Welcome to The Triumph Forum

The World's busiest Triumph Forum. Join this amazing group of people and start discussing the thing that we all love, Triumph Motorcycles.

Featured What Interesting Bike Photos Have You Got Lurking On An Old Mobile Phone Or Memory Card Etc?

Discussion in 'Other Bikes' started by Dozers Dad, Mar 23, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Dozers Dad

Dozers Dad Bushmills Chief Quality Controller
    Subscriber

Hi Folks,

Just unearthed this from a very old mobile phone.
    I had this 1996 Honda VFR750 longer than any bike I'd owned before or since. It truly was the Swiss Army Knife of bikes :grinning:
    DSC01426.JPG
    The massive Tasmanian Devil was something I picked up in a charity shop. I donated it to a charity raffle to raise money for NABD (I think?)
    The 95/96 VW Vento (a Golf with a boot) in the background was my first ever diesel car.
    All in all a very pleasant little trip down memory lane :)

• Like Like x 6
  2. Hamburg

Hamburg Senior Member
    Subscriber

Dec 12, 2018
    Oxford, UK
    My old 600 supersport, taken about 10 years ago

[​IMG]

Crap bike, underpowered, shit brakes and handling, but lovely looking.

• Like Like x 4
  3. Cyborgbot

Cyborgbot Senior Member

Jul 5, 2017
    Surrey
    #3 Cyborgbot, Mar 23, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2019
    132.JPG
    I dreamed of a VFR750 - my first bike was a VT250F - an awesome little number and able to keep up with all the ‘Tuned’ RDs that were so popular in the day. Having twice the cylinders and three times the capacity would have been sweet!

Must say though DD that your 1996 mobile phone was pretty amazing to get such a good image...

I’ve a Polaroid of my VT after a nasty RTA. Shall try to dig it out, along with one of my leg with external fixators holding it together.

Edit: added a picture of the v-twin water cooled, hydrolic clutch and electric fan machine. Mine looked just like that until someone did a DSUM (didn’t see u m8)...

• Like Like x 4
  4. Dozers Dad

Subscriber

#4 Dozers Dad, Mar 23, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2019
    At a guess, that photo was taken around 2004 mate.
    I bought the Vento as a stopgap car after my 2002 Mazda (purchased new) was written off whilst it was parked up! :confused:
    I kept the Vento for about 3yrs. It was that good & did 50+mpg on a run. That was totally uncharted territory after large petrol engined sporty cars :)

• Like Like x 3
  5. Dozers Dad

Subscriber

The Vento bonnet after a £15 makeover...
    DSC01607-1_resized.jpg
    I paid £525 for the car as a run-around whilst the insurance decided what they were doing about my Mazda?
    It did the job & got me around but it wasn't pretty.
    I'd often refer to is as "The Shed"
    My Mrs pointed out that it did exactly the same job as any other car I'd owned & I was being unkind to call it a shed.
    So for a giggle, some gold vinyl was purchased from Fleabay. A few hours with a craft knife later "Super Shed" was born! :grinning:

The "Viper" stripes ran from the front to back. I used an old paint can to cut around the VW badge on the boot. Salvaged a twin outlet boy racer Magnex exhaust back box my mates lad was throwing away. Cut the chrome pipes off & skilfully grafted (bodged) them onto Super Shed :)

The vast majority of people got the joke but I did get asked why the f#ck I'd wasted my time/money on it? :rolleyes:

I only expected to have it for a couple of months but it was so good at everything I kept it for years. We went to Scotland on holiday in it & France/Belgium on booze cruises & it never missed a beat! :grinning:

After 3yrs ish I sold it to a young lad who was really into his VW's. A few months later I got a drunken phone call from "Run To The Sun" (a VW festival/meet up in Cornwall)
    Apparently Super Shed was a star attraction on the camp site? :joy:

• Like Like x 8
  6. Eldon

Eldon Senior Member

Nov 14, 2018
    North Yorkshire
    Great story DD :p

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Cheers Cheers x 1
  7. Tricky-Dicky

