What Have You Being Doing With Your Non-triumph Today?

Discussion in 'Triumph General Discussion' started by MrOrange, Sep 16, 2019.

1. Eldon

Eldon Elite Member

Nov 14, 2018
    North Yorkshire
    I bet you're thankful for traction control on such a beast at this time of year?

Wife phoned up when she was out in the newest car (handsfree) and said "you know that bend you don't like near the redundant old folks home?"
    "Yes!": unamused:
    "Oh it's really slippy there tonight in the dark and I lost the car!"
    :eek::poop:
    "Err which field are you in?"
    Trying to make light of the situation :joy:
    "Oh no I managed to keep it on the tarmac but wonder if it needs new tyres?"
    ":eek: eerr NO as the car has only covered 10k miles I think you need to slow down and be more mindful of field entrances!!!!

Jeesuz :scream:

• Funny Funny x 7
    • Like Like x 1
    • Face Palm Face Palm x 1
  2. andyc1

andyc1 Lunarville 7, Airlock 3

Feb 4, 2017
    N. Ireland
    Yes the TC got activated a few times, had it turned up quite high. In fairness though it's a docile beast when you want it to be, it's the operator that has heavy hands :D

That reminds me of the lad phoning his boss...
    Boss, the van needs a new wing mirror, aye the rest of the van is laying on top of it :joy:
    I've noticed a bit of a trend with new cars, the tyres are getting narrower again which is a good thing I reckon. Less rolling resistance, less road noise, less strain on wheel bearings, cheaper, and much better grip in snow.

• Like Like x 4
  3. Eldon

Eldon Elite Member

Nov 14, 2018
    North Yorkshire
    We went through the same bend yesterday in daylight, wife driving.
    The field on the outside of the bend had been ploughed/seeded and I counted no less than x5, yes five, entry exit points through the hedge over a 250m stretch. The road was encrusted with mud so any moisture, condensation etc had potential to turn it into an ice rink.
    To be fair to the farmer, or someone, a slippy road sign had been placed on the grass verge but as the country lane is unlit and a 60 limit then it would be too little too late.

Drive/ride safe out there and knock it back a bit to acclimatise for the onset of dubious road conditions ;)

• Agree Agree x 4
  4. Sandi T

Sandi T It's ride o'clock somewhere!
    Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    So it sounds like your wife did pretty well by keeping that new car on the tarmac and out of the field after all, eh, @Eldon? ;):joy:

• Funny Funny x 2
  5. Eldon

Eldon Elite Member

Nov 14, 2018
    North Yorkshire
    #2805 Eldon, Nov 14, 2023
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2023
    I aren't going to tell her that :joy: who's side you on? :joy:

Maybe she did in fairness ;) but then an awkward corner in the dark deserves more caution, especially as she already knows my thoughts on it. Additionally it is blind, due to the old folks home wall jutting out, and there's a very minor junction on it that goes nowhere so no-one ever uses it..... except that once :dizzy:

• Funny Funny x 1
  6. littleade

littleade The only sane one here
    Subscriber

Mar 17, 2015
    Worcestershire
    I think there's a requirement on farmers and builders to clear the road up where they've made a mess, just putting a sign out probablybwon't relieve them of their responsibilities, especially if it's a cyclist or biker that comes to grief. There's a new building site on my way to batting central and I've seen the roadsweeper there a couple if times now cleaning the mud off the road. This could of course be because a Councillor lives near by.......

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Pegscraper

Pegscraper Elite Member

Jun 12, 2020
    Yorkshire
    #2807 Pegscraper, Nov 14, 2023
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2023
    Really? I thought they got a gov subsidy for spreading sh*t on the roads.

• Funny Funny x 5
  8. littleade

littleade The only sane one here
    Subscriber

Mar 17, 2015
    Worcestershire
    They probably get that as well :dizzy:

9. johne

johne Standing on the shoulders of dwarves.

Jan 16, 2020
    Where the Wolds meet the sea
    Its been a lovely clear bright day here today, so all the bikes including the STRS, were rolled out of the garage and run up to temp. I know there are various conflicting views on starting up your bike(s) for shortish periods when off the road during the winter months, but its something I've done for years. The Tuono hadn't been started since mid October, but after a cough and a spit, it fired up nicely and settled down to a fast idle quite quickly. I'm not too worried about the fuel injected bikes, but I do give the NS400 a bit more attention and it usually gets a trip up and down a (private) road to blow away the cobwebs. That should be it now until the New Year, they all benefit from being on smart chargers in the garage and I blow all the tyres up about 10% higher than the recommended riding specs. They are all filled up with 99 octane and a bit of fuel stabiliser so roll on the 2024 riding season.

