What Does An Approved Used Triumph Warranty Mean To You?

Discussion in 'Triumph General Discussion' started by timboo, Sep 26, 2022.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. timboo

timboo Senior Member

Oct 17, 2021
    Cambridgeshire
    #1 timboo, Sep 26, 2022
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2022
    I would have liked to be able to start this as a poll. Unfortunately I don’t have a scooby do how to do that. Out of curiosity I’d like to get some responses to understand if the attachments are misleading or not.

Images relating to the warranty were taken directly from Blade Motorcycles and Triumph UK website. They looked identical at time of taking the screen shot.

I’d be very grateful if you can you answer the below questions based upon the images and the basic info only which I have provided.

The bike shown in the images has the following:
    Full Triumph service history
    1 owner from new
    Just over 2600 miles on the clock
    Advertised For sale at a Triumph main dealer

Questions

1. Would you say the motorcycle is an approved used motorcycle?
    2. How long does the approved used warranty appear to last?
    3. Do you think the warranty costs anything?

Finally After submitting your responses read this

https://www.ducati.com/gb/en/service-maintenance/ducati-approved

Whats your thoughts now?

Once there has been some level of feedback I will cover what Blade motorcycles advised me when I discovered my fault xref Blade motorcycles blood from a stone’ thread and another london based Triumph main dealer.

Thanks

8D0A877F-E304-4B40-89F4-444C81204ED6.jpeg

4372E4E0-EAD0-4564-8239-0694FBC280CB.png

21F6F121-31A2-4123-87B4-B734AC9EDA42.png

CEF481C2-5A32-40D4-8FBC-E49DF8775954.png

63EE7E44-F85E-457C-A5D0-E399D8B04C53.jpeg

EE9D99CA-292A-45F1-B6C9-AB9475D7D623.png

7A540FD3-B0E9-44E1-9869-3194C4A0811B.jpeg

2. timboo

timboo Senior Member

Oct 17, 2021
    Cambridgeshire
    Apologies I dont seem to be able to delete the wardrobe and golf lesson images.

• Funny Funny x 2
  3. Helmut Visor

Helmut Visor Only dead fish go with the flow
    Subscriber

Oct 3, 2018
    Three Counties
    Having bought a Triumph Approved bike I got exactly what it states. I believe they can only give it for vehicles that have full Triumph service history and only up to a certain age (3 or 5 years rings a bell). Mine was bought at Destination Triumph in Guilford in '18 which is no longer trading.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Pegscraper

Pegscraper Elite Member

Jun 12, 2020
    Yorkshire
    The dealer I bought my SS from currently has 15 used Triumphs in stock from 16 to 21 plate, ranging from a few hundred to a few thousand miles and some with FSH but, curiously, if you search their stock for "Triumph Approved Used" bikes it says they have non that meet the criteria?
    My take on it (I could be wrong) is that the Triumph Approved Used warranty is not overseen and backed directly by the factory, unlike the warranty on new machines. If you check out the Car Care Plan Ltd website you will see they are a multi national company providing warranties for many vehicle makes. As the advert says, used Triumphs for sale by dealers have certain criteria to meet to qualify for the Triumph Approved Used warranty, over and above the standard minimum 3 months that all used vehicles sold commercially should have if they are out of the new vehicle warranty period. I remember Quentin Wilson advertising third party warranties on the box some time ago but can't just remember the name of the company.

I notice the advert with the picture of the bike says "Blade Approved Used Motorcycles", not "Triumph Approved Used".

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. timboo

timboo Senior Member

Oct 17, 2021
    Cambridgeshire
    Come on folks any more takers?

6. Iceman

Iceman Crème de la Crème

Apr 19, 2020
    Lancashire
    Looking at the advert for Blade Motorcycles my take is exactly like Pegscraper describes in his post, most reputable independent dealers offer their own 3 months warranty, and extension say 12 or 24 months is done via a care plan provider, but be warned these are not straightforward when a claim is made, these plan providers use engineers to visit the machine and assess the claim validity, in a lot of cases the repair is rejected using spurious rider fault related issues that they deemed to have invalidated the claim. These care plans are not given away free by dealers, you either pay up front or the cost is incorporated into the machines retail price. All this said it does not affect a person's rights under consumer law, the bottom line is "it must be fit for purpose".

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. bobw

bobw Well-Known Member

Jul 6, 2018
    Southampton,UK
    As others have said the bike appears to come with an insurance backed warranty i guess the bike is out of manufacturers warranty? as you don't say age of bike.In my experience they like most insurance policies tend to do anything not to pay out.I have had policies on cars and the small print needs lots of careful reading as to what is covered.In a lot of cases fluids oils etc and in some cases seals are not. What the insurance company deem wear and tear and rider abuse is not and a large number of claims are rejected on this alone.Most policies only cover mechanical failure which you may have to get an independent expert to confirm.Not having any dealings with Blade motorcycles I don't know what level of support you would get from them.What are they like as a reputable dealer?.Unfortunately we live in a world where good old fashioned service and reputability is not in abundance.Its a case of buyer beware.