Tricky-Dicky Senior Member

Dec 12, 2016
    Norfolk UK
    My old Harley 45 from back in the 70s makes me feel old.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 6
  8. Bad Billy

Bad Billy Baddest Member
    Subscriber

Jun 1, 2017
    Southern Softyville
    My Street 675R, bought it to slow down after years of riding litre engine sports bike and super nakeds, did it work? o_O
    Nah! :grinning:
    What a load of fun it was, first bike I rode with a quick shifter ... awesome!
    Went scratching, commuted for a while and went touring in France on it, dealt with everything with ease, gets my vote for the best bike Triumph have made to date (and I had the 765RS afterwards), picture still on my phone now such is the esteem I hold this little beauty in. :cool::cool::cool:
    IMG_2172.JPG

• Like Like x 7
  9. Eldon

Eldon Senior Member

Nov 14, 2018
    North Yorkshire
    My mate has a 59 plate and loves it to bits. He's had it 5 years and doesn't usually keep anything long at all.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Bad Billy

Bad Billy Baddest Member
    Subscriber

Jun 1, 2017
    Southern Softyville
    First ride I did with my sports bike riding mates was hilarious, we stopped for a cuppa, and one of them did a double take as he walked past as he saw the 675 badge, he couldn't believe it wasn't a 1050, I told him it's how ya use it! :joy:

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  11. andyc1

andyc1 Lunarville 7, Airlock 3
    Subscriber

Feb 4, 2017
    N. Ireland
    I had a 2013 one, most fun and most missed bike I ever owned to date.
    tapatalk_1529431733821.jpeg
    After a recent ride on a 765rs though, I'd say that is easily the best bike Triumph currently make. Stunning machine sold in pure dung colour choices :mad:I really want one but not ready to chop in the thruxton and not giving up the superduke either

• Like Like x 3
  12. Hamburg

Hamburg Senior Member
    Subscriber

Dec 12, 2018
    Oxford, UK
    Luckily I still have one!

[​IMG]

Best bike I’ve ever owned

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. Eldon

Eldon Senior Member

Nov 14, 2018
    North Yorkshire
    My mate decided to take on a Hayabusa over IOM mountain. I was on the Honda and it just didn't feel right so let them go.
    The Hayabusa didn't get away from him

• Like Like x 2
  14. davegsx

davegsx Member

Feb 22, 2019
    London
    To different bikes , both have good memories attached to them.

9968_619728438053076_1999873287_n.jpg

31105_125630800796178_1931502_n.jpg

• Like Like x 6
  15. Bad Billy

Bad Billy Baddest Member
    Subscriber

Jun 1, 2017
    Southern Softyville
    I'd say £ for £ the 675R is the better bike, however the 765RS did move the game on, made slight improvements every where, does it need the electronic rider aids ... probably not, I think the 675 felt a little more raw and all the better for it!

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. Eldon

Eldon Senior Member

Nov 14, 2018
    North Yorkshire
    Owning a 765 and having ridden three different 675s I'd agree on most points especially the rawness but that's why I'd pick the 765 every time. It's just that bit better/ nicer in every way especially in terms of refinement and vibration.

17. Bad Billy

Bad Billy Baddest Member
    Subscriber

Jun 1, 2017
    Southern Softyville
    Just wish I could stuff that 675 motor into the Bandit .... I know it cheating but I'd be giving up a cylinder!

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  18. The ST

The ST Member

Dec 10, 2018
    West Midlands UK
    My ZX9r in 2008 :(

01-07-08_1724.jpg

19. Cyborgbot

Cyborgbot Senior Member

Jul 5, 2017
    Surrey
  20. The ST

The ST Member

Dec 10, 2018
    West Midlands UK
    Shunt in the rear at a roundabout. The guy in the red van thought I'd ridden away as he was looking at on coming traffic. Only had a cricked ankle. The bike was rideable but was later wrote off by insurance co.