• Like Like x 4
    • Funny Funny x 1
  10. Boothman

Boothman Senior Member

Jul 26, 2023
    Wigan
    NS400, always loved them - even if it was only for looking at and smelling :laughing:. Unfortunately they were physically a bit too small for my 6’ 3” frame.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Pegscraper

Pegscraper Elite Member

Jun 12, 2020
    Yorkshire

The 80's was the golden era of 2 strokes IMO, NS400, RD350/500LC, RG500, RGV250, KR1S and others I've forgotten no doubt but I also found them all a bit cramped. The RGV especially, felt like a heavy bicycle compared to my GPZ1000! There's just something about the sound of a well tuned 2 stroke on the pipe that sets them apart, the smell is just a bonus. An acoustic nasal feast.:grinning:

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. johne

johne Standing on the shoulders of dwarves.

Jan 16, 2020
    Where the Wolds meet the sea
    I love the NS, its 100% fun. I can't see myself parting with it, ever (well my son will probably inherit it when I can no longer dodge the coffin). I'm only 5'7" so it's small dimensions suit me well. 50 miles in a stretch is about all I feel comfortable doing these days, with its clip on bars and the head down arse up riding position, but that's fine by me.

• Like Like x 4
  13. Marco Wikstrom

Sep 28, 2023
    Albuquerque, New Mexico
    #2813 Marco Wikstrom, Dec 9, 2023
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2023
    Washed the DRZ400 (the second time since I've owned it - it's a 2016), then ordered a set of Leatt knee braces and a tool roll.

Getting ready to do some more dual-sport riding starting in Big Bend National Park in February, then at some point riding the New Mexico BDR again. A few years ago I was in the middle of that BDR and crashed out, breaking some ribs, injuring my thumb, and damaging the bike (smectite mud is evil). Rode 60 miles back to civilization in that condition over some rough gravel and dirt tracks. Hopefully no repeat of that. I've since ridden most of the rest of it, but want to complete it again start to finish.

[​IMG]DRZ by Marco Wikstrom, on Flickr

• Like Like x 10
  14. Eldon

Eldon Elite Member

Nov 14, 2018
    North Yorkshire
    That sounds a great interesting ride with plenty of challenges along the way, and yes you had an unfortunate off, but once its in your blood, offroad riding gets you doesn't it?
    I've been off lots of times over the years, concussion, broken ribs, broken index finger, snapped ACL, AC separation etc..... but still love it although I do realise I don't bounce as well in my more mature " sensible" years as I used to.

I quite fancy getting a CRF450 for doing similar things although in the UK we haven't got the access and opportunities you have.

Enjoy!

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  15. Pegscraper

Pegscraper Elite Member

Jun 12, 2020
    Yorkshire
    Living on the doorstep of the Peak District I have access to numerous "off road" tracks and green lanes but nothing of the length and duration available to riders across the pond, plus there's the NIMBYS to contend with every time you venture out these days!:mad: The FE570 is an absolute blast off the tarmac but if I had the opportunity of some really long haul dual sport riding I'd probably get something a bit more comfortable.:)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. Marco Wikstrom

Sep 28, 2023
    Albuquerque, New Mexico
    I'm in the same boat in terms of not being able to bounce back as fast after an injury. Hopefully we become wiser as we age.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. Eldon

Eldon Elite Member

Nov 14, 2018
    North Yorkshire
    You having a laugh....... I've less to lose ( in years) now than ever so more crackers than ever :joy:

• Funny Funny x 2
  18. Marco Wikstrom

Sep 28, 2023
    Albuquerque, New Mexico
    Ordered a set of Warp 9 17-inch super moto wheels for the DRZ400s. Should be fun on the tight mountain roads around here, as well as the race track. Our track is short and has a lot of really tight curves.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Markus

Markus Crème de la Crème
    Subscriber

Oct 28, 2020
    AUSTRIA
    After 6 weeks with ice and snow on the streets in my area I did a "cool" ride to my office today. +1 degree celsius with dry conditions in the morning and about 8-9 in the late afternoon are forecasted. The morning ride was great.

• Like Like x 5
  20. Marco Wikstrom

Sep 28, 2023
    Albuquerque, New Mexico
    Moved the old 900ss to my other house to make it easier to sell. Selling to finance a set of supermoto wheels for the DRZ and a trip to Papua New Guinea next year.

[​IMG]Ducati by Marco Wikstrom, on Flickr

• Like Like x 5