What Is Wrong...??

Discussion in 'Triumph General Discussion' started by robertorandalio, Feb 16, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. robertorandalio

robertorandalio New Member

Feb 3, 2017
    London
    Hello ALL,
    I am looking for a new bike, and have not ridden a Triumph since a Bonny in the 70's...I can NOT find what I am searching for....!!?? which is......
    A twin, with TWIN FRONT discs, with footpegs in the standard position, NOT mounted forwards. Twin silencers horizontally sweeping straight back..spoked wheels..preferably carb version, but injection is ok....am I missing something, as I cannot seem to find a Triumph simply built like this amongst so many models....??

2. StrippleMont

StrippleMont Senior Member

Nov 5, 2016
    Round your way!
  3. robertorandalio

Feb 3, 2017
    London
    ...! Thank you littleade...!! How long has this one been in production..? and WHY did they not build this model before ( like 4 decades ago )....????? and is there or has there been a smaller engined version with the same build....??

4. Rich Bryce

Rich Bryce Dead Eye Dick

Sep 18, 2015
    Bedford
    2016 launch. The T100 has same frame, 900cc engine, single front disc. Street Twin, Street Scrambler and Street Cup all share the same engine as the T100 but in lighter frames. The new Bobber Black has the 1200 engine and twin discs, as does the new Streetmaster. Click the link.
    http://www.triumphmotorcycles.co.uk/motorcycles/classics

5. robertorandalio

Feb 3, 2017
    London
    Yes, the 100 nearly fits the bill....what is the simplest option for upgrading one to twin discs....??

6. StrippleMont

Nov 5, 2016
    Round your way!
    Fit a Pretech six pot caliper. It will stop you just as well as twin disc setup.
    Twin discs will involve new forks capable of mounting twin calipers. A new front wheel with a hub that supports twin discs, twin hydraulic lines etc etc etc ......
    Just buy the T120......... it will be cheaper.
    Be lucky ;)

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. thebiglad

thebiglad Old fart, still riding !

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    Hi Robert, in terms of new bikes you won't find what you are looking for with carbs. Everything is injection nowadays.

8. steve lovatt

steve lovatt Something else

May 12, 2014
    North Yorkshire
    Single disc is adequate on the older 865cc Bonneville. Especially if you do a cheap upgrade to a 3 pot caliper from a Honda CBR 1000 or similar - they bolt straight on.

• Useful Useful x 1
  9. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    I completely agree. I think there is a lot of urban myth about the standard single disc set up being ‘inadequate’. I have never felt mine lacked stopping power and I have organic pads which lack bite but provide better feel. I have an alternative theory about limp wrists!

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  10. mpllineman

mpllineman First Class Member

Feb 12, 2018
    Pearl,Ms.
    I have read that a twin disc brake setup is strictly for stopping brake fade, not increased braking ability. I couldn't agree more!

11. StrippleMont

Nov 5, 2016
    Round your way!
    EURO 4 the killer of carbs:sob:

12. StrippleMont

Nov 5, 2016
    Round your way!
    Tend to disagree with that! Bonneville is a big old lump to stop:tired_face:
    The OEM fitment barely does it, a better 3 pot or Pretech 6 pot is the way to go.
    Once either is fitted you will wonder how you stopped safely without them!;)

13. StrippleMont

Nov 5, 2016
    Round your way!
    Two discs greater surface area = better braking performance!
    Does brake fade happen with modern pads?;)

14. mpllineman

mpllineman First Class Member

Feb 12, 2018
    Pearl,Ms.
    I was just repeating something I had read, years ago. There have certainly been many tech changes since. I do agree with the more surface area line of thought. But, as I am not after high performance, My scrambler stops just fine for me. I just picked up a 2006 model and love it to death. Ride safe brothers!

15. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    For my money the initial grab is offset by the greater unsprung weight penalty but the true limiting factor is front tyre adhesion.
    The simple fact of it (my opinion! :)) is that a sports bike on 17” alloys with sticky rubber and more sophisticated suspension can cope with braking forces that get a Bonnie badly out of shape. I have yet to encounter a real world situation when the brake alone has caused me heart flutter! I think the current vogue for twin discs on modern classics has more to do with ‘read across’ than because anyone ever thought a 74 Bonnie (admittedly lighter) was underbraked with its single Lockheed.
    I leave the final words to the late, lamented Kevin Ash from 2009 “The brakes have improved since the first model and now demand less of a squeeze of the lever. The feel is not bad and the single disc offers sufficient power. In fact, it’s an ideal set-up for many of the Bonnie’s potential riders.”

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Face Palm Face Palm x 1