What Have I Started

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Judd Dredd, Sep 22, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Judd Dredd

Judd Dredd Giver of Drugs, Vaccines and Hard Truths

Jan 13, 2019
    here and there
    #1 Judd Dredd, Sep 22, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2021

IMG_3685.jpg

• Like Like x 22
  2. Octoberon

Octoberon Crème de la Crème

Jul 2, 2020
    Peak District, Yorkshire
    This is excellent news. :D

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Funny Funny x 1
  3. Thripster

Thripster Elite Member

Feb 21, 2020
    Northampton, UK
    I'd be asking myself 'How mature is he' - does he know not to get angry, will he speed in front of his mates etc etc. The room and tolerance for making mistakes is a lot less than it used to be. On the other hand when will they learn - how will they learn. Don't want to wrap them in cotton wool. A difficult riddle to solve - damned if you do, damned if you don't.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 2
  4. Octoberon

Octoberon Crème de la Crème

Jul 2, 2020
    Peak District, Yorkshire
    That's teenagers in general though. All we can do is prepare them the best we can. The rest is up to them to learn through (hopefully not too harsh) experience.

• Agree Agree x 6
  5. dilligaf

dilligaf Guest

How do you feel about it :confused:
    My son shows no interest at all about riding bikes although he loves MotoGP:)
    I couldn’t argue against it if he wanted to ride as I’ve always had bikes all of his life :confused:

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 2
  6. Old dumb arse

Old dumb arse Noble Member

Mar 28, 2020
    KS
    Dirt bikes are a great learning tool. I started when I was ten.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 4
  7. JtC

JtC Elite Member

Apr 20, 2020
    New Mexico
    I think you have started a very good thing. I agree with ODA -start him on a DP bike so he can get some off-road riding in. It's a great way to learn about riding.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  8. Judd Dredd

Jan 13, 2019
    here and there
    #8 Judd Dredd, Sep 22, 2020

• Like Like x 3
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  9. Thripster

Thripster Elite Member

Feb 21, 2020
    Northampton, UK
    Not saying he shouldn't..........I just remember how impulsive I was at that age. And how many twats that are texting at the wheel these days. Probably offset by less drink driving but it makes you think when it is your own flesh and blood. I've got fourteen year old twin boys and would have to give it a great deal of thought when it comes to it........................

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  10. Sandi T

Sandi T It's ride o'clock somewhere!
    Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    I just saw this thread, @Judd Dredd. You have started something and I'd say you started something good! :grinning:And, hey, what did you expect by riding two up with him? ;):joy: I love that he said he wants you to help him buy it for his birthday implying that he will pay part. He sounds like a responsible young man already. Dad's influence?? :) And just remember this...........

Screen Shot 2020-09-27 at 9.26.58 PM.png

• Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Cheers Cheers x 1
  11. b12ady

b12ady Member

Jan 19, 2016
    s.yorkshire
    i would not let him have a 50 at 16,1 would let him have a 125 at 17,i think 50`s are a liability on the roads to other road users and to the riders themselves

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Steve 998cc

Steve 998cc Well-Known Member

Feb 1, 2019
    leicestershire
    Biggest liabilty to riders of any cc bike is the idiots that drive GERMAN CARS

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  13. Ducatitotriumph

Ducatitotriumph Crème de la Crème

Apr 25, 2019
    Rothwell
    #13 Ducatitotriumph, Sep 28, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2020
    £39.99 isn't too bad for a chinese import tbh.
    I'd have upgraded it to twin front disks for £43.99 though.
    I presume thats with a full tank of fuel and the first 500 mile service (if it makes it..) also?????? ;););):):):)

Seriously , great news!!

• Funny Funny x 7
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. Judd Dredd

Jan 13, 2019
    here and there
    #14 Judd Dredd, Sep 28, 2020

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Agree Agree x 2
  15. Judd Dredd

Jan 13, 2019
    here and there
    #15 Judd Dredd, Sep 28, 2020

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. dilligaf

dilligaf Guest

Well :eek:.....there you go then :p

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  17. Steve 998cc

Feb 1, 2019
    leicestershire
    Beat me to it dilligaf

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. Bad Billy

Bad Billy Baddest Member

Jun 1, 2017
    Southern Softyville
    It is a dilemma mate, my Son always loved bikes & was on the back of mine as soon as he was big enough to reach the pegs. :)
    When he was about 11 I bought him a TY80 trials bike taught him to use the clutch & gears & after a while took him to some schoolboy trials meetings. He had a go but never really was totally at ease doing competition trials, kept the bike a year or so & then moved it on.

Fast forward to when he was 16, we lived in a village & he went to college in the Winchester which was 8 or 9 miles away, so he needed transport, so we got him a twist & go scooter. He got knocked off that twice in a year by impatient & bike blind car drivers, luckily he wasn't badly injured & it didn't put him off bikes :(. At 17 I bought him an old CB 125, took him to an industrial estate over a couple of days to refresh him on a geared bike, he bloody loved that little bike, it never let him down and it had just enough speed to keep him out of trouble on his daily commute, it also cemented his love for bikes. :cool:
    He passed his test a few months later, he wanted a restricted 600 as first big bike but I said no, instead steered him to a DR400 Suzuki, took him off road riding as well as tarmac, he got a good sense of throttle control and what happens when there is a loss of traction. He moved onto an SV650 once he was allowed the extra power, went to Germany with me and my mates on that, all this time I had been coaching him on how to ride safely but make progress & after a year on that he moved up to a Gixxer 750. He ended up being a very competent rider, did trips to France & down to the Alps with my mates, they all joked that they could tell he was my nipper by the way he rode! o_O
    Eventually he sold the Gixxer to fund a year long trip to Australia, whilst I enjoyed the times we had spent riding together there was a hint of relief when I didn't have to worry about him coming off any more. That was more than 10 years ago now & marriage & the usual associated expense of setting up home etc means that he can't afford to run a bike as well as a car. :pensive:

Sorry mate, that went on a bit, but your original post made me all nostalgic about that experience with my own nipper! :p

• Like Like x 8
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. Steve 998cc

Feb 1, 2019
    leicestershire
    Both my sons have took after me both been riding since they were 17 both in there thirties now eldest a bit of a nutter on a bike wonder where he got that from youngest quick but doesn't push the limits and yes i still worry when there out on the bikes now i know how my parents felt with this nutter out on his bikes what goes around comes around how true that saying is.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. Judd Dredd

Jan 13, 2019
    here and there
    #20 Judd Dredd, Sep 29, 2020

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1