What Does Your Motorcycle Know About You??

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Tigcraft, Sep 7, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Tigcraft

Tigcraft Unheard of Member

Mar 29, 2014
    Holmfirth West Yorkshire
    Just a frightening thought, it’s super that we live in a age where we are so technically advanced and have answers to problems at a click of a button but it can also go against us so terribly.

I’m just at a point of fancying another big bike but the ‘i’ bikes are taking over the planet. By that I mean the ‘intelligent’ info motor manufacturers hold about us riders ‘wants and habits’. I’ve been looking for something with ‘less’ techno rather than more and struggling to find that in new to newish bikes currently out there. These days manufacturers state that they collect info when a bike goes in for a service, what they can find out and don’t want to tell you is that when a bike has been over revved, ridden badly or anything else to that matter that they now can refuse a warranty claim on any defects arose.

The worst bit is that modern bikes now even record all starts, stops and speeds achieved throughout your weekend rides which is a little incriminating if you’ve ‘accidentally ‘ slipped up crept over the limit and done say 130+ mph!!!

• Useful Useful x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • WTF WTF x 1
  2. Tigcraft

Mar 29, 2014
    Holmfirth West Yorkshire
    Dare not think about it! I’m fancying a newish watercooled bmw boxer and it blatantly shows the days ride progress on screen!

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Drama Queen Drama Queen x 1
  3. joe mc donald

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    Something in this. When I took my sprint in a few years ago they tested the memory to see what speeds I was doing on the bike and if the engine was over revved as I was having problems with it.
    Regards
    Joe.

• Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  4. Tigcraft

Mar 29, 2014
    Holmfirth West Yorkshire
    Your not kidding about our freedom. The thing is we just aren’t aware of the speed of it creeping up on us. Old bikes will instantly shoot up in value soon!! Mark my words

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Eldon

Eldon Elite Member

Nov 14, 2018
    North Yorkshire
    How can you be so sure?
    We are not yet in a fully telemetric life but hopefully this will be after it matters to me ;)

6. Eldon

Eldon Elite Member

Nov 14, 2018
    North Yorkshire
    #6 Eldon, Sep 7, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2019
    A sad state of affairs but I'm not sure anyone could argue against your points!

7. Helmut Visor

Helmut Visor Only dead fish go with the flow
    Subscriber

Oct 3, 2018
    Three Counties
    Thanks for this, just had to go out and kill mine :tired_face::tired_face:

• Funny Funny x 7
  8. NightRider

NightRider Member

Aug 11, 2019
    Europe
    Surely everybody should keep an eye on this development, but at the moment I don't see any reason to panic. In the meantime a so far still gentle patronization has crept into our vehicles, but this could also become a serious threat to our personal rights if we don't act against it in time. We can still defend ourselves with electronic means and take corrective action with a little financial effort. However, there is also a certain difference between control and monitoring. :eyes:

So, if you're looking for a brand new bike that will allow you to completely and independently determine your style of driving, then it's for example the Royal Enfield Interceptor 650. This bike is very inexpensive, simple and not very sophisticated. I'm afraid BMW is at the top end of the technological ladder by comparison. ;)

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Useful Useful x 1
  9. Tigcraft

Mar 29, 2014
    Holmfirth West Yorkshire
    Saw it with my own eyes on a bike I was looking at!!!!

10. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar

8A65596B-F29E-45E5-9697-A481604040AB.jpeg

• Funny Funny x 2
  11. Eldon

Eldon Elite Member

Nov 14, 2018
    North Yorkshire
    Yes but is it logged or overwritten each trip/day/ service interval?

Could be a dangerous tool to use against the individual if it is and be an upgrade on the tachograph idea.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    It is actually an interesting philosophical and civic question to determine at what point data becomes surveillance....... we need to collectively answer it in the wider interests of democracy - and soon.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  13. capt

capt Elite Member

May 8, 2016
    western Australia
    The more modern the machine , the bigger the data memory card is , so more storage possible. So daily start ups with maximum revs and top speed reached per day , would become a daily record of your driving record .

• Useful Useful x 1
  14. Tigcraft

Mar 29, 2014
    Holmfirth West Yorkshire
    From what I’ve seen on speed storage I couldn’t verify without asking if it’s daily data or long term. I think you’d only have a problem if you got stopped for serious speeding, not if it’s a static camera. The thing is a lot of these higher powered bikes weren’t bought for 30mph!!

• Like Like x 2
  15. Bad Billy

Bad Billy Baddest Member

Jun 1, 2017
    Southern Softyville
    Ooh you could be in luck, I have a 600 Bandit for sale, one careful owner, never raced or rallied :p

• Funny Funny x 5
  16. mpllineman

mpllineman First Class Member

Feb 12, 2018
    Pearl,Ms.
    I agree sir! I have never swung my leg over the saddle of a modern bike, one that even has a computer! In that respect, you can't miss had. I'm not against high tech anything, hell, I'm sitting in my den now communicating with people across the atlantic ocean. I just like to keep my bike low tech, which is why I am happy with my 2006 Scrambler. I would like to ride an electric bike, just to see what it's like!

• Like Like x 4
  17. Old phart phred

Old phart phred Noble Member

Jun 23, 2019
    Ks
    LOL, I got a call at work to come home, walked into the house and the wife had a tin foil hat, arm guards, and kinda of a foil tunic on. She was out of foil and in the midst of a demonic battle and wanted me to go get some more foil.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  18. NightRider

NightRider Member

Aug 11, 2019
    Europe
    That depends on how and for what the storage space is used. The collection of engine data alone is not something bad, it helps the service workshop to take the necessary action in a timely manner. Much more problematic here is the use of artificial intelligence (AI). :eyes:

So, if we differentiate between control and monitoring, then we should also look at one of many examples in which AI is constructively used to control the engine. The Suzuki GSX-S750 is a clear case where intelligent engine management protects the motorcycle from the stupidity and/or impatience of its owner. Many owners don't even know that full engine power is not available right from the start. The lower gears initially have a speed limit, which disappears only after reaching a certain mileage. Only when this "barrier" (after 3000 km) has been breached has the bike reached its full performance. There are people who, because of sheer ignorance, are dissatisfied with their bike and therefore sell it prematurely. In terms of the life of the engine, this is a smart solution without permanently limiting the driver. :sun:

19. Old phart phred

Jun 23, 2019
    Ks
    I hated the break in period on my new bike, that was so ridiculous I knew THEY were monitoring to deny warranty coverage. 32gb flash memory is only a few $ and will keep enough data to boggle your mind. Will 32gb hold enough data for 100 hours of operation, hell yes and more. Speed, rpm, temps, pressures, throttle position, o2 sampled on one second intrevals. Throw in some braking or pitch anomalies to boot.

20. Old phart phred

Jun 23, 2019
    Ks
    Give me your address and will ship her by air, along with about 300 lb of religious books about demons and bibles.

• Funny Funny x 1