What Does This Bit Do?

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Mark9, Aug 31, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Mark9

Mark9 Noble Member

Jul 13, 2020
    Derby
    874717CF-20CB-493D-87D6-DC71D39159DE.jpeg
    Hi all, I’m new to Triumphs so I’ll start with a silly question:), on the near side of my 2016 1200 Thruxton is this clear plastic pipe, it appears to be sealed at the end and has a small amount of what I assume is coolant in it (and what appears to be the remains of a wasp!, but that could just be some other form of detritus), anyway could anyone tell me what it’s function is?, thanks Mark.

2. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    It would appear to be the drain from your air box. You have a crankcase breather hose that discharges into the air box behind the filter where fumes are re-cycled. Any oil mist and condensation accumulation needs an exit route. That small hose with a nipped end (to prevent unfiltered air being drawn in) is it....... so not such a silly question.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Mark9

Mark9 Noble Member

Jul 13, 2020
    Derby
    That would explain why I couldn’t find it on the coolant system schematic, thanks.

• Like Like x 1
  4. dilligaf

dilligaf Guest

It’s a wasp trap :p

• Funny Funny x 5
  5. Mark9

Mark9 Noble Member

Jul 13, 2020
    Derby
    It would appear so :), what threw me was that the liquid trapped in there is pink, coolant I thought!, at least it makes more sense having an insect in there now I know it’s attached to the air box.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Yorkshireman

Yorkshireman Crème de la Crème

Dec 12, 2015
    Barnsley
    It better not be coolant, there should be no way of coolant getting into the airbox. It's more likely to be the colour of the tubing and a bit of moisture. It's made relatively clear so you can see the build up of gunk and clean as necessary.

• Like Like x 1