interested in it

• Like Like x 1
  19. dilligaf

dilligaf Guest

For you mate it's double FREE!!
    Just want rid of it :)
    Anyone.....it's......FREE!!!!!