What First Got You Into Motorcycling?

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by johne, Jun 29, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. fljab

fljab Member

Jun 13, 2020
    Mims, Florida, USA
    In '64 we moved to Michigan and my 2 older brothers each got new Hondas - I was 9 at the time. My next oldest got a step through 50, and oldest got a Dream 150. My next oldest wouldn't let me ride the 50, but oldest said no problem with the 150. I couldn't really get my feet on the ground and the tanks on the Dream had a welded seam that ran down the middle. I remember that because I had to move up some from the seat to get to the controls and that bit into, um, my little nuts some.

We lived on 240 acres out in the country, very rural area of southern Michigan. My brother tells the story that I got on the bike (the Dream 150) and took off. I didn't know how to turn it around so went out on the road and basically did a multi mile loop that included the bigger state highway. Our mother came out and asked where I was and they hemmed and hawed not wanting to say, but I came back in a few and all was OK.

My older brothers didn't really "take" to motorcycling, but I was hooked from that day on to today. I'm now 65, have a garage full of bikes and still ride locally and long distance as much as i can. My first Triumph was a hand me down from my next older brother and was a '67 Mountain Cub 200. A hell of a beast to me at that time and way more power than the little Hondas.

My garage includes HDs, Yamaha FJR, Triumph Tiger 800, and soon a Honda Super Cub 125. I love 'em all. I'll probably add a T120 or similar Bonneville in the future. I had a '78 Bonneville back in the day. My worst fear with old age is getting to the point where I can't ride. I don't know when that will be but it sure as heck isn't now!

• Like Like x 6
  2. London_Day_600

Jul 7, 2019
    LONDON
    For me it was getting fed up of the daily grind (and cost) of London's transport system. I was somewhat anti-motorbike due to parental 'teachings' but decided to give it a go....o_O

I got myself a stolen/recovered Suzuki Katana 50cc moped and after a somewhat nightmarish process of getting it back to 100% and talking (defying) mother round I was on the road...!!!
    And LOVED IT!!!! No more hussle & bussle of the tube but the freedom of Central London's roads in the early 2000's.

From there I moved onto 125cc got my full license then 400/180/600cc and got my eye on some nice shiny models for the near future.... :heart_eyes:

• Like Like x 7
  3. Sandi T

Sandi T It's ride o'clock somewhere!
    Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    What nice shiny models do you have your eye on, @London_Day_600??

• Like Like x 1
  4. London_Day_600

Jul 7, 2019
    LONDON
    Here's a little teaser of the possible candidates.....

upload_2020-7-6_15-48-59.png

:)

• Like Like x 5
  5. Sandi T

Sandi T It's ride o'clock somewhere!
    Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    Street Triple RS in the middle? I've no idea on the other two.

• Like Like x 2
  6. London_Day_600

Jul 7, 2019
    LONDON
    CORRECT......:party:

Anyone else want to have a guess?

• Like Like x 1
  7. Schuey

Schuey Senior Member

Mar 3, 2020
    Midlands
    Panigale on the left and the new S1000RR on the right, one of which I have. :cool:

• Like Like x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  8. joe mc donald

Subscriber

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    Me it was my Dad. He used to give us all the bikes he didn't want to sell. But the one thing that stuck in the memory was he and I went to look at a 650 AJS. It needed bump starting. Now I was somewhere between 10 and 12 at the time. Dad said Joe if I bump you on this bike can you take it home and straight home don't stop or reroute. The elderly gent remonstrated with Dad claiming you can't get that youngster to ride that machine he's not capable of it. Dad said watch and bumped the bike me on board and of I flew on it straight home about five miles. The old gent talked about it till he died some years later. Every one knew I was a biker. And really at the time I was a real rebel looking for a cause. Not many people would have liked me back then never picked on anyone but never walked away either. Even at school I would support the weaker pupils against the bullies. Not because i liked them just because I hated bullies and I knew I could beat them or go down fighting but they never came back and gave me a wide birth. You wouldn't know it now i am a push over and a big softie.
    Regards
    Joe.

• Like Like x 10
    • Love You Love You x 2
  9. London_Day_600

Jul 7, 2019
    LONDON
    YAY..:party: YAY..:party: YAY..:party:

• Like Like x 4
  10. Peter B

Peter B Active Member

May 24, 2020
    West Yorkshire
    Helped a friend rebuild a BSA Gold Star when we were in the 6th form.
    When I started work needed transport for the 20 miles to work, so a Kawa Z200 was aquired.
    Had bikes on (and off) ever since.
    Even persuaded SWMBO to tour round France on a Z750.
    Currently have a very nice Sprint GT.

• Like Like x 6
  11. Tim L

Tim L Active Member

Jun 9, 2016
    Norn Iron
    My dad had a big gold coloured Honda Dream. When I was five, my wee sister went missing and my dad chucked me on the back of the bike to go looking for her (found safe and sound). Two of my brothers and I had a C90 'jump-through' in the fields a few years later. Fisrt time out - up the lane, turned round, back down the lane until it split round a bush - I went straight over and landed in a heap! On top of a brother!
    My first road bike was built from two CB100s over a few weeks, but got stolen & burnt 3 days after it went on the road officially!

• Like Like x 11
  12. Bikedad57

Bikedad57 New Member

Jun 14, 2020
    Columbia, SC
    Well, it all started with a Rupp minibike, then a Harley M65, then a Sachs 50cc, then a Suzuki 125, then a Montessa 250, then a borrowed Honda Elsinore 125, then a borrowed Yamaha 1100 street bike, then a short date with a Honda CB350...many years later, back into the fray with a Moto Guzzi V7 III Special and now my Triumph.

• Like Like x 8
  13. cliverdee

cliverdee Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2014
    Nottingham
    #73 cliverdee, Jul 7, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2020
    This is a jolly good theme for nostalgia ! ... and made me think just what led me to get a bike at 16 when no one else in the family had any interest at all ... then I remembered that my brother at 4 years older had friends... one of whom used to turn up on a shiny black Velocette Venom dressed head to toe in Belstaff waxed cotton ... I still remember that thump thump thump from the big single .. made the whole bike shake... he took me for a ride at god knows what speed .. no helmet, just jeans and tee shirt and figured that a bike was the way to go ! .. my brother then got an MGB roadster so it was competition time to go faster than him... after learning on a Tiger Cub I got a BSA Road Rocket (cost £ 57) and that was that ! o_O

• Like Like x 5