• Agree Agree x 3
  8. Martylaa

Martylaa Well-Known Member

Jun 26, 2021
    Wynyard
    Interesting thread, I've been looking at a few Thruxton Rs bikes on the approved bikes list under various Triumph dealerships. After reading the blood from a stone thread I am starting to become apprehensive about these bikes on the approved list as too what exactly you'd be covered for...

• Agree Agree x 3
  9. Iceman

Iceman Crème de la Crème

Apr 19, 2020
    Lancashire
    Hi Martylaa you are right to be cautious, the Triumph Approved machines are covered by a third-party insurance scheme and not by Triumph or the Dealers, they have many get out clauses, there are some great Triumph Dealers out there that offer their own warranty, one such dealer is Philip Youles Motorcycles with showrooms in Blackburn and Manchester, they are a trustworthy family run dealership with excellent back up. Unfortunately, there are more and more shockingly poor Triumph Dealerships that are more interested in profits rather than customer care, my advice would be to go from friends recommendations and above all your own "gut feelings"

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. learningtofly

learningtofly He’s not the Messiah, he’s a very naughty boy!
    Subscriber

Sep 25, 2018
    Hertfordshire
    #10 learningtofly, Oct 18, 2022
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2022
    Yes, tend to agree. Regardless of whether a bike is Triumph approved or not I'd be looking at the dealership and getting a really good feel for whether they're one that gives you a sense of comfort.

I've been using Lind for some time, for both Triumph and HD - very good quality of customer service and aftercare to the extent that I'll often pop in to both - they're in adjacent units - for a coffee and a chat (which they're very happy to accommodate, it seems, no doubt because they've got a good handle on my buying habits).

• Like Like x 3
  11. Martylaa

Martylaa Well-Known Member

Jun 26, 2021
    Wynyard
    #11 Martylaa, Oct 18, 2022
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2022
    Thanks guys, anyone have any dealings with DaveDeath Motorcycles or A1 Motorcycles in York, they are two places I’m looking at.

Blades in Cheltenham have a new or pre reg Thruxton I’m interested but again I’m not sure if it’s classed as Approved Truimph or new and with reading the thread about Blades I’m not sure I’d wanna go down that route tbh.

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. timboo

timboo Senior Member

Oct 17, 2021
    Cambridgeshire
    Hiya I had an aftersales dealing with Dave death motorcycles relating to an accessory they went above and beyond here is a link. On that basis I’d recommend those guys appreciate a motorcycle is a different kettle of fish.

https://www.thetriumphforum.com/threads/triumph-genuine-bobbins-part-a9640022.30393/#post-560520

In terms of Blade Motorcycles Cheltenham. My thread Blood from a stone heavily involved Richard from that branch with him being head of motorcycles across the business as far as I am aware.

• Like Like x 2
  13. timboo

timboo Senior Member

Oct 17, 2021
    Cambridgeshire
    To add to all of this coincidentally my gear level assembly broke during my first ride after getting my bike back from repair.
    The bolt had worked its way out until it broke unbeknown to me.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Iceman

Iceman Crème de la Crème

Apr 19, 2020
    Lancashire
    I would avoid Blade at all costs, DaveDeath Motorcycles do have a good reputation, have you thought about reaching out to a forum member to see if they could look over any potential purchase you have in mind and more importantly the "dealer", there are lots of very knowledgeable and skilled forum members who I am sure would help you out, I am not close enough to assist otherwise I would be more than happy to help. Keep the forum posted on progress.

• Like Like x 2
  15. TRIPLE X

TRIPLE X Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2021
    Downham Market, Norfolk
    When I lived in Backburn, Philip Youles was my dealer. Bought a couple of new bikes off them and they were always good to deal with. Got to know Philip personally.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. TRIPLE X

TRIPLE X Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2021
    Downham Market, Norfolk
    Nothing but positive dealings with A1 in the past. Always helpful.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Iceman

Iceman Crème de la Crème

Apr 19, 2020
    Lancashire
    #17 Iceman, Oct 18, 2022
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2022
    Hi Martylaa, have a look at Philip Youles website, they have a few low mileage 1 owner Thruxton R machines for sale, give them a ring and ask whatever questions you have, (you don't even have to be buying a machine from them), they are knowledgeable and friendly, you will then get a flavour of what level of customer care you should get from other dealers. Personally, I have bought and sold lots of motorcycles to them over the years, customer care is their number one mantra, they even replace bulbs under warranty. One of the salespeople (Royce) is also a fully qualified motorcycle mechanic so he knows his way around a machine.

• Like Like x